Login |  Register |  FAQ

NetEpic Virgin

Post subject: NetEpic Virgin
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Very happy to hear it Adam77, and welcome aboard sir. Remember to post up some pics of your stuff, there's always a keen interest in players armies here. If you have any questions I'm sure we can help or if you have any ideas I know we're always interested and will give our opinions freely.  :cool:

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:58 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Interestingly does anyone know how many of us play which (out of EA and NE) systems on taccomms? It would be cool to see who plays what and where...a discussion for another thread or poll methinks?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm puzzled where this has blown up from as you seem to reading much different and worse intent into what I initially wrote than was meant. I meant no disrespect and I'm certainly not dissing your game! - I have never played Net-Epic nor read the rules, so I wouldn't feel qualified to comment on it! :(

Adam played Space Marine in the past and mentioned considering both Net-Epic and Epic Armageddon, so why is me offering my personal perspective towards EpicA considered negatively and to be 'poaching' when you guys are offering similar preferences and encouragement towards playing Net-Epic?

We all normally get on really well and disagreements are incredibly rare on these forums and particularly don't look good infront of a newcomer. I believe my initial post was a perfectly reasonable response to a thread by a new returner to epic asking for advice as to which system to play. I feel what I wrote was innocuous and informative and am surprised and saddened that it has caused antagonism. The only reason I have continued to post in the topic is because if, as I suspect, this may have arisen from miss-communication/miss-interpretation then I would prefer to address that, rather than leave you guys thinking the worse of me or leave Adam with the impression we are disagreeable types here.

Going back to my initial post which seems to have caused the controversy:
Quote: 

GlynG: I'd give the difference rulesets a whirl and see what you prefer if I were you. I used to love playing SM back in my youth but I vastly prefer the Epic Armageddon ruleset now (the full rules can be downloaded for free for it from the GW website); it's a fantastic game, more tactically complex than special rules complex, and it's what the majority of people play these days.

Hope you have fun getting back into epic! :smile:

I'm not sure what exactly in that is considered objectionable so to go over my meaning in more detail:  

I enjoyed playing Space Marine / Titan Legions extensively aged 10-15 or so and then in more recent years have got very into Epic Armageddon, that's my gaming background. My comparison was between the games I had played - SM/TL and EpicA and the brief broad-brush overview I offered was that the latter is more tactically complex and the former more special rules complex. I'm pretty certain we'd all agree that the masses of special rules from SM/TL are no longer present in the modern incarnation of the game, though we obviously vary in our opinion over whether such masses of special rules are a good thing or not and that's fine.

EpicA being more tactically complex than SM/TL is more debateable, but based on my personal experiences of the two the greater range of movement but less of shooting in EpicA encourages more movement, thinking / planning ahead and not knowing what your opponent might do, supported by greater interactions between units, the blast marker system and 'I go you go' within a turn rather than each player taking turns to use all their models. This is only my own subjective opinion of the two games and is expressed with a positive spin towards my favourite - but this in a thread asking for opinions of what system to play and which was not intended to be insulting to anyone or anyone's game.

Lastly I comment that EpicA is the version of the game the majority of people play these days. This is obviously speculative (how could anyone really know without doing a census of everyone in the world) but there are things that suggest to me it's likely. I read these forums very regularly (generally using the New Posts button so seeing posts in any section) and at a good 75+% of the forum posts seem to come from EpicA players. Then there are then around 10 EpicA tournaments in the UK alone in a year with one later this month having a record 20 players. I have not heard of any SM/TL or Net-Epic tournaments this year so far, perhaps they could be advertised only elsewhere but it would seem strange not to here. Again in mentioning this I meant no disrespect to Net-Epic or SM/TL but I brought up player numbers there to try to present an informed picture to Adam as if I was getting into a game then numbers of players and tournaments would be a factor (though personally not a big a factor or I'd play 40k or one of the other GW core games).

I came to this thread out of vague curiosity as to Net-Epic and how it might be different from SM/TL but I have not been made to feel welcome and have devoted more time to this than it is worth. We all play our individual favourite games and I am happy there is a range of options to cater for different tastes. Lets try and relax and get on with each other and not get upset or defensive by a range of opinions in a thread set out to ask for comparisons and advice between the games (not a debate I would have entered into under other circumstances).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Glyn: wanna give Net Epic a whirl post tournament?
R<

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@GlynG: It was a NetEpic thread. The End.

I can't recall going into an EA thread and doing the same... eh, um, no wait, oh, yes I did, just that one or two times... but I was kidding, honest! I'm sure they took it as a joke too. Ok, scratch the "never tried to subvert EA members" thing.  :whistle:  

Anyway, have you considered you may be in the wrong?.. At least in part if not entirely. I don't think you considered the pretty obvious outcome before posting. I think that is what set off the animosity, for which I for one will apologise for my part.

Edit: However, if you take up MoK's generous offer and give NetEpic a try please be sure to let us know your thoughts on the game and I hope we can make you feel more welcome on your return.

EDIT II: ...And no, I'm not trying to recruit you, honest.  :laugh: well...

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My idea was to play two games with similar forces and to write it up as a comparison article :-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Man of kent @ Oct. 21 2009, 21:52 )

My idea was to play two games with similar forces and to write it up as a comparison article :-)

That actually doesn't run to NetEpics strengths as its better for 'big' games, say instead of EpicEA which stretches to a Battalion, NetEA would be better suited to a brigade.
Maybe have one army card for each EA activation to do the difference in numbers?

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Indeed. A well rounded NetEpic Marine force wouldn't perform very well in E:A and vice versa. For example NetEpic rules makes infantry much weaker against titans, so you'd usually rely much more on vehicles...which is a notoriously poor choice for an E:A Marine list. I think the best solution would be to have a veteran E:A player and a NetEpic player each pick an army for you to use (maybe 3000 pt EA and 4-6000 pt NetEpic).

Nobody expects the Inquisition!!!
http://theepiclounge.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

And vehicles in turn being exceptionally vulnerable to fast attack melee units.

*Fond memories of a foolish opponent moving his land raider company through a city*

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/thenewtonwebb
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/thenewtonwebb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ah Land Raider companies.

Brittle. :)

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cool: i'll ask for some advice on the net epic boards and get going :-) Think marines versus imperial guard would be a good start.
See you over there,
R>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (The_Real_Chris @ Oct. 22 2009, 13:07 )

Ah Land Raider companies.

Brittle. :)

*smirks*

Yep - devastatingly powerful... until they lose there 2+ save in CC. A fantastic lesson in why armour needs infantry support.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/thenewtonwebb
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/thenewtonwebb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

[QUOTEuntil they lose there 2+ save in CC[/QUOTE]
yup hard to shoot at
but CC victims like nearly all not-skimmer tanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:16 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Quote: (Man of kent @ Oct. 23 2009, 01:30 )

Cool: i'll ask for some advice on the net epic boards and get going :-) Think marines versus imperial guard would be a good start.
See you over there,
R>

I thought this was the netEpic boards?!?

Edit: Oh I see, New Thread

Armyforge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just curious and I didn't want to detract with another thread:  Is the model commitment for NetEpic greater than with EA?

Skimming through the Ork & jaw-droppingly large Chaos list, it seems as though you would need far more models to mash together a force for NetEpic, but if it follows SM2 at all, half (3/4?) of those models/units are just redundant gravy.

So what's the deal?  Are the horde of additional units for cinematic flavor, as in SM2/TL,or are they actually "useful"?