Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Army List: Tau

Post subject: Army List: Tau
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The 40k riptide has BS3, it benefit is in it's resilience, access to heavy weapons and being able to wallop hard targets in cc due to being an mc. Without markerlight support it's not a particularly reliable shot.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Army List: Tau
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Alf O'Mega wrote:
Without markerlight support it's not a particularly reliable shot.

That pretty much covers the entire Tau army as well given they are no better shots than a guardsman ;D

Matt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yet, in NetEpic they are.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think it is given that the use of Markerlights is taken into account with the profile. Then you have a few extra units who can provide a bit more directed marking for shenanigans.

Still amuses me that guardsmen and marines have the same to hit :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mattman wrote:
I think it is given that the use of Markerlights is taken into account with the profile. Then you have a few extra units who can provide a bit more directed marking for shenanigans.

Still amuses me that guardsmen and marines have the same to hit :D

Hi!

It has to do with using a d6 for resolution. Not enough granularity for real meaningful stat differences. I wish they had used the d10 or even 2d6 for that. You can easily have a nice spread with those combinations.

Now I have the terrible idea of doing this and its all your fault! :P

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

D10 would be OK, but I hate 2D6. Figuring the odds of things on the fly is a pain with bell curves.

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ForgottenLore wrote:
D10 would be OK, but I hate 2D6. Figuring the odds of things on the fly is a pain with bell curves.

Hi!

hehe, I know what you mean. ;D

I'm a strong advocate for d10 use. Its decimal, its quick and everyone has immediate grasp on the probability before the die roll.

It hasn't been done since the net epic fans keep me on a tight leash. ;)

While I am not a mathematician by trade, I do like to play around with probability curves, so I'd probably do both. But I definitely agree that the d10 is king. :D

I'll be posting up a summary of things that need to be done with the revision soon. Looks like a good amount of controversial topics have been covered and a consensus reached.

Only thing left is proof reading all the books (thanks for the ones you did!) and I think that may be it.

All the side projects can be tackled individually.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So lets see here, 2nd draft of Riptide stats
Quote:
Riptide Battlesuit Mk.1

Move - 20cm
Save - 4+/6+f
CAF - +3
Elite, Jump Pack, Special

Heavy Burst Cannon - 50cm - 6 AD - 4+ 2H - 0TSM
Smart Missiles - 50cm - 1AD - 4+ 2H - 0TSM

Quote:
Riptide Battlesuit Mk.2

Move - 20cm
Save - 4+/6+f
CAF - +3
Elite, Jump Pack, Special

Ion Accelerator - 75cm - 3AD - 4+ 2H - -2TSM
Plasma Rifles - 50cm - 1AD - 4+ 2H - -2TSM

All I can think of for the Nova Reactor is to treat it like a psyker with an option to choose one of three "powers" each turn,

1) Choose one weapons system, you may reroll that weapon's attacks this turn.
2) The Riptide's Move is increased to ...what, 30cm?
3) The Riptide's Fixed Armour Save is increased to 5+ for this turn. (is that enough? In 40K it is a 3+ invulnerable save, but a 4+ fixed in NE seemed too powerful)

Riptide Wing - Support Detachment of 3 Riptide suits costing ????? points.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

primarch wrote:
Those whom wish to supervise this list, please state so in your post and compile an editable document of the changes that are posted.

Well, since I seem to have all this enthusiasm for Epic right now, and no one else has stepped up, I guess I am volunteering to "maintain an editable document of any changes". What exactly does that mean I am supposed to do again?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ForgottenLore wrote:
primarch wrote:
Those whom wish to supervise this list, please state so in your post and compile an editable document of the changes that are posted.

Well, since I seem to have all this enthusiasm for Epic right now, and no one else has stepped up, I guess I am volunteering to "maintain an editable document of any changes". What exactly does that mean I am supposed to do again?

Hi!

First off my thanks for stepping in!

Second, I mean a text or word document or any other format that we can share and anyone can change alter or modify. That means we can share the file and everyone involved can edit as needed.

Thanks!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

But host such a document where? I don't think anything I upload to this site can be edited by other people.

My thinking was that I should restart this thread so that I can edit the first post and simply maintain a list of all the changes and edits we come up with there for anyone to read, but if it is necessary for everyone to be able to make changes directly, I'm not sure how to go about doing that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ForgottenLore wrote:
But host such a document where? I don't think anything I upload to this site can be edited by other people.

My thinking was that I should restart this thread so that I can edit the first post and simply maintain a list of all the changes and edits we come up with there for anyone to read, but if it is necessary for everyone to be able to make changes directly, I'm not sure how to go about doing that.

Hi!

Send the document to me directly at pramos10@cox.net

I will then send it to anyone whom needs it. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I received my gears today.

I'm no religious guy, but I swear I heard angels sing when I unboxed these little miracles. I've been modeling and painting for almost 30 years now. All scales and periodes, but I don't think I've ever seen anything like this... Size wise they were significantly smaller than expected and will fit the role perfectly.

I also succumbed to picking up a copy of the latest version of the Tau codex,and found that the riptides are all shas'vre. Should they then be treated as commanders with regards to movementand fire?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@ringo wrote:
I received my gears today.

I'm no religious guy, but I swear I heard angels sing when I unboxed these little miracles. I've been modeling and painting for almost 30 years now. All scales and periodes, but I don't think I've ever seen anything like this... Size wise they were significantly smaller than expected and will fit the role perfectly.

I also succumbed to picking up a copy of the latest version of the Tau codex,and found that the riptides are all shas'vre. Should they then be treated as commanders with regards to movementand fire?

Hi!

Sweet! If you can get some pictures I'd be very interested in seeing the relative scale to GW stuff.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey Ringo, I just discovered I picked the same Heavy Gears you did to stand in for Riptides. Great Minds think alike I guess. And I agree with you, they are just about perfect for the role.

On another subject, I wanted to talk about Kroot. I'm a big Kroot fan. I've been working on a 40K Kroot mercenary army for years, it was Deacon's Avian miniatures that get me seriously into giving epic a go finally. They are one of my favorite races in the 40K universe.

I pretty much hate how NetEpic treats them. The Eaters of the Dead rule, the Default Orders rule and the Kroot Hordes rule all combine to make me feel like I don't have any control over my army, which is very bad. Additionally, after rereading the rules in the army book it is clear that what it is saying is that if a Tau army has any Kroot then they cannot take any other allies, which I think is very counter to what it is supposed to be and how the Tau should feel flavor wise.

So, is there anything we can do about this? Honestly, I'm not sure I see any need for any of those 3 rules. The Eaters of the Dead I can at least where it came from (but 40K got rid of it 2 codexes ago) but the other 2 seem completely random, especially the default orders rule which makes the Kroot seem more like mindless tyranid creatures unless a Shaper is around to exert synapse control.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next