Login |  Register |  FAQ

Netepic Background?

Post subject: Netepic Background?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 10:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Back to your universe.

The Eldar make wide use of the webway.  And it is supposed that the Dark Eldar have a city within it.  Is this the case for you?

Also the black library is supposed to within the webway, along with the Harlequin troops and great harlequin himself.  These supposedly know more of the secrets than the rest of the Eldar race, and the Great Harlequin is said to know all the secrets.  How about in your universe?

What role do Squats hold in your universe? (i'm assuming you kept them)

Are they still mutated versions of humans (I believe it was the effect of gravity stunting their growth)?

Do they actively work with the imperium, or are they there own masters?  How do they interact with other races?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just read the Netepic timeline.  Phew! :)

Not too different really.  I do have a couple of questions (as usual)

Where is the fluff for Hive fleet perseus from (drofts back out into the void)?

How about the blackstone fortresses, they aren't mentioned.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 5:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Back to your universe.

The Eldar make wide use of the webway.  And it is supposed that the Dark Eldar have a city within it.  Is this the case for you?

>>The dark eldar don't exsist in netepic. The main problem being lack of suitable miniatures and a good story to add to our our fluff. Army lists have been made (several versions actually), but noone seems real keen on them.

Also the black library is supposed to within the webway, along with the Harlequin troops and great harlequin himself.  These supposedly know more of the secrets than the rest of the Eldar race, and the Great Harlequin is said to know all the secrets.  How about in your universe?

>>We tend to de-emphasize all the GW fluff about gods doing this or that and focus more on the actions of mortals. While the black library and harlequinns exsists we really dont go into it at that level.

What role do Squats hold in your universe? (i'm assuming you kept them)

>>We most certainly did and have added many more units to them. The are an autonomous state within the Imperium. Such autonomy is retain due to the fact that the squats are the only race that still CREATES technology, not only maintain it (although they are better at than this than any other). They trade such secrets with the Imperium for food and military aid against the orks. The squats have developed railgun technology and a stable warp core engine which obviates the need for a navigator. Needless to say the adeptus mechanicus is VERY interested in these developments.

Are they still mutated versions of humans (I believe it was the effect of gravity stunting their growth)?

>>There's been no true discussion on this, although the inclination is to make them a "related" race of man, but not a mutation, more like parallel evolution.

Do they actively work with the imperium, or are they there own masters?  How do they interact with other races?

>>Their own masters, they own technology which may be vital for the Imperium, so while the Imperium may crush them at any moment, they do not do so for fear of losing thiese secrets. It is also rumored the squats are close to creating STC's!

>>They do interact with other races, but its mostly hostile, they hate orks, they despise the eldar, destroy chaos and tyanids on sight. The only other race which they seem to get along with are the slann, due to their even greater tachnology.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 6:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

>>We most certainly did and have added many more units to them. The are an autonomous state within the Imperium. Such autonomy is retain due to the fact that the squats are the only race that still CREATES technology, not only maintain it (although they are better at than this than any other). They trade such secrets with the Imperium for food and military aid against the orks. The squats have developed railgun technology and a stable warp core engine which obviates the need for a navigator. Needless to say the adeptus mechanicus is VERY interested in these developments.

- NetEpic Fluff.

-----------------------------------------------

Shabbat Shalom all,

I enjoy the fluff like all of us and find it particularlt annoying that GW contradicts itself so often (I understand about human error, but sometimes it seems intentional!).

>>> Needless to say the Adeptus Mechanicus is VERY >>> >>> interested in these developments (non-beacon warp >>> >>> travel). >>>

I would think that anything that kept the human masses from being dependent on the vampiric Emperor would be heresyand a target of the Inquisition. Maybe that's the real reason that the Squats were killed? (Stupid fluff and corporate decision!)

The Emperor acts as the beacon for warp travel navigators so anything that makes dependence on him less so would be pounced on by the Eclesiarchy (and all the other nutty folks) as heresy.

I've never been real keen on the whole religious aspect of the 40k universe. The idea that humanity would so totally abandon ethics and morality that they could worship a vampiric Emperor is totally beyond me. I understand that it's fiction and at that a dark gothic fiction, but it still seems really funky to me. I can't see humanity become so inhumane (Yes, I know I'm naive, and optimistic.).

Gut Shabbos,
Maksim-Smelchak.

P.S.
For the guys talking about wanting to play Slan in WHFB, I used to want to play the Pygmies (Still do actually!)! I liked those little headshrinkers!

P.S.S.
Where's the fluff about the C'tan Dragon on the Mars Forgeworld?

I'd like to read it.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 6:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

>>> The Squats have developed railgun technology and a >>> stable warp core engine which obviates the need for a >>> navigator. >>>

- NetEpic Fluff.

-----------------------------------

Peter (Primarch),

If the Squats have developed railgun (Gaus AKA massdrivers) weapon technology, how does that relate to the Tau?

Did they develop railguns independent of each other or is there a relationship between the two?

While I'm a NetEpic fan, I don't know the fluff very well and have only played two or three times (I do however remember the old Bourbon Street address).

This seemed to be an interesting line of questioning to me.

That reminds me, does anyone know what kind of warp travel technology the Tau have?

Gut Shabbos,
Maksim.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 6:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Test Post. Please ignore.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Peter (Primarch),

If the Squats have developed railgun (Gaus AKA massdrivers) weapon technology, how does that relate to the Tau?

