Login |  Register |  FAQ

Aircraft and Anti-aircraft weapons

Post subject: Aircraft and Anti-aircraft weapons
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have some questions on Aircraft. Some of this may be common sense, but I want to see the black and white, if possible. I am looking specifically in the main rules, with the thought that since Air Movement, etc, isnt referenced in the Table of Contents of the main book, I wasnt going to chase through every other book looking for clarifications.

First, it doesnt appear that there are any restrictions for firing at Aircraft. I see nothing saying that AT weapons cannot fire at Air units. In fact, all I see in the cheat sheets are that AA weapons suffer when firing against Armored targets, but I see nothing that indicates the reverse.

Second, other than the range, is there any reason for an aircraft to fly at Cruising altitude instead of Attack? Range seems to be the only reason that I can see.

Third, it appears that aircraft circle the battlefield like any other unit. Im coming from Epic: Armageddon where planes enter, do their business, then leave the battlefield, all on any given turn. SL seems to have them moving as normal, albeit maybe a bit faster than ground units (the Plasmablast Eaglebane you wrote up is only Move 30", compared to a Scout Trike at 12"). Was this the intent? Or can they come on and off the map as needed, since Im assuming a fighter should be moving a heck of a lot faster than 2.5x a scout bike :o

Thanks. Ive got a friend coming over to learn SL this weekend, and so Im brushing up on some stuff...

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Aircraft and Anti-aircraft weapons
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kealios wrote:
First, it doesnt appear that there are any restrictions for firing at Aircraft. I see nothing saying that AT weapons cannot fire at Air units. In fact, all I see in the cheat sheets are that AA weapons suffer when firing against Armored targets, but I see nothing that indicates the reverse.

See 12.1, Weapon Classifications, p. 32:
AT weapons may not attack non-Landed STOVL (exception: Automated Turret Control) or Air elements. AP weapons may only target Soft Target STOVL flying at Attack level.

Second, other than the range, is there any reason for an aircraft to fly at Cruising altitude instead of Attack? Range seems to be the only reason that I can see.

Range and LOS are the two reasons you'd want to be at Cruise.

Third, it appears that aircraft circle the battlefield like any other unit. Im coming from Epic: Armageddon where planes enter, do their business, then leave the battlefield, all on any given turn. SL seems to have them moving as normal, albeit maybe a bit faster than ground units (the Plasmablast Eaglebane you wrote up is only Move 30", compared to a Scout Trike at 12"). Was this the intent? Or can they come on and off the map as needed, since Im assuming a fighter should be moving a heck of a lot faster than 2.5x a scout bike :o

It's intended for them to loiter, expend their ordnance, and then exit to avoid being shot down. Having them move off the board and then re-appear somewhere on a friendly board edge always feels a bit 'gamey' to me, so I took the rules in a different direction. Doing it this way gives a predetermined starting point for a second/subsequent attack run - and you can double time Air units to gain a more advantageous position.

Thanks. Ive got a friend coming over to learn SL this weekend, and so Im brushing up on some stuff...

Would the brushing up be painting-wise or rules-wise? ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:35 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the answers. I knew the AT bit was in there somewhere :) I wrote it in the margin of my book.

Sounds like as long as my aircraft have weapons that will not deplete, they can circle the battlefield endlessly until they are shot down :) OK, I can live with that.

The brush up will, sadly, not be with paint. I am a horribly notorious social person, and can hardly function in my hobby without friends to suffer alongside me, and I havent conned a friend to come over for hobby night in far too long. I have about $300 USD in Exodus Wars models to assemble that are just sitting in a box :P

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I know how you feel - I have a similar amount in Plasmablast Progenitors that have been pushed aside for other projects, sitting in a box, base-coated, waiting for some attention. Would prolly be finished if I had chosen a simpler paint scheme - but noooo, I had to start painting them in winter camo...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yea, I feel sad that Ive resorted to Army Painter tan primer and washes...its quicker than my normal painting schemes (like http://kealios.blogspot.com/2012/01/15m ... plete.html) but still feels like its cheating.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@Kealios,
I may be interested in making the drive to san jose to get a couple games in sometime. I've been trying to learn the rules but without someone else to play with it takes longer lol.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Im down, man! We're going through the first two scenarios today. It'll be my second time through Scenario #1. As soon as I have some friends who get the basics, we'll try a full meet-and-greet. This definitely feels like a game that you need to learn slowly, as there are a lot of special rules to keep track of and a TON of weapon/ability types. Other than that, most weekends will work!

Send me a PM when you're interested.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

KaJo,

So if a STOVL or Air element is armoured, then an AA can target it, but must reduce its die?

Also, somewhat related question - say I have an AT weapon with an automated turret control and I fire at a soft air element. As I understand it I use the "to hit" procedure, but then for damage use defense. What if I "hit" with my attack, but then fail to exceed my target's defense with my training+damage die roll?

Thanks,
-Tim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tim,

1. Correct.

2. The target is undamaged by the attack. This is one thing that will be changing in the re-write, and will probably involve just rolling the firing unit's damage die on the soft target line of the damage table. Until then, you could use this as a house rule... or roll higher. :)