Login |  Register |  FAQ

Tzeench Firelord question

Post subject: Tzeench Firelord question
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Helllo there!

Last week I had the first game against my Chaos-playing buddy. He fielded a quite odd army, made up with Magnis the Red, two Firelords, six Doomwings and a company of Minotaurs and Trolls on Rhinos.
I was scared at the beginning, but I brought home the battle anyway!
During play a doubt came up.. the Firelord can shoot up to three bombs per turn, or has only three bombs that can be launched as the player prefers (much like the Colossus' missiles) ?
Since I was already winning, I gladly accepted my friends' interpretation of the rule (Up to three per turn) but I am not so sure...

Thank you!!!

"The truth is usually just an excuse
for a lack of imagination"
-Elim Garak
---
Net Epic Gold Games 2021-22 W-D-L
Squat 8-0-3
Imperial Guard 1-0-2

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Tzeench Firelord question
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The way I have played it, the Fire Lord has a total of three Bombs that can be dropped. Not 3 per turn. This is how the value for it is set in the Points Formula. Looking at the description in the Chaos with errata2 pdf I can see how the other interpretation is possible though. Except when you look at the compiled stats for it on page 58, it says "Drop up to 3 Bombs." It does not say "... per turn." My interpretation is that if it meant per turn it would say that. This is something that could be phrased more clearly.

I was going to look it up in the 2nd edition rules to see how it was phrased then, but it was in an issue of White Dwarf that I just don't have handy at the moment, and I'm not quite sure which one offhand either. I'm sure it can be looked up.

As a technicality, the Bombs are neither "shot" nor "launched", but rather are dropped during movement. Unfortunately, this isn't clearly stated in the description. It is likely a case of it being written by people who knew it well and assumed the reader would as well. In any event, the initial placement of a Bomb template must be directly under the path of movement of the Fire Lord.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hello and thank you for the reply. This is exactly as I read the rule, and I did not think to go checking White Dwarf for the original rules that could confirm our idea!
I will go to check.. I think I have the WD in my collection, I just need to understand the issue! ;D

-Elim Garak
---
Squat 8-0-3
Imperial Guard 1-0-2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Oh well..

White Dwarf #159, March 1993 (My god.. I was 15..), page 34
A Fire Lord can drop clusters of fiirestorm bombs as it moves. It can drop three barrage templates of bombs directly beneath itself as it moves. These must be in a straight line with each template touching at least one another. If the Fire Lord ends its move at high level, scatter the bomb templates D6 cm in a random direction. The templates are then left in place until the close combat phase and their effects are calculated then. This is so units on first fire orders have a chanche to fire at the Fire Lord as it passes over them. If the Fire Lord is destroyed, take off all three bomb templates - the Fire Lord was shot down as it tried to make its attack run. If the Fire Lord survive, calculate the damage from the bombs. Each model touched by a bomb template suffers a hit on a roll of 3 or more on a D6. Models hit suffer a -3 saving throw modifier.

English is not my first language, so I ask for your help.. but written like this, it makes me tend slightly more towards the "3 bombs per turn" idea.

-Elim Garak
---
Squat 8-0-3
Imperial Guard 1-0-2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

'It can drop three barrage templates of bombs directly beneath itself as it moves.'

I always read that as being per turn, and would expect much more restrictive wording if it was limited to three for the whole game.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Reading that again, I agree, that does give more weight to the "per turn" interpretation. Now I wonder how other long time players have interpreted that. Primarch, for instance. Or how it is done in the recently posted French rules. Unfortunately, I can't read french.