Login |  Register |  FAQ

6mm Fantasy Crusader Kingdom Kickstarter

Post subject: 6mm Fantasy Crusader Kingdom Kickstarter
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've been in business for I think just about 12 years now, which is crazy to actually think about. During that time we have managed to release 18 distinct fantasy armies, as well as a ton of other stuff across multiple genres and scales, the newest of which being the 3mm fantasy line.

A consequence of being an essentially one-man shop in a niche hobby is that I have an abundance of things I would like to release, but not always the resources to follow through. In order to accelerate the release process for certain projects, I have launched our very first Kickstarter for a 6mm fantasy Crusader Kingdom army.

There are 6 codes available at launch with 8 more potentially unlocking across 4 stretch goals.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mi ... =user_menu

A sampling of some of the minis we are trying to bring into production:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 6mm Fantasy Crusader Kingdom Kickstarter
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Congratulations on opening all strerch goals. I have backed the project so was intrigued by suggestion there might be further stretch goals. I know it isn't in keeping with the theme but would the smaller undwad dragon be a possibility this time round? I know you have said elsewhere larger pieces like this are not too profitable so if not this time round would kickstarter be a way forward for these larger centre piece models?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

For this particular KS, since it is my first one, I was trying to keep it pretty small, limited to one army really.

I also think that KS is the way forward in general. It boggles my mind how much better sales via KS are than straight to retail. it is hard to wrap my head around.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Keep the KS small, seems to work just fine, you've met your target rather well.

Is it a lot of work to set up and run?

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/bitsblitz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It took a while to actually get them to recognize that I was a real business, that part was difficult. Other than that, the planning of the rewards and the number crunching takes some time, and actually setting up the campaign page maybe took me a day and a half.

Altogether, not a huge ton of work. It helped that I had everything pretty much ready to go, knew what the respective models would cost etc. So I guess more prep work than campaign work.

In terms of advertising and what not, I barely did more than I do for a typical release. I posted on Lead Adventure, which I usually don't do, and I posted on Reaper's Kickstarter forum, which was worthwhile. I probably should have sent a message to Beasts of War, might do that next time.

The fact that the campaign has done so well has large implications for my business. It means that most releases will need to be KS based, otherwise sales will be like 1/10th what they would be via KS. Because there are only so many KS's you can run a year, probably like 3 feasibly, I will have to start having slightly bigger campaigns to release the things I want to release.