>>Since we haven't added the Tau yet, I'm not sure how they fit in the scheme of things, but I'd say its a case of parallel development, same idea, different ways to get to it.

Did they develop railguns independent of each other or is there a relationship between the two?

While I'm a NetEpic fan, I don't know the fluff very well and have only played two or three times (I do however remember the old Bourbon Street address).

This seemed to be an interesting line of questioning to me.

That reminds me, does anyone know what kind of warp travel technology the Tau have?

>>I'm really tempted to have the Tau be totally warp insensitve and actually have invented a "hyperdrive" or some alternate non-warp way to get around.

We'll see.

Peter

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just a thought... ?I think a great match up would be the Tau vs. the Eldar. Hi-tech vs. Hi-tech. ?The Vulcans vs. the Romulans sort of thing without the blood lines. ?I give the Tau a 60 % chance of kicking the Eldar back to their craftworld ?:D ! ?If anyone tries this "grudge match" let us know ... :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (primarch @ 22 2003 Feb.,16:49)
P.S.S.
Where's the fluff about the C'tan Dragon on the Mars Forgeworld?

I'd like to read it.

I believe its all in the Necron codex.  Its informatioon I've peiced together.  I haven't read the necron codex yet to confirm it, but it is pretty accurate.

The story of the Necronc landing on Mars was in the WD.  There was also a bit of fiction about an inquisitor and some mechanicus adeptus guy talking.  The adept guy kept on asking questions upon the nature of the Ctan, and various other things.  At the end of the conversation the Adept guy asks the Inquisitor if he knows the location of the Dragon.  When he says no, the A dedpt goes quiet (sort of a 'phew, he doesn't know everything')

Apparantly, the Dragon has been asleep on Mars for millennia, its his tomb world.  When humans landed they explored and found this tomb.  They back developed some of the technology they could to create some of the things they have now.  There is a part of the complex that only the highest order are alloed/KNow about.  This is where the dragon lies sleeping.  They worship him as the Machine God, as thats what they think he is (emmnissery is it?)  Anyhow, the inquisition (and lower adepts) believe they are worshipping a side of the Emporer.

There were many threads on Portent about this.

Back to Netepic

The time line is pretty good. (apart from the creation of the Chaos gods seems a bit off).  As a side note, I believe GW have made the Eldar an even older race compared to what they used to be.

Is there any parts of the time line you've made up/inserted to support things that have happened in your universe?  Also, why is there not much mention of the Slann?  Are they hardly ever warring at the moment?

Are they only just coming back to the galaxy?

Where are they entering the galaxy?  The warpgates I suppose.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

The slann are new to this galaxy in the sense that their interaction with most of the races is new (excpet the eldar which they have had contact with before), they have been in our galaxy millions of years before when the warpgates were made.

Most warpgates are located in the eastern fringe of the galaxy, but there ARE active gates in the eye of terror, ehich used to be the eldar home worlds.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Seems like I have been missing a lot!

The timeline is great, I do like fluff which brings a little depth to the game. Like others here I find it annoying that things can and do contradict themselves and unfortunately this is a mistake that so far hasnt been addressed by GW. Strange considering that they have access to everything they wrote and invented :L  
Seems like I need a codex necrons book.

Peter:

Those are great explanations of the epic games in their various forms.  I have all versions but havent had the time to test all but you certainly have helped me understand a little in the various differences. Thanks a lot :;):

Doug

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

My pleasure Doug. Its a pretty common question, so I will hold on to that post, since it may come up again.

Try all the games out, its the only true way to find out whats best for you.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 8:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

thanks, I will do that.

At the moment being on the netepic list, I see much going on regarding the new rules and some I can relate to but it seems I have a lot to catch up on and not just buying the figs :D

Doug

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Is there any reason why you've decided that most warpgates are in the eastern fringe?  Is this the direction of their home galaxy?  Or the galaxy the rest went to?

Or is it to fit in with the reason why the Tyranids are attacking in that sector? I.e. They are trying to gain access to them/destroy them.

With the Tau in that sector, does that mean there is some contact between the two upcoming?

The Ethereals, in GW fluff, are a bit mysterious.  Came from nowhere, and exhibit unusual abilities.  Did the Slann have a helping hand  here?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Is there any reason why you've decided that most warpgates are in the eastern fringe?  Is this the direction of their home galaxy?  Or the galaxy the rest went to?

>>The eastern fringe is outside the range of the astronnomicon and therefore outside the Imperium's grasp. Gates inside the Imperium would have been found and destroyed long ago, so the only "safe" jump points are on the eastern fringe. Also the fringe is close to the galaxies the slann hail from.

Or is it to fit in with the reason why the Tyranids are attacking in that sector? I.e. They are trying to gain access to them/destroy them.

>>This is another reason. There visiting this galaxy has more to do with destroying tyranids than contact other races.

With the Tau in that sector, does that mean there is some contact between the two upcoming?

>>We haven't added the Tau and I wasn't aware that thats where GW places them too. I guess if we place them there, some interaction would/should ensue. We'll see.

The Ethereals, in GW fluff, are a bit mysterious.  Came from nowhere, and exhibit unusual abilities.  Did the Slann have a helping hand  here?

>>No talks have started on Tau fluff, I have some ideas, but they may be drastically different fom GW's fluff. Since they are a "tech" I envisioned a link to the squats, since they seem to be interested in the same stuff. Who knows what direction we'll go for now.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules