Login |  Register |  FAQ

Ha I wrote some of that Intro in Net Epic.

Post subject: Ha I wrote some of that Intro in Net Epic.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I just read the introduction to the NetEpic rulebook and a big chunk of that I swear comes from something I wrote back on my old website system17, which I shut down ages ago. I was going to say I dont know how it got into that rulebook, but now that I think about it, I do think I was asked and said yeah I dont care. lol anyway, I dont really have much from my old gaming websites, so while reading it it was like, hey I have seen that before, which led to some nostalgia. Totally my writing style tho its funny to see in print.

Which I am curious... I got letters from GW asking me to take down their images, and they hit BoardGameGeek pretty hard too. I mean BGG took down every reference file someone posted. Pissed a lot of people off. So I noticed that the art in the rulebook isnt GW's, but all of the units and so forth are. So has GW ever hit the NetEpic with cease and desist orders? Hell I heard they even asked Amazon to remove a book called Space Marine that had nothing to do with GW, but apparently they trademarked the name, and after some decision making, Amazon reposted the book. It just showed how assholeish GW can be about what they think is their trademark, so I am surprised they dont come after NetEpic....

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Ha I wrote some of that Intro in Net Epic.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

KTG17 wrote:
I just read the introduction to the NetEpic rulebook and a big chunk of that I swear comes from something I wrote back on my old website system17, which I shut down ages ago. I was going to say I dont know how it got into that rulebook, but now that I think about it, I do think I was asked and said yeah I dont care. lol anyway, I dont really have much from my old gaming websites, so while reading it it was like, hey I have seen that before, which led to some nostalgia. Totally my writing style tho its funny to see in print.

Which I am curious... I got letters from GW asking me to take down their images, and they hit BoardGameGeek pretty hard too. I mean BGG took down every reference file someone posted. Pissed a lot of people off. So I noticed that the art in the rulebook isnt GW's, but all of the units and so forth are. So has GW ever hit the NetEpic with cease and desist orders? Hell I heard they even asked Amazon to remove a book called Space Marine that had nothing to do with GW, but apparently they trademarked the name, and after some decision making, Amazon reposted the book. It just showed how assholeish GW can be about what they think is their trademark, so I am surprised they dont come after NetEpic....

Hi!

Its a frequent question throughout the years. :)

Net Epic has been EXTENSIVELY looked at by GW over the last 17 years. Heck even Jervis said as much to me once. He was even on the net epic mailing list.

The reason we have never been bothered by them are:

1. Net Epic was originally written from the ground up. In other words we did not scan the original second edition books or do a "copy and paste" job. I actually sat down and explained the system in my own words. That's very important. you can not copyright game mechanics, just the particular manifestation on how they are presented. Since I did not copy their presentation, there is no issue.

2. We use our own ORIGINAL images. One of the most frequent things that gets GW's attention is using their imagery (pictures, photos, illustrations, etc). That's a big "no-no" to them. Therefore all our pictures and illustrations since the beginning are originally made by net epic contributors. GW has never had any problems from us.

That's all really. It may sound simple, but it really is. Most get into issues with GW because they are being lazy and use GW stuff without permission. If people just sat down and wrote their own prose and made their own illustrations/photos, GW can't really say much. But if you copy/paste or use their photos/illustrations, then you are at their mercy. A little bit of effort goes a long way to keeping them off your back.

By the way KTG17, who are you? I'm Peter, also known as "primarch". I have coordinated the net epic project for close to 17 years now. :)

It would have been me that did any asking to use stuff. I vaguely remember doing that (I've done a LOT of asking over the last 17 years for things to include in net epic). I just like to see "old hands" check in and I still remember most of the people whom contributed (if they jog my memory with a name ;) ).

Thanks for dropping by and posting, its always cool to see people from the old glory days. ;D

Primarch

Profile Send private message