Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Alternating Activation System (Bissler-geddon!)

Post subject: Re: Alternating Activation System (Bissler-geddon!)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Incidentally, shouldn't the Phantoms be 700 each? Or do they not have wing weapons?

Hull: 300
Pulsar: 300 (150 x 2)
Lascannon Wing: (75)
Missile Launcher Wing (25)

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
Apologies, meant to comment on your army lists: look interesting! Since I don't have any, I'm looking forward to seeing how aerial units affect gameplay.

Something that just occurred to me that is a problem with the +1 to hit roll & +1 to hit units on FF: Are the rolls cumulative?

ie FF unit fires on unit on FF: +1 for being on FF, +1 to hit FF unit, ie +2 to hit.

Also, what if orders haven't been revealed? That would mean having to flip the order counter.

Sorry for causing trouble just when it seemed like we'd gotten there!

Hi!

No they are not cumulative. Once a formation fires on first fire orders it all enemy units gains the +1 for the rest of the turn.

If the unit has not activated (not fired yet), units firing at it gain no bonus, since the unit has not "exposed itself" by firing.

Actually this will bring a very interesting amount of tactics into the equation. It is usually advantageous to shoot at the enemy before it is activated, but in this case it is better after it fires to get the bonus, BUT you might not survive its fire to capitalize on it!

I love this kind of decision making! It adds many layers of tactics into whether to fire at which unit and when.

I'm already excited at the possibilities. ;D

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

primarch wrote:
Hi!

No they are not cumulative. Once a formation fires on first fire orders it all enemy units gains the +1 for the rest of the turn.

If the unit has not activated (not fired yet), units firing at it gain no bonus, since the unit has not "exposed itself" by firing.

Actually this will bring a very interesting amount of tactics into the equation. It is usually advantageous to shoot at the enemy before it is activated, but in this case it is better after it fires to get the bonus, BUT you might not survive its fire to capitalize on it!

I love this kind of decision making! It adds many layers of tactics into whether to fire at which unit and when.

Primarch

I hadn't thought of it like that! I'm also excited at how this will play out - but fuming that my next game isn't for another good few weeks! >:(

I'll get through the lean times by enjoying your impending battle report! 8)

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
primarch wrote:
Hi!

Primarch

I hadn't thought of it like that! I'm also excited at how this will play out - but fuming that my next game isn't for another good few weeks! >:(

I'll get through the lean times by enjoying your impending battle report! 8)

Hi!

I'm glad we persisted and found an elegant and simple way to do it! ;D

My test game will also include the flanking and deployment rules I proposed. I wish to see if the Eldar advantage in this regard is advantageous, overpowering or non-contributory and tweak the flank value accordingly.

Also, two phantoms versus one warlord. 1200 points versus 900. The eldar have the edge, but it should not be as easy as in the standard rules (especially with no reactor in the front!). We we also see how good is a plasma weapon!

Lastly, I want to see the interplay of the flyer rules. I have enough experience with all the previous alternate ones to know what works (or not) with the standard rules, but I want to see the affect of combined activations on AA fire and fliers. It will be interesting.

I'll probably start posting pictures during the week of the forces to be used and the layout of the table. Then the actual game. Who knows depending on time and mood I may start the game during an afternoon after work. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A rule that I had forgotten to include. This arose as a result of playtesting where Falcons had been carrying Striking Scorpions.

Double Activations: You may not perform two activations in a row except when transports are involved in either picking up or dropping off infantry. Note that for some forces (notably Marines) this is unlikely to be an issue as the tranports are usually attached to the infantry within, but in the case where transports have been bought seperate from the infantry that this rule applies. This is to prevent the circumstance of moving your transports and them then being "jumped" before the infantry has a chance to deploy.

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
A rule that I had forgotten to include. This arose as a result of playtesting where Falcons had been carrying Striking Scorpions.

Double Activations: You may not perform two activations in a row except when transports are involved in either picking up or dropping off infantry. Note that for some forces (notably Marines) this is unlikely to be an issue as the tranports are usually attached to the infantry within, but in the case where transports have been bought seperate from the infantry that this rule applies. This is to prevent the circumstance of moving your transports and them then being "jumped" before the infantry has a chance to deploy.

Hi!

I think that it should be penalized. Since integrated transports is superior to those added on as support. Granting a double activation leads to scenarios of abuse (I know you don't use fliers, but I can envision several scenarios with flier transports that would be over powered).

Think of it this way. How would you feel if I sprang a hellbore with a full company of tactical IG (30 stands + command) on the first turn in your back lines and got to activate ALL OF THEM at one go. I think you can see why it has to be separate activations to make it fair.

I think if you add transports for flexibility you should pay the price and run that risk. Besides you still have "bail out" rolls when that happens, so its not like its an "insta-kill" when the transport goes.

You either do it this way or modify the way transports are added (like orcs where they extra units are added to the main one increasing break points, VP, etc) to make them one formation, but since you wanted something simple and not have to revamp the formations lists, then they are left being two separate formations and should have two separate activations.

