Login |  Register |  FAQ

Question about the nature of the Recon Vehicle

Post subject: Question about the nature of the Recon Vehicle
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Both the PDF and Frateris Militia lists include a model called a "Recon Vehicle". Both are described as fast wheeled vehicles, but both are pictured as bland, tracked boxes that don't look fast at all. Also, both lists have the formations for Recon including Infantry, yet the Recon Vehicle itself does not have Transport, and there is no note saying whether the Infantry and Vehicles have to maintain coherency, thus the default is that they do. Having to maintain coherency with Infantry rather defeats the purpose of fast vehicles. Thus I suggest either of two changes.

A: Drop the Infantry from the Recon formations, and change the image to the following. This is what my mental image for a "recon vehicle" defaults to.
http://www.ghqmodels.com/store/n522.html

B: Keep the Infantry in the formations and give the vehicle: Transport 1 Infantry. Replace the image to the following.
http://www.ghqmodels.com/store/n63.html

Actually, I've found that GHQ models (from any era or army) work well for making a PDF army, or perhaps an exotic Guard one.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Question about the nature of the Recon Vehicle
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I don't have a preference here.

If no one else comments, pick the one you prefer Magnus.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Really? Nobody has an opinion on this model? Are Frateris Militia or PDF used at all?

Fine. In that case I choose A. We drop the Infantry from their formations and change the picture to that, or something equally dune-buggy-ish.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:58 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A looks like an Elysian Tauros which is a scouting vehicle, while B is just a humvee and would look out of place in 40k so I think A is a good choice.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You could use the DRM Buggies, if you are looking for a light wheeled Recon Vehicle - http://www.darkrealmminiatures.co.uk/st ... t=3&page=1 http://www.darkrealmminiatures.co.uk/st ... t=3&page=1 Now note: the FAV could be used a Recon Vehicle, which it is suited for. The HUMMWV is a Utility Vehicle, hence the U was inserted in it's abbreviated designation. Back then ... It can be use for recon, driving the Major to the PX, delivering chow, etc., etc. As far as Recon, we were trained in dismounted recon as cadets. Then in the 101 ABN our Scouts were dismounted and inserted by chopper, walked, etc. ... Later the 101 Scouts were issued 7 Motorcycles. Suzuki Dirt Bikes, IIRC. When I was in the 2ID in the ROK, our Scout plt had 7 M151 Jeeps. Then the Mech Scout Plts were issued 3 - M113 APCs and 3 of AT version, the M901 ITV. And that was the standard for Mech units. Eventually the 101 Scouts were issued HUMMWVs, IIRC ... So you have many options for Recon units ... Also note - ie: Scouts = Recon, just FYI ...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

MagnusIlluminus wrote:
Really? Nobody has an opinion on this model? Are Frateris Militia or PDF used at all?

Fine. In that case I choose A. We drop the Infantry from their formations and change the picture to that, or something equally dune-buggy-ish.

Hi!

To be frank, this was stuff that got in when "I wasn't looking" (in a time I was not involved in the revision).

So feel free to modify/change/omit for platinum on any of these. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'd prefer a wheeled recon vehicle.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hena wrote:
Compeltely a side note. Does anyone have a comparison of size for the GHQ FAV (as compared to a GHQ truck or tank, possibly even GW model)? Or alternatively dimensions for it?

Well I don't have the model, but as generally most GHQ AFVs, Trucks, etc., IMO, are a bit small. That being said, a FAV is smaller then the old Jeep. It's a Dune Buggy in civilian lingo. It's pretty small and again IMO, too small for GW Epic Scale ... If you want a FAV in Epic Scale go with DRM Buggies or CinC SEM has some nice 4 & 6 wheeled vehicles too ... http://www.pfc-cinc.com/solar_empire_ma ... tml?page=1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

For Platinum? Sure, I suppose that as well, but the formation makes no sense in Gold and I was really talking about changing it for Gold. As far as I'm concerned, this should be considered "correcting a typo" and changed in Gold.

Either of those DRM minis could be used, though the gun on the first one looks a bit on the large side. The second one is probably more inline with the stats on the Recon vehicle as it is.

As to the size of the GHQ FAV, I don't have one myself, but I did find a tread talking about that...
http://www.taccmd.tacticalwargames.net/ ... &view=next

I do agree that GHQ is generally a bit small for Epic scale, but then again the internal scale in Epic varies all over the place so they would probably be good enough.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

MagnusIlluminus wrote:
For Platinum? Sure, I suppose that as well, but the formation makes no sense in Gold and I was really talking about changing it for Gold. As far as I'm concerned, this should be considered "correcting a typo" and changed in Gold.

Either of those DRM minis could be used, though the gun on the first one looks a bit on the large side. The second one is probably more inline with the stats on the Recon vehicle as it is.

As to the size of the GHQ FAV, I don't have one myself, but I did find a tread talking about that...
http://www.taccmd.tacticalwargames.net/ ... &view=next

I do agree that GHQ is generally a bit small for Epic scale, but then again the internal scale in Epic varies all over the place so they would probably be good enough.

Hi!

Given no one has chimed in on it, I'm okay with changing it for gold as well. ;)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In my first post I noted that our Mech Scouts/Recon had 6 AFVs in a Plt. 3 M113 APCs & 3 M901 ATs ... That unit, like the WWII German Armored Recon units, was designed so (the heavily armed AFVs) the M901s with their heavy AT Missiles could help the M113s fallback if/when they get into trouble. So, I'm probably going to use 3 of each type of the DRM FAVs in my Scout Unit ...