Login |  Register |  FAQ

Floaters and Bombs

Post subject: Floaters and Bombs
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 1:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Helllo,

the question arised during a game when the Tyranids players assumed he could drop the Harridan bombs during an Harridan Charge order move.

I always assumed that the bombs attacks are considered shooting attacks with Range 0 therefore Advance or First Fire orders are needed. Actually the formulation of the rule in the Tyrindas army book is not so clear.

How do you handle bomb attacks with Floaters?

Thanks

"The truth is usually just an excuse
for a lack of imagination"
-Elim Garak
---
Net Epic Gold Games 2021-22 W-D-L
Squat 8-0-3
Imperial Guard 1-0-2

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Floaters and Bombs
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 8:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A bit unclear indeed. But to be honest, for me and my opponent, it's never been an issue. Me playing Squats, I only have the Overlord, that is a flier/floater. The base movement of the Overlord is only 15cm so I have honestly never been able to put my bombs to use. Putting the overlord on charge for a bit more movement, sacrificing all those juicy die/cannons has never really been an option :)
The flier rules in NEG states that a charge order doesn't increase the base movement, it just makes it possible for the flier to engage other fliers in CC. My ork fellow that has one model of the Blasta Bommas, and that one has an insane movement of 100cm, so it's just always felt like a waste putting it on charge. Advance is basically the only useful move in our battles.

I would probably allow it to drop bombs when on charge since the attack is immediately resolved. But that might be because I know in our battles, it basically never happens.

For us playing only Squats vs. Orks it's honestly never been an issue. The only floater (I don't count the observation balloon here ;) ) I have, playing Squats, has such a low movement (15cm) that I have never had the chance to use the bombs it has. Putting it on charge and sacrificing all those juicy cannons has never been an option for me :)
My ork fellow player has on one occasion used the Blasta Bomma, and that flier has an insane movement of 100cm, again making

Post subject: Re: Floaters and Bombs
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In looking at all of the rules involved, I'd say that "Drop Things" (point 5 of all Floater & Flyer rules on pages 24 to 26 of the NetEpicGoldCoreRules pdf) works independently of the orders the model has, if any. If anything, being on First Fire orders (for a Floater/Flyer means landing troops) might prevent dropping bombs if they were considered normal weapons that fired during the combat phase. But they aren't, as they happen during Movement phase, thus they ignore orders entirely. Since the Harridan's rules do not specify that they work differently than the base rules, they follow the base rules.

So your opponent was correct. Sorry if that disappoints.