I am going to playtest it in that vein, as separate activations. The list I am going to use include "add-on" transports for the heavy support. So we'll see how it goes.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
Incidentally, shouldn't the Phantoms be 700 each? Or do they not have wing weapons?

Hull: 300
Pulsar: 300 (150 x 2)
Lascannon Wing: (75)
Missile Launcher Wing (25)

Hi!

Doh! I knew I missed something. I also thought the wings were "standard" and included in the hull. It was decided in the past that the wing weapons should be one of each (no double lascannon wings which is what everybody does). So the hull should be 400, wings included.

But yeah, it should be 700 each. Now I need to shave 200 points worth of stuff...... :(

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

primarch wrote:
I think that it should be penalized. Since integrated transports is superior to those added on as support. Granting a double activation leads to scenarios of abuse (I know you don't use fliers, but I can envision several scenarios with flier transports that would be over powered).

Think of it this way. How would you feel if I sprang a hellbore with a full company of tactical IG (30 stands + command) on the first turn in your back lines and got to activate ALL OF THEM at one go. I think you can see why it has to be separate activations to make it fair.

I think if you add transports for flexibility you should pay the price and run that risk. Besides you still have "bail out" rolls when that happens, so its not like its an "insta-kill" when the transport goes.

You either do it this way or modify the way transports are added (like orcs where they extra units are added to the main one increasing break points, VP, etc) to make them one formation, but since you wanted something simple and not have to revamp the formations lists, then they are left being two separate formations and should have two separate activations.

I am going to playtest it in that vein, as separate activations. The list I am going to use include "add-on" transports for the heavy support. So we'll see how it goes.

You're a hard man! Yes, on reflection then this makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Glad to be of help / a thorn in the side with regard to the Phantom costings! :)

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
primarch wrote:

You're a hard man! Yes, on reflection then this makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Glad to be of help / a thorn in the side with regard to the Phantom costings! :)

Hi!

No worries, I saw a lot of mistakes in my eldar list. My final lists look like this:

IG 6000 points

Gorgon assault 600
Tactical Company 600
Hydra squadron 300
Heavy Platoon + Chimeras 275
Heavy platoon + chimeras variant 325
Rough rider company 600
Artillery Company 600
Leman Russ Company 550
Shadow Sword Company 650
thunderbolts 250
marauders 350
Warlord titan 900 (plasma cannon, volcano cannon, macrocannon, gatling cannon)

Eldar

Eldar 6000 points total

Defender Warhost 850
warlock 125
Swooping hawks (2) 300
Dark Reapers 250
Dire Avengers 125
Jetbike Host 550
Howling Banshees + Wave Serpents 300
Striking Scorpions + wave Serpents 300
Firestorm AA 150
Tempest Host 1000
Phoenix fighter bomber 300
Nightwing 300
Vampire Troop Carrier 100
Doom weavers 150
Phantom 700 (Double Pulsar)
Phantom 600 (Pulsar + Heat lance)

These use the latest agreed upon costs values (1000 for tempest host, lower costs for chimeras, etc).

I am now setting up the board for the playtest. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good stuff! Interesting that you took the Heat Lance. That's a weapon that should be so much more powerful now that you can Charge and "Focus Fire" your Titan. ;)

Look forward to hearing how it all goes! :)

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
Good stuff! Interesting that you took the Heat Lance. That's a weapon that should be so much more powerful now that you can Charge and "Focus Fire" your Titan. ;)

Look forward to hearing how it all goes! :)

Hi!

Combined activations change tactics quite a bit now. Certain weapons become very attractive. I remembered what you said about titans being harder to destroy (especially with no frontal reactor), so stripping shields is only part of the plan. You need something for the knockout blow. That's why I brought a heat lance.

Also remember that eldar titans must constantly move in order for the holofields to work. To stop moving is to DIE! So I envision them as racing around shooting things.

Of course the warlord (armed as it is) looks very intimidating. Especially that plasma weapon......

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice to know you were paying close attention to my observations! I'm hoping for a result of the Warlord takes out one Phantom and then the Heat Lance finishes off the Warlock. We'll see...

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
Nice to know you were paying close attention to my observations! I'm hoping for a result of the Warlord takes out one Phantom and then the Heat Lance finishes off the Warlock. We'll see...

Hi!

Stop reading my mind! :P

I intend to use the phantom with the double pulsars to harass the warlord and use the one with the heat lance to kill it.

Since the phantoms have the edge in maneuverability I envision them firing and hiding when they can. After all one shot that gets past the holofield may be... painful...

Also, I'll see if the Eldar attempt a flank maneuver. If they are lucky they may get enough to bring a titan or a large formation from the side (or rear if available).

I have yet to decide on a terrain layout. Probably some sort of "city" in the middle with hills and such on the sides. Dense enough to not make long range firing too dominant.

I am looking forward to the move and shoot (especially artillery). I think it will be important to relocate after firing.

Everything is pulled out and ready to go. Only the terrain needs to be laid out. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGHUE2kpZRU :D

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGHUE2kpZRU :D

Hi!

LOL!

Preparing for battle!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next