Login |  Register |  FAQ

Proposed rule amendment for Flyer rules

Post subject: Re: Proposed rule amendment for Flyer rules
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:56 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

With current Gold rules:

About embarked troops in a transport, you activate both transported troops and the flyer in the same activation only if flyer and embarked troops are in the same detachment. For example, if I place some Chaos Raptors in a Dreadclaw, they are 2 different activations and my raptors can not exit from the dreadclaw when I activate my dreadclaw. I'll need to wait for my next activation to disembark my raptors.
Few detachments contains both a flying transport and transported troops: IG Airborne & SM Silver Skulls.

With my flyer movement segment:
this does not change many things about the flyer efficiency, you'll still see the fighters moving fast and being target by AA or 360° weapons on first fire, as it's played at the moment. But this will allow more dogfights. If I pick 2 fliers detachments, I know that I'll have the opportunity to engage a dog fight in the air (unless my opponent only have some flying transports on first fire order) or his flyers are too far away from me. Even if his bombers move in the flier movement segment and don't have ground targets to bombard (unless my opponent has performed some move with teleport/deep strike/tunnel/scout troops), all bombers have some ranged attacks that could be resolved during Advance Fire segment as per Gold Rules.
This "new" flyer/floater activation segment after compulsary segment will avoid the "I pick as many activations as possible to protect my flyers". With current rules, the more activations you have, the more your flyers are "protected" from other flyers: move all your ground troops first and let your opponent uses all his activations. Once he has no more activations, move all your flyers to be sure he won't have opportunity to engage yours in close combat.

The game segments would be:
- deploy armies
- perform infiltration
- place orders
- compulsary move
- flyer/floaters movement activation (bombers with the according rule can drop bombs)
- "ground" troops activation
- first fire segment
- close combat segment
- advance fire segment
- end turn segment

The game sequence change is very minor and as I said, I'll playtest it in games after the Volcano In Paris event that will stick with "official" Gold Rules. I'll post feedback there, even if it's to say "finally that was not a good idea" ;)

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Proposed rule amendment for Flyer rules
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Let us know how it goes. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules