Login |  Register |  FAQ

Wartorn Rules Beta 3-1b 1500 points Dread Elves vs Orcs

Post subject: Wartorn Rules Beta 3-1b 1500 points Dread Elves vs Orcs
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

G'day All,

I am technologically challenged, so this post may not work. I have written a Battle Report and attempted to embed several power point slides into a word document to present. Unfortunately, this does not allow me to copy and past the whole document, with power point maps, into the post area.

Hopefully by adding the file below, it will allow you to view the battle report, with associated maps, infull. If not, please let me know, and if someone could let me know how to do this correctly, that would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Attachments:
Wartorn Beta Rules 2nd Battle Report 1500 points Dread Elves vs Orcs and Goblins.docx [161.47 KiB]
Downloaded 257 times
Wartorn Beta Rules 2nd Battle Report 1500 points Dread Elves vs Orcs and Goblins.docx [161.47 KiB]
Downloaded 210 times
Downloaded 225 times
Downloaded 250 times

The Nightmare of your nightmares

"During your enslavement to me you will learn that there are worse things than dying."
"The world is ours, you only have to be strong enough to take what you want."
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Wartorn Rules Beta 3-1b 1500 points Dread Elves vs Orcs
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Really cool batrep! Loved the overhead view reminds me a lot of the old batreps i would read in whitedwarf when i was younger and the magazine was cool. I saw a couple issues with your list, but nothing major we've made a couple changes recently behind the scenes and it's hard to keep track of everything. I still think you should have given a second shaman to the orcs to balance the casting a little more. Did the orc command value scream orcish or do you think it hampered them a little to much? Is it something that needs to looked at?

Blind-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think the Orc command worked how I felt it should have worked, the Goblins failing their March Moves was a classic Orc Command problem.

I did find having to roll a Command Test for every single activation was tedious and sometimes just plain stupid. I suggest that a Command Test is required for the following Complex actions, March Move, Move and Shoot, Charge or Change Formation Heading (ie not a Wheel, but a complete Left or Right or About Turn using a Formations entire move to do so unless they are Skirmishers/Scouts/Characters). This would allow the Characters to use their Command Value to give orders. Formations are free to Move, Wheel or Shoot without needing a Command Test to do so. Formations can use their own Command Value if a Character fails in issuing a Complex Command, this shows the leader of the Formation using his initiative to get the Formation to act in accordance with higher Command.

I was trying to see if the extra Orc Stands at 4 Health would negate the Dread Elf magical superiority, it didn't. I would also like to see a couple more spells per army, I will put together a few ideas at a later stage.

With the changes and many proposals, I think the Beta 3-1 rules need to be updated with these first before i crack out battle report number 4. Battle Report number 3 Dread Elves vs Undead is in the process of being written up, battle has finished to a conclusive but very close result.

Yep, miss the old White Dwarf magazine, can't stand the new one just full of pictures (which although lovely etc, is just not White Dwarf anymore) and the weekly one either (which cannot be sent as a subscription... GW you lost a long term customer.) Anti GW rant over.

I will try to improve the maps a bit, I was trying to show individual Stands, but when they started wheeling etc, trying to punch out a great map and battle report was taking too long. This will change with the next battle report.

"During your enslavement to me you will learn that there are worse things than dying."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I thought we where going to play a failed command test as they sit and do nothing, prior I had s failed command test allow, move, shoot, charge, and standfast as the basic commands that are available. With March, force March, and move and shoot as advanced commands. I don't see charge those guys over their as an advanced command. I also think and advanced command could be move and remove demoralization markers.

I have an idea on making spell schools, each school has their own spells and each school gives a different bonus to the caster that is a student of that school. The dread elves had magical superiority because they had two wizards, the balance to that is equal wizards I believe. Also I believe exotic weapons should be removed from the dread elf war lizards.

More to come

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep to the failed command test, I was trying the old way (the battle was played several days ago, it just took me a few days to write it up, in the meantime we had agreed to test a new way to take Command Tests).

In my Dread Elves vs Undead battle report (just about to start on writing it up now, honest) I tried this:
1. if a Formation is within 20cm of a Character, the Characters Command Value could be used to activate the Formation, if this test was failed the Formation could then use its own Command Value to make a Command Test to activate.
2. if a Formation wasn't within 20cm of a Character, the Formation could only make one attempt to activate itself using its own Command Value.

I found this took some time, and seemed a little strange when missile armed troops who had previously shot at an enemy last turn would fail a Command Test and then do nothing, not even shoot at the same target they had previously.

I had removed Exotic Weapons from the Dread Elf War Lizards, only the Dread Elf Lord had an Exotic Weapon. I was referring to his personal bodyguard mounted on his base, not the separate Formation of War Lizards.

I think Charge should be a complex command to most troops. You have to inspire the men to work themselves up into a battle rage in order to charge into hand to hand combat.

I like the idea of taking a Command Test to remove Demoralization markers.

The Dread Elves had Magical superiority, the Orcs had Numerical superiority, unfortunately they could not capitalise on it like they had planned due to the Goblins failing March Move Command Tests a couple of times.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:21 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quick response, we may be over complicating the basic command structure of the game... I feel the old version with new commands added to it should be used. I mean it's a miniature game to be played for fun that isn't supposed to be too tedious and allow games to be played rapidly with exciting battles. Hand to hand combat is what 90% of formations souly train for I don't think it should be difficult to get a formation to start a melee through a charge. I think if a command check is failed you can move, shoot, charge, or standfast. This takes care of that formation shot at them last turn deal you talked about.

If we wanted to do a that formation wouldn't charge that perhaps make a command roll necessary when charging fear and terror having targets. -1 for fear -2 for terror on the command value to roll, if failed they sit where their at unwilling to budge. I don't like the idea of formations doing a move not being able to actually move, hence the failed activation the formation can only make single move. This could easily mess a cordinated attack up. I'll write up some advanced orders move and remove demoralization marker being one of the new ones, a basic one can be remove demoralization markers and the formation stands still.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

-1 to charge a Fear Causing Enemy, -2 to charge a Terror causing enemy...seems fair. It does address one of the issues I had thought about earlier this morning during the battle (still writing it up).

Yep, I probably am over complicating matters, but by doing so I think I am making the rules robust (and sometimes I do like being the Devil's Advocate).

A Command Test to "Restore Order" and remove a Demoralisation marker(s) is a great idea.

I will have to try and find my Goblin Wolfriders for the next Dread Elf vs Orcs and Goblins, and play around with a couple of different styles of Armies. The Dread Elf army I am using is very close to my old WHFB Dark Elf 2000pt Army, it feels very similar. I need to work out how to get some bolt shooting engines and a Hydra (or better still Hydrae) into the mix as well.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I agree! Only through options and playtesting can a ruleset be made better.