Login |  Register |  FAQ

Rules question Squat Praetorian and introduction of myself

Post subject: Rules question Squat Praetorian and introduction of myself
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi all,

first post here so I thought I'd make a very short introduction :)
I'm a "middle-aged" guy living in Sweden, and I was introduced to the Epic 2nd ed. game way back in the beginning of the 90s by a friend. I had previously only played classic D&D role playing games. I fell immediately in love with the Epic game and we played quite frequently huge games with four players.
I always played Squats and three other friends played Eldar, Chaos and Orks. This was at a time when we could spend one whole weekend playing :) Beginning on a friday afternoon and wrapping things up on sunday.
Obviously nothing lasts forever and somewhere in the mid 90s everyone went to different places to study. We always in the years to come said, "oh wouldn't it be fun to play some Epic again..." but of course that never happened until somewhere last year when me and tried a game for nostalgic reason, and after that game we were addicted again :)
Suddenly I found myself browsing around for more Squat models, doing some painting and watching/reading old battle reports.

A couple of weeks ago we played another game and hopefully we can continue to play at least somewhat regularly when allowed by wives, girlfriends kids etc. :D

We have decided to use the Netepic Gold rules since they seem to be very similar the old 2nd ed rules with some improvements.

Anyway, as always, after everygame, you encounter situations that you can't find rules for. I will probably post more rules questions in here, so I hope this post is made in the correct part of the forum.

So, I had a first question regarding the Praetorians and it's "damage to the bridge table". It's first of all the "bridge destroyed, crew abandon vehicle" damage that I wonder how you interpret? Is it basically the same as the Praetorian being useless/destroyed? I mean without a crew I guess you can't do anything, not move not fire? It's just something standing there in the field as sort of an object?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Rules question Squat Praetorian and introduction of myse
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Fangface,

Welcome back to the game! Thanks also for sharing your story, it certainly chimes with my own where I feel away from Epic in the mid 90's, albeit I made my return a little sooner! I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with Net Epic as, like you, I feel it improved a number of things for 2nd Edition.

In answer to your question, yes, you should consider that Bridge Destroyed result as equivalent to the vehicle being completely destroyed and award your opponent the VPs.

Please keep us posted about your new adventures in Net Epic!

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Welcome to the board Fangface! :)

I will echo The Bissler's comment and say your story sounds very familiar.
It's great that you have kept in touch with your friends and close enough to be able to still wargame.

Please make some posts about your progress and route back into the game, for what it is worth I think with NetEpic Gold you have picked the best (certainly most fun!) version.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the welcome :)

I will absolutely try and make some posts on how we are progressing. Probably there will be a lot of rules questions from me :D I had forgotten how often that happened way back when we were playing, that situation where you and your opponent try to figure out "what rule covers this :O"

We managed to play one game last year in september and the plan was to try and get a game going at least every 3-4 month. But then Corona got worse and these days with kids, job, family, friends, its just a bit harder finding the time. With that said I would have NO problem setting up one of those old school massive, whole weekend games :)
One week ago we played our second game and it went a bit smoother and easier.

The time between our games I have gone through all the old White Dwarf battle reports, almost brought tears of joy to my eyes :) One thing I remembered and that I thought was a bit weird back then and it's still weird today, was how those games usually were played.
The game plan was usually to just grab as many objectives as humanly possible and then try to kill enough enemies to try and win the game in the first round or worst case second round. I never understood that. I want to play MORE rounds, because I think that makes the game more fun and interesting. With at least 4-5 rounds you can have a more long term plan on how you want your squads/detachments/companies to move.
It doesn't necessarily mean the games needs to take more time, but I still want to get at least five rounds of playing.
So when playing now, we are really trying to figure out how to be more effective when playing. So you can get as many rounds of playing as possible in one day (I'd say we play 9-10 hours effective time).

Ok, that quickly turned into a lot of nonsense talk from me :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As was stated above, yes, 'Bridge Destroyed' does mean that the Praetorian in question now becomes unable to move or fire, and awards VP to the foe. However, it is not entirely useless, as it would still physically exist on the battlefield and as such could provide cover for other models to hide behind.