Login |  Register |  FAQ

3D Printing as a Production Alternative

Post subject: Re: 3D Printing as a Production Alternative
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well I took the dive and bought some of the initial printed resin offerings and, skeptic though I have been, I have zero complaints so far! They’ve all taken primer with minimal prep and seem to have been designed with good, solid parts that aren’t too feathery or fragile, not too fat and oversized. A nice set of models. Im planning on a camouflage prototype today, so we’ll see!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:01 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

thedespot29 wrote:
I definitely won't be able to match the detail of Excellent Miniatures, they are using some $10k Asiga machines I think.

you'd be surprised how much difference the resin can make, I've got a 2k printer and with the settings dialled in, I'm getting detail every bit as crisp as the excellent minis or other professional services, I'm getting these results with uniz zmud (no I'm not affiliated with them)

There are still lots of folks without printers, I'd personally rather buy the files and print my own, but for the folks who don't want to deal with the stink, mess and failed prints, I'm sure there is a big enough market

Heck it might make things easier for you to sell across borders, find a local printer firm, they pay you a monthly fee for use of your IP, and print models for local folks without having to tack on VAT and taxes and international shipping costs.... it seems to be working for Excellent miniatures.....

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the kind review.

I have also heard generally good things about uniz zmud. I have been using Siraya Navy Grey, which has been working quite nicely. I will say that for some of the 6mm infantry I have printed using the Sonic Mini 4k, I am having a hard time distinguishing the prints from the Form3 prints I typically use for masters. I think the Form 3 pixel equivalent is somewhere in the low .2's, with the Sonic mini 4k at .35 microns.

The Asiga machines that Excellent Miniatures uses definitely come out a bit cleaner and more sharp, but it may not be noticeable on all sculpts. We are also talking about the difference between like a $20k machine and a $370 machine, which is insane. Hell, even the Form 3 is $3k.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hmm, another option would be to go the Grimdark Terrain route: go subscription based. One type of subscription would be for just the STL's, and then you could do a 'merchant subscription', which would allow those parties to sell (only) the prints.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/bitsblitz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So, I think my way of doing business does not mesh well with selling or licensing files, and is kind of a dying model. These days I think creators selling directly to folks is kind of the standard, at least for digital files.

If I was a creator, then I would definitely do it though, but it just feels weird to commission or purchase the rights to models and then just directly sell the files. I feel like if I was a sculptor, I would look at that and wonder why I don't just go it alone and sell on myminifactory or something.

Lately I have considered doing a KS to sell my back catalogue of scifi stl files that barely sell any physical copies anymore anyway. Though I suppose that is a bit dishonest, as I would only be using KS for advertisement purposes and to cut down on the financial impact of potential piracy of the files.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That's not dishonest. In fact KS is now just a pre-sale system

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:05 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

thedespot29 wrote:
Thanks for the kind review.

I have also heard generally good things about uniz zmud. I have been using Siraya Navy Grey, which has been working quite nicely. I will say that for some of the 6mm infantry I have printed using the Sonic Mini 4k, I am having a hard time distinguishing the prints from the Form3 prints I typically use for masters. I think the Form 3 pixel equivalent is somewhere in the low .2's, with the Sonic mini 4k at .35 microns.

The Asiga machines that Excellent Miniatures uses definitely come out a bit cleaner and more sharp, but it may not be noticeable on all sculpts. We are also talking about the difference between like a $20k machine and a $370 machine, which is insane. Hell, even the Form 3 is $3k.

The upcoming longer orange 4k is gonna have 11micron resolution in the Y axis thanks to subpixel rendering, and 31 in the X, it's pretty impressive, and under $400....

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

WOW

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!