Login |  Register |  FAQ

Strike Legion Unit Designer - Progress Thread

Post subject: Strike Legion Unit Designer - Progress Thread
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

For those of you that don't following the strike legion yahoo group, I committed to writing a unit designer for strike legion and this will be the thread to track its progress, though mostly I think it'll be me asking rules questions :)

Dev status, day 1, about 650 lines of code (not counting the interface):

Construction parts from Skunk Works:

' Part 1 - FINISHED!
' Part 2 - FINISHED!
' Part 3 - FINISHED!
' Part 4 - FINISHED!
' Part 5 - In Progress, should be done tonight
' Part 6 - Starting tonight, should be done tomorrow
' Part 7
' Part 8
' Part 9
' Part 10
' Part 11 - Some progress
' Part 12 - Some progress
' Part 13 - Some progress
' Part 14 - Unneccessary (Drones)
' Part 15 - Some progress
' Part 16
' Part 17 - Skipping (Ortillery)
' Part 18 - Some progress
' Part 19 - Personnel. Will not be part of the vehicle designer but an additional function
' Part 20 - Personnel. Will not be part of the vehicle designer but an additional function
' Part 21 - Personnel. Will not be part of the vehicle designer but an additional function
' Part 22 - Personnel. Will not be part of the vehicle designer but an additional function
' Part 23
' Part 24 - Skipping (Minefields)
' Part 25 - Skipping (Fieldworks)

After I still need to do things like loading/saving/printing and cleaning up the interface, but that is easy. Right now it is a .NET 4.0 EXE, but when closer to completion I may try to port it to asp.net... maybe.

Questions that popped up while coding:
' Can bulkheads be used with organic or hybrid hulls?
' TL1 Archiac defense increases are 10% BHV each, as are Hybrid and Organic, but mechanical vehicles are 50 points each?
' Open topped vehicles only turreted and non turreted? Or also walker/air/stovl/etc?
' What TL is advanced sharmor?
' Must side armor on ALL vehicles be identical?
' Do all displacement moves ignore armor and signature for movement purposes, or just primary?

I'll update this thread as I progress...

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Strike Legion Unit Designer - Progress Thread
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Part 5 done.
I inputted all the data for Part 6 (Systems). It'll be pretty easy to get it added in a few hours tomorrow.... which really only leaves weapons and special case stuff.

Anyway, about systems, each system has the following attributes:
Name
Class (fluffy, not really used for anything)
Mechanical Tech Level
Hybrid Tech Level
Minimum Signature
Maximum Signature
Maximum Value (for things with multiple values/points/ratings)
System Points, Base
System Points, Per Value
Cost, Multiplied By BHV
Cost, Multiplied By TL
Cost, Multiplied By Value
Cost, Multiplied By BHV * Value
Cost, Base
Maximum AOE
Unreliable Allowed?
Required Systems
Excluded Systems
Required Chassis
Required Mobility

I itemized a few things like Command, Tow Packages, Absorber Fields, etc, so you'll see multiple entries. I did this to avoid having 2 numbers to change for 1 item. The only system that doesn't easily fall into this is Scout EW. Scout EW needs to look at another system, EW/Fixed EW, in order to determine its maximum value. I just figured I'd hard-code this one, its easy to deal with and I just didn't want to have to look at other systems to determine cost/rating maximums.

The hardest part about systems now is creating an interface to add/sort/filter them, but it isn't *that* hard.

Once that part is complete, I'm off to the weapons, which are really parts 7-9 and 18E. Part 10 is 30 seconds to knock out. Parts 11-13 and 15 could be kind of annoying. Part 16 and 23 I should be able to knock out pretty quick.

New question:
Can hybrids use Area Shields?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

/jaw drop

Awesome. Really looking forward to this. This has been a long time coming, and it looks like someone competent has finally gotten the bit between their teeth!

