Login |  Register |  FAQ

The future of Incoming

Post subject: The future of Incoming
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:57 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi all,

Issue 11 saw my editiorial skills (not much at the time) for the first time with lots of things and ideas bouncing in my head.

Issue 20 will be my tenth and final issue. ?After a wedding and then losing my mum middle of this year I have found that I cannot plug any gaps that are left if the incoming issue doesnt have the 5 articles we liked to keep for variety.

Issue 20 has so far

Tom's fiction
Fifth Horseman's astartes list
Warmaster Nice conversion article
Epic Interviews done by Tom and I
My forgeworld Knights units
and a battle report which I should be able to do if I manage to paint up the last stands of kroot for the rules requirement which will be used against Eldar.

While on the one hand I have really enjoyed painting up the kroot and look forward to a game of E:A this weekend, I have had to take time off. ?My time consists only of waking up, painting an hour, working and then painting and sleep. ?

With the sale of my parents house and a lot of stuff needing to be done since my dad has decided to just up and leave for another country, I as the oldest have to sort things out and make sure the will and other nasties are dealt with.

Which means I would like to step back and allow someone else to take over and give Incoming the time it needs to be successful.

My thanks go to:

Matt Stuart, Reuben Parker, Jyrki Saari, Paul Tuffskull, Andrea Willie, Iain Werry, Bill Ely, Tom Webb, The Fifth Horseman, Nils Saugen, Krooza, David Mcloud, Warmaster Nice, Mark Conz, Vanvlak and Norman Meredith for the artciles that were sent to fill the last 10 issues and of course many thanks to those whose pics had filled the 'eavy Metal' Showcase

My best wishes to my Successor! (When that has been decided :) )

Doug

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think I speak for everyone when I thank you for the years of painstakingly editing each issue :D. I know for one that editing my fiction alone must take ages (I am dyslexic and it shows in my grammer!)

It has been great working with you Doug and I hope to work with you on many other projects in the future. (And pass out after drinking far too much vodka on many other nights out in the future).

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/thenewtonwebb
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/thenewtonwebb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well done Doug, you have done a fantastic job over the years, Incoming! has been growing in quality a lot, and its a real treat for all us Epic players whenever it is released!
Best of luck for the future! Hope to see you again at the next Gamesday (and fail to be recogised again :p )...

~G

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:36 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Agreed. The mark of success is to leave something in a better state than you found it, and you have certainly done that. I hope that you will continue to frequent these boards, and good luck to the poor victi... worthy successor to the editorial role!  :;):

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I can only agree with everything that has been said. Thanks for all your hard work, for putting up with my, at times, questionable english grammar and for contributing to the Epic hobby in such a significant and extremely positive way.
Like CS said I hope you continue to frequent these boards whenever you find the time :;):

Cheers!:)

Nobody expects the Inquisition!!!
http://theepiclounge.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Amen to all the above, good luck in future endeavors and also hope to 'see' you around here from time to time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It was a great ride Doug, your sub will have a tough time emulating your efforts. Thanks and cheers and stay around. :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

My most appreciative thanks!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for all of your hard work, Doug!

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:00 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Hi

I only got into Incoming late when I joined this forum after the release of Epic A. So I have only read the last few issues of Epic A related material. But I did enjoy the little I did read. It was like a gaming magazine written by gamers for gamers....

Thanks Doug for all the work you put in to get these issues together and good luck to whoever picks up the baton.

Cheers

James

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tom has mentioned that there were a few replies so I thought I would nip in to reply to all.

Thanks for the kind words and its nice that people do view incoming as a great read as its not easy to ensure what you are doing is what people like.

I think in short one of the reasons I decided to call it a day is because at the moment incoming lives on what is sent in, and as the editor I found it a hard choice to decide shall I release something half empty or not at all. ? Incoming has come a long way but its not through me but by what people have sent in, I just put it together and make it look pretty. ?I have been more than happy to do at least one article as its not so hard. ?More than that is a push on time.

So the thing is incoming as it stands after issue 20 has nothing with exception to the marine rules from Fifth Horseman. ?I would be then pushing Tom for his fiction and then hopefully work on as many articles possible to work on the missing three articles. ?Obviously it helps if someone sends something in which is used straight away. So you see my dilema? ?If all I had to do was edit I wouldnt step down as its hard for me to do it now :(

Battle reports are scarce and I was trying to arrange games which means driving to Stuggart where Sven Kubein lives

http://www.sven-kubein.de/main/content/epic/index.html

or pestering Tom and flying over there which in the end costs money which I wouldnt have normally invested as I havent been flying regularly to London. ?The only other way is to play against myself :(

So while on the one hand I find it a shame to step down, the problem wont go away for the next guy either. ?

So what should we do? I know people dont have loads of time and I am fine with that. As a 'responsible editor' who enjoys what he does I just dont want the successor to suffer the same fate. ?I at least had a head start with articles and it slower went down with people having other commitments. This time round I have nothing to offer/pass on as articles to continue incoming........

I do apologise guys but Incoming needs to be reviewed at least to decide how we keep it going.

