Login |  Register |  FAQ

New Releases and Previews

Post subject: Re: New Releases and Previews
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dear Steve, again I would just like to say how much I like your figures. I purchased some of the human figures from the kickstarter. At the moment I am currently expanding my batsman army. If it was not for the number of existing 6mm figures I had I could also be tempted by your 3mm offerings. I was wondering if you had any plans to develop the 6mm fantasy range further that you could share. I think I have seen ancient chinese. Are there any other races or expansions to existing ranges currently planned?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I definitely have plans for 6mm fantasy still. Way, way too many plans, totally unsupported by demand or reason. A number of things have caused delays on my end. My casting machine died, the fix was expensive. The whole Brexit thing and setting up the Etsy store, a nightmare. Son to be made worse in July when the EU goes the same way (bye bye 1/3rd of gross sales!). The fact that there is no way for me to collect VAT through Kickstarter kind of also puts a ceiling on future campaigns. I work all the time now, which looks like it won't change for at least the next 12 months. Limits my mental bandwidth for working through the challenges with the business, finding concept artists, sculptors, etc.. Lots of challenges really.

I have an extensive Bronze Age line that needs 10 more molds to be made before it can be released. A real nightmare disaster of a project, punctuated by mold mishaps and sizing issues from the sculptor. This has been going on for...I mean years now at this point. I have had cleaned masters to send back to the moldmaker since December, but it is always last on a long list of shit I need to do. Even if I sent them tomorrow, given their usual timeframe, that is easily 3-4 months before I get the molds back. I don't have the will to kickstart these. its something like 22 molds in total. The losses on this project will be staggering, which subconsciously is probably why I have been dragging my feet pushing it over the finish line.

I have 4 additional units sculpted for the Crusaders, as well as a huge and awesome siege tower that needs to be resin-cast. I also have a bunch of monster-sized units I want to put out for them, but these are going to be 3d printed, as the centerpiece type stuff usually sells poorly. I intended to get a sort of Desert fantasy themed army done along with them and wrap into a follow-up Kickstarter. This plan is more than a bit delayed though, by a lack of concept artists and by the sculptor's time. The main issue being that in parallel I am trying to finish up the Renaissance line, but the sculpting for that will take through the end of the year at the current rate, if not beyond. So I think I will have to shift the Desert army to a different sculptor, but there are the usual worries of compatibility etc.

I currently have an Elven army that has been re-sculpted by Martin Baker so it fits in better with my existing offerings. They were meant to be my second Kickstarter, I had 4 production molds pre-made in preparation to trial a new moldmaker, but they just aren't productive for me, not really viable with my hand-tightened machine. So my window to Kickstarter these has sort of passed in favor of other projects...but I struggle with just releasing them straight to retail as I know I will make approximately 80% less off of them. I suppose I could try to run one giant 6mm fantasy expansion Kickstarter, but the Elves don't really mesh thematically with the Crusader expansion or with a Desert-themed army.

6mm Ancient Chinese warring states will get a KS in the Fall. That is a really big one. at least 17 molds. I have no idea how it will do, but I think the minis are really cool. If I were smart I would sell the stl's as part of the KS, but I just can't bring myself to go there yet, despite my knowledge that home printing is the likely future of the hobby.

All of the above is sort of punctuated by the sad realization that if someone is interested in small scale mass battle fantasy, they are going to be playing warmaster, and probably either printing the units themselves or buying the units from a printing service who crowdsources their sculpting and doesn't have to worry about moldmaking.

Long-long term, maybe 2 years out, I did have plans to slowly release an updated 6mm fantasy line that was strip-based. Basically re-sizing and re-detailing the 3mm armies I am gradually releasing. Doing the math on the quantity of molds that would require, and the sheer time...I think it is a bit far fetched. By the time I get to it, they will likely only see the light of day as a hybrid release. Main units done in metal, elites and everything else in 3d printed resin.

All of that is just the 6mm fantasy/historical side of things. I also have 3mm fantasy, 3mm historical, fantasy naval, 6mm scifi, and 3mm scifi irons in the fire so to speak. Too many things really.

I can't even guess at a release schedule at this point beyond May/June will see a large-ish 6mm scifi Kickstarter.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Steve,
Thank you for your response. The desert army in particular sounds exciting. It sounds like it's been a rough time recently between machinery breaking down and tax law changing. You sound a bit disheartened by it. I for one have appreciated your figures over the years and would like to say thank you for what you do. Obviously as a manufacturer and retailer you will know more about selling minis than me but not all small scale gamers play warmaster and not all in 10mm. I know technology is moving on but I cannot afford/ justify a 3d printer and I'm sure lots of others cannot either. I hope you find a useful way forward.
Best wishes for the future,
Ronnie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

When I first realized I was finally able to build the 6mm scale armies I always wanted to, I went to Microworld first! I still have my poorly painted Foundationists, making trouble for the Federated Territories! You’re producing the most innovative lines at the moment - as long as you’re in business you’ll have me as a customer!

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks guys, disheartened is a good word for it!

Just a tough time in general for everyone I guess, also feels like a time of great change in general from a wargaming perspective with the rise of Patreons, 3d printing, etc. Things will stabilize eventually.