Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 31  Next

Grudd Thread

Post subject: Re: Grudd Thread
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice but how do they get the shell in?

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looks great! :) Really well executed design and it fits in well with the other vehicles. Perhaps you could design a cargo loader truck with a crane and a number of shells in the back? You could bundle it in a pack with the cannon or sell it separately. If they were sold separately I'd buy one per big cannon and model them together on a big base as a single unit in game terms. An alternative use could be one or a few of the loader/ammo vehicles on a base as a blitz objective, which the cannons might sit nearby.

I don't think I've bought anything from you yet but I'm tempted to pick up a large several thousand point Grudd army. The design of the large war engines will sway me either way I think, I like the size of the old WIP WE you showed ages ago (my Titans and WE are all bought or converted to be 'truescale' ones) and I wouldn't want smaller but I think you could improve the design/look. If I can offer some suggestions for whenever you get around to that again I reckon the front turret cannon could do with a redesign a bit more inspired from the source, as it currently looks like someone just plonked a guard tank turret on there and it looks out of place. I'm fine with icons on the side if fine well done but the design of the current faces on the side looks a bit comical (the one in the front looks much better) Do make the side turrets separate and posable too, I know you're less keen on separate pieces than other model producers for some reason but having all the guns fixed in place is a significant turn off for me.

Last edited by GlynG on Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

OH HELL YES!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

OH YES !!!! BIG GUNS !!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

[quote="GlynG"]Looks great! :) Really well executed design and it fits in well with the other vehicles. Perhaps you could design a cargo loader truck with a crane and a number of shells in the back? You could bundle it in a pack with the cannon or sell it separately. If they were sold separately I'd buy one per big cannon and model them together on a big base as a single unit in game terms. An alternative use could be one or a few of the loader/ammo vehicles on a base as a blitz objective, which the cannons might sit nearby.

I like this suggestion as it does make sense. My view of the Grud is that they reuse heavy mining equipment and convert it to warmachines.

This model's base looks like a large piece of mining equipment say it was a crane.

So the Grud being the miners they are took off the crane and dropped a big gun on it.

They should still have the cranes which instead of moving ore are now used to load the shells so reuse the same base but put a loader crane on it with an ammo stockpile. It would be nice to see a couple of shells on the model being loaded.
As a force without a standing army this would work well.

Could a small turret machine gun be added for close in protection?

Great Model so far
Attachment:
842f4d4180f990d6c034dd5d66f054ec126e2db4d8fdf4647bb6298527afa601_m.jpg
842f4d4180f990d6c034dd5d66f054ec126e2db4d8fdf4647bb6298527afa601_m.jpg [ 56.2 KiB | Viewed 3302 times ]

Last edited by SquatWarlord on Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

moredakka wrote:

It is a muzzleloader lol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ForgottenLore wrote:
I detest metal in 28mm figs, way too much of a pain to assemble, but in small scale it is really the only option for most things. Resin and plastic are just too fragile once pieces get as thin as some 6mm stuff has to be.

Spartan games (now Wayland) would disagree (and be correct). Their resin was bonkers good. Hell most companies are. FW is terribad which is unfortunately what most people here seem to know.

deacon wrote:
Hey guys - been working on something...Big. WIP shots of the Magni Mega Artillery Cannon. The Jord is shown on a 20x40mm base - the Magni is on a 40x60mm base.

The model will have separate stabilizer legs, and multiple lift pistons so you can model it in various stages of deployment.

Thoughts?

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

[quote="jimmyzimms"]
Spartan games (now Wayland) would disagree (and be correct). Their resin was bonkers good. Hell most companies are. FW is terribad which is unfortunately what most people here seem to know.
[quote/]

Hi!

While I agree that not all resin is created equal (nor are those whom produce it equal), I have lost far too many resin pieces to damage, even with resin far better than FW's.

I would never invest, nor buy anything 6mm, in anything other than metal.

Metal unto death! ;D

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Spartan 1/1200 scale resin was awesome. Nothing wrong with well-executed resin.

On topic: Get some neat warmachines (especially something train-like) on the roster, and I may reconsider getting a squat army :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

*mindblown*

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/bitsblitz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A good compromise could be making the main body of the largest few superheavies in 1-3 solid block(s) of resin and then having all the turrets and extra bits be metal? I’ve got some battle titan models that are made using this method. It avoids having to cast up loads of bits in resin and big bits are stronger and not going to warp.

Wandering a bit OT here but I’ve bought multiple units of tyranid models from Shapeways recently in their FUD material, which is even more fragile than resin and some of the details are incredibly tiny. I’m just going to have to try and be super careful with them (I’ve snapped one of the Tervigon’s legs off while asembling but it'll be easy enough to pin back). I'll choose extra detail at a cost of fragility, though I hope he sorts out casting his Gargoyles in resin or metal at some point.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nitpick wrote:
Great look!! Tiny thing- may be add some detail to the sides of the gun mount. They look a bit flat right now.

I thought it would be nice to leave a little space for decals / symbols / etc...

moredakka wrote:

Like this!

Those doors open up under the breach - and a motorized conveyor system loads new shells between shots. There's a crew compartment there so they can make sure everything operates properly inside the vehicle. I always try to make sure my designs could theoretically "work" in real life - though I'm far from being an engineer...

I like the idea of some sort of loading crew / ammo carrying support vehicles - I think I will release a weapon support pack to cover these sots of unit add-ons.

Resin *may be an option - and might be a requirement for the larger vehicles I have in mind - I'm still researching options.

I've got a few modifications - I'll post a preview shortly - but so far the initial reaction is positive so thats good!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice look again!. For me, the addition of a few bolts or some lines does not pose a problem. With a few drops of Microsol, decals can easily be coerced into place and cover such thinks smoothly. I actually think placing decals on top of small features like that looks even better and adds to a sense of weight and realism. But it is a minute subjective detail - this looks very good.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

oh, just had a thought, the track sections look slightly similar to your previous tank designs. Maybe you could just move the headlight (or whatever that is) to the outer sides instead, or something. But then again, having the same type of design feel might have its advantages I suppose.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
Spartan games (now Wayland) would disagree (and be correct). Their resin was bonkers good.

I bought a LOT of Spartan Games resin, and at least a third of the pieces I ordered needed replacements because of damage due to shipping or production.

Resin is the worst material to work in, the most hazardous (according to the state of California, if you believe that sort of thing) and the least resistant to any damage from being knocked or bumped or transported. Those are incontrovertible facts and you full well know it Mr. Jimmy-san.

Metal models in this scale are basically a requirement to me. Resin can go bake itself somewhere far, far away.

Back to the subject of models: That's a very pretty big gun. I think the industrial aesthetic suits that model so well. I don't think I buy into the crane idea floated about here, after all we don't model a realistic amount of supply and logistics equipment on all the infantry and tanks in every other army. But if it's an individual model it can't hurt me any!

Keep up the fantastic models!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 31  Next