Doug

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I certainly see your point Doug.

Perhaps one way of reducing the work load is to have several editors. Say one (probably an english naitive speaker) who can proof read the stuff sent in and another who sets up the issue so it looks nice and perhaps a third one who does the web stuff.

Of course having several editors means that communication between the editors become an increasingly important issue for everything to run smoothly. The risk of errors rises proportionally.

It is probably difficult to come up with a solution to the slow flow of new articles. I suppose the publications may have to be a bit irregular. Another solution is to have a "central magazine" which is released every 3 months or so coupled with a "Incoming!-light" which could feature the odd article or two just to keep interest in the mag. This could also be used to release "extra" material (if say the editors suddenly find themselves with 3 or 4 painting articles which they cannot cram into the same issue)

Anyway just a few thoughts to get the ball rolling. :;):

Personally I wouldn't mind trying to set up an issue (the visual editing) -it's part of my study after all so it would be good training. If nothing else as a temporary experiment. However since English isn't my first language I don't think I would be of much use doing the part of editing which deals with grammar and stuff.

Cheers! :)

Nobody expects the Inquisition!!!
http://theepiclounge.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I would agree and it wouldnt be so daunting.  Though I found that if I had the material I was quite ok to do the rest.

Without the material an editor is nothing ;)

I did like the idea of Warp Rift where people were in charge of sections to ensure that an article is written but then you have to commit which not everyone is able to do.

I find that for me one painting article is doable because my painting is slower being a picky person and I only want the minis to look their best so I put time into it.

Then its a case of finding the other three articles.

I thought of maybe writing on how far I have got trying to find OOP stuff like masters of models but I thought after the first article it would get boring so I could only do that once. and it still needs to be interesting

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think we will all agree that during Dougs reign, Incoming! went from being an amateur ezine with a few cobbled together articles released in a word document to being a large and professional EZine. As such we maintain this professionalism, if it lapsed to how it was beforehand then we would get complaints and we would lose the ever increasing numbers of readers which Doug has succeeded in winning.

The things that I feel are definately required are as follows:

1) An article bank - no more last minute panics, we need a bank of at least 8, preferably 16 articles that can be drawn upon when needed. Then the editor whomever it may be doesn't have to just take whatever he has buy can decide upon a theme and then use the articles that fit that theme.

2) A dedicated team, it is lonely at the top, and the editor has no back up, when he is ill, on holiday or just plain needs a break there is nobody to fall back on. I suggest we gather together a group. The editor is in charge and should forfil a managerial role and oversee the EZine. I see a need for people to fill the following roles.

A) Editor - The boss, buck stops here, he co-ordinates the team and has the final say, he selects which articles are to be used and puts together the draft issue. Also responsible for proof reading (Proof reader may need to be a separate role).

B) Graphical Artist - We need someone who can not only contribute artwork but can create CGI's from the bank of pictures we have available (the whole is DeAynes is open for use). We need drawings, photos, cgi's and backgrounds. The artist is not only responsible for creating these things - but for gathering them from submitters. We cannot have a situation where one person is doing all the work :).

C) Newshound - Someone who is able to gather up all the gossip from round the internet and gaming community, and create a news column in Incoming! We don't just want (this month there has been x models released for EPIC) we need to know about events, competitions (and updates on the competitions, congratulations to the winners etc), then we can promote such events so they get a higher audience.

D) Fluff writer - Dotted around the issue, various 'sound bites' could be added to add to the atmosphere. For example, in an article detailing new rules for artillery a paragraph of fluff or two could be added. In a painting guide, the model could be incorporated into a short story - possibly split into two or three paragraphs, added throughout the article.

Then the team can work together to create the finished issue, and cover each other when they get sick, go on holiday or in the event of someone leaving the EZine so there is no downtime.

We have three options now:

1) Stick as purely EPIC, hope that with a team to gather articles we won't simply have another drought of articles.

2) Expand to all EPIC scale games, be currently support Heresy, Epic:A, Epic40k SM2/TL and AT/SM and NetEPIC. We could expand this to Warmaster, DBM, DBA, Dirtside, etc.

3) Expand to all games set in the 40k universe. Except BFG as that is already covered by Warp Rift.

One issue we don't want to have to suffer, is to lose readers because of diversifaction. For example - people not downloading the EZine because it contains 40k articles...

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/thenewtonwebb
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/thenewtonwebb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi all, I was writing a very pretty and morally disturbing if educational reply when I hit the wrong button on my near-character-free keyboard and scrapped the lot. In brief: I can try to write loads of articles now that my MSc in astro is over; I wouldn't go for editorial or similar roles, as my workload varies regularly, but I'll just to try to provide a load of articles for rainy days. Mostly on modelling stuff, especially conversions, terrain, easy banners, and the uses of pepper and cat litter in Epic modelling, with humorouf, edifying and filofoffical obfervationf, and I wish we had different fonts to do the 'f' thing properly, no not that, juft the hiftory claff humour of replacing (replafing?) an 'f' with an 'f', only not that fort of 'f'.
Ok, I'll cut the humour. :( ?un-:cool: