Login |  Register |  FAQ

Miniature advice - Skylok

Post subject: Miniature advice - Skylok
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi All,

After a long delay looking for parts, I'm finally in the process of building my slightly altered version of Skylok. One question on posing though. I had planned to have the model in a fairly normal standing pose, but one option is to have it "swooping down" with legs outstretched before it. Kind of like this:

This would actually be easier for me to mount on a base, but the feet dont really look the part to me. Opinions?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Miniature advice - Skylok
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mounting on a base is not only easier but perhaps more durable over the long term, especially if used regularly in gaming. That said, I really like the pose shown in your photo with legs outstretched swooping down on his prey! Very cool and very natural given flight characteristics (titans have flight characteristics?). So I ask will this be a display piece or one that will see heavy use?
My vote says Swooping, definately! Go for it!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:43 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I've often thought that a more mechanical look for Skylok's avian parts would be better than the original conversion ideas presented in CJ.

One possibility would be the legs from a 40K Tau battlesuit. They have a skinny lower limb and high ankle joint, avian style. You could dd some stylistically appropriate talons and mods to the armor plating. The suits range in size, so you'd just need to find the suit that is the correct scale for the titan. If I'm not mistake, the newer models are made to be posable, so a dynamic swoop should be possible.

For an avian-looking tail, the back half of a Firelord works well. I did a conversion where I cut the Firelord body in half, using the head and tail on a Warlord titan. It turned out great. There's even a little bubble turret on the tail like a point defense system.

I also converted a Banelord titan to Tzeentch using that Tzeentch head and an old style space marine backpack. The lower half of the backpack has over-lapping plates that look like a mechanical version of feathers. I replaced the Bloodletter head with the Tzeentch head by removing the lower jaw. I cut the lower half of the backpack off and used it to cover the carapace tab with the imperial eagle (since the Tzeentch head obviously didn't cover it like the original Banelord head), so it looks like a ruff of mechanical feathers. I tied the backpack piece into the head with a little greenstuff.

You could do something very similar with the pose you're going for, but you'd probably have to remove the imperial eagle piece completely and shape the backpack so it could butt up against the rest of the carapace.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It will be gamed with, but probably not frequently.

I actually have the tail feathers from the same early 40K LoC that donated the legs that I'd planned to use as a "tail". I will try the backpack idea for the head though, thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have considered using the micro arts mechanical wings - they could fit the bill nicely, I'll post pics if I ever get around to it.

Wings 1
http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/mechanical-wings-p-182.html

Wings 2
http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/mechanical-wings-p-183.html

Maybe 2 pairs of wings would look cool as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Is there any way to make it look like it is clutching a Rhino transport or a fist full of Space Marines, etc... in those closed claws? Because that would look pretty damn cool and give any poor sap facing this Greater Daemon Titan an idea what's about to happen to his army.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I really like the look and pose of it myself. I recommend painting the claws a metallic colour like gold so they look semi-mechanical rather than organic.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ohh, I like the rhino clutching idea....I'll see what I can come up with.