Login |  Register |  FAQ

Imperial Guard Company HQ / Section HQ question

Post subject: Imperial Guard Company HQ / Section HQ question
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hello all!

I've played Epic all the way back to the days of Adeptus Titanicus and want to first express my delight to have discovered this wonderful resource for Epic fans old and new!

Anyway, I have recently invested in an Imperial Guard army and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on some problems I have with the chain of command rule?

i) If a Section HQ is destroyed the detachment is considered to be outside the chain of command and therefore cannot receive orders. Is there a way to re-establish the chain of command? Can the Company HQ move to within 6cm to re-establish control? Or is it the case that only Commissars can take control of detachments?

ii) The rules clearly state that Section HQs & Company HQs cannot be targeted. However, what about super-heavy companies such as Shadowswords & Baneblades? All vehicles are Section HQs with the exception of the Company HQ. Given the threat these vehicles pose to enemy forces, it would seem completely unreasonable that these vehicles cannot be targeted due to the HQ rules. Can they be targeted?

iii) If they can be targeted, and an enemy force wants to split fire evenly across the company, what happens in the event that the Company HQ is destroyed and other vehicles survive? Again, can the Commissar - or any other HQ unit for that matter - take control of the company?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out here!

Cheers!

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Imperial Guard Company HQ / Section HQ question
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've been giving this some thought & this seems the most sensible solution to the Super-Heavy chain of command problem;

Despite the fact that they are Section HQs, the super-heavy tanks (Shadowswords, Baneblades, etc) which are not Company HQ units can be targeted like any other vehicle. If of course, the company HQ is the closest unit to the enemy, then it can be targeted by that enemy unit as normal.

If the two other super-heavy tanks in the company are destroyed, the opposing player can then target the Company HQ even if it is not the closest unit.

This is the fairest solution (to the problem I outlined in the above post) that I could think of. If you were only allowed to target the Company HQ if it were the closest target, this would effectively mean opposing forces turning a blind eye to these dangerous tanks, something that doesn't really make a lot of sense. If I was in a Titan at the opposite side of the board, my first priority would be to wipe out those Volcano Cannon-wielding Shadowswords. It would seem crazy if I could only destroy two of the three of these vehicles which have the power to decimate my Titan...

Does anyone agree?

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I play it the same way

You can target a HQ if its the closest unit OF ITS TYPE
So you can target a SH HQ if its the closest SH unit even if some of the other tanks are still alive

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ulric wrote:
I play it the same way

You can target a HQ if its the closest unit OF ITS TYPE
So you can target a SH HQ if its the closest SH unit even if some of the other tanks are still alive

Isn't it the way it's supposed to be played according to the rules ?

@The Bissler: for your question:
Quote:
i) If a Section HQ is destroyed the detachment is considered to be outside the chain of command and therefore cannot receive orders. Is there a way to re-establish the chain of command? Can the Company HQ move to within 6cm to re-establish control? Or is it the case that only Commissars can take control of detachments?

Yes, a CHQ/Commissar can re-establish control of a detachment that lost its SQH by being in unit coherency with it (within 6cm). This is explained at the beginning of the Adeptus Militaris codex in the section called "How the Chain of Command Works".

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Excellent! Thank you both for clearing this up for me - I read and reread the rules I had for Imperial Guard but this never seemed to be properly explained (though maybe I was just being stupid). The Adeptus Militaris isn't something I was familiar with but will look that up!

Cheers!

Net Epic Evolution Rules