I dont know TL of Sharmor...but I do know that on Skunk Works p.36 has the Max of EW (TL3) shown incorrectly. It says "1/2 per point, max 6 points." Per KJ, that is supposed to be "Max 8 pts"

Also keep in mind, on SW p.42, the Cost Modifier of the Traits such as Advanced Pulse, Dual Mount, etc, you need to add a "1" in front of those decimals. In other words, an Advanced Pulse is a 1.75 multiplier, not .75, and Quad Mounts are a 2x multiplier, not 1x. Makes a huge difference and Im not sure why he wrote it like that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Some answers:

' Can bulkheads be used with organic or hybrid hulls?
No.

' TL1 Archiac defense increases are 10% BHV each, as are Hybrid and Organic, but mechanical vehicles are 50 points each?
Correct.

' Open topped vehicles only turreted and non turreted? Or also walker/air/stovl/etc?
Subjective based on background, but I'd allow all types to be OT (though being n/a if also Streamlined).

' What TL is advanced sharmor?
TL7

' Must side armor on ALL vehicles be identical?
Yes.

' Do all displacement moves ignore armor and signature for movement purposes, or just primary?
All (IIRC; might need to double-check in the morning).

Can hybrids use Area Shields?
Hybrids yes; pure organic, no.

Also, still waiting on a list of additional items from forthcoming projects; hopefully will be available soon. Also, there is a correction to Psionics as regards cost I'll have to track down... filed away somewhere around here...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Part 8/rule section 23 (Psionics) - each psionic ability should have an 'x' value equal to half of its range, rounded down (EX: Confuse/2 would have a range of 4" and a PV of 20).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cool, thanks.

New questions:
Can Scout EW be used with Radar?
Can a repair bay be used with both auto-repair AND advanced auto-repair?

I am now loading all the systems. When you want to add/remove systems, you'll click a button and it'll popup with a new form that has a listing of all systems you can use (based on things like tech levels, vehicle size, and various required/excluded systems), set a rating, see its cost, and add/remove it to the vehicle. Oh, and I show you the system description in a little box below it, so you can see what it does in game.

I should be able to finish systems up today, and start on weapons. I *know* I'll have lots of questions on weapons, but I think the coding part will be pretty easy.

I will end up redoing the data cards a wee bit. Mostly just coloring, as it'll be configurable for a faction. The grid in the background, the background fill, the foreground text, the box borders, and box fill will all be configurable colors based on a "faction". I'll create a print to PDF format, which is a bit more of a pain than PNG and I'll have to use an external library, but the files you generate will be smaller and easier for people to deal with. If anybody wants to create some color themes (easy enough in paint.net/photoshop or even just mspaint) it'd help, according to my wife I can't match colors at all, so my end result may be kinda ugly :)

I'll add the conversion for Planetary Operations for units you create.

I'll create a separate app for Platoon Leader.

Lunchtime, I should be able to code some more tonight, but weekday progress will be much slower...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

>Can Scout EW be used with Radar?
No.

>Can a repair bay be used with both auto-repair AND advanced auto-repair?
Yes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Took me a bit longer than expected, mostly due to crazy form stuff (I'll explain later), but adding/removing systems is now completed! That is part 6 btw... now the biggest chunk, part 7, WEAPONS!!!

When you program in windows, at least the visual languages, you attach "events" (chunks of code) that get executed every time you do something like click a button, a dropdown list, or click in a list box. Its all pretty easy to do. However, when you have code that updates another box, it gets crazy with recursion.

So, lets say I change the signature. That needs to change the chassis types available, which in turn changes the armor locations, and when armor is changed movement has to be adjusted. However, when movement is adjusted it may need to change the the TL, and when the TL changes the chassis may need to change, and it ends up being a REAL PITA to do all that validation (these steps may not be accurate, just an example). This is my #1 problem coding in windows, and I end up creating temporary values saying "hey, I'm doing this other thing, so don't update yet", which isn't a good practice I don't think.

If anybody wants to "alpha test" let me know. While the application just doesn't let you design anything at ALL yet, those validations I just mentioned really need double checked. I need somebody to go through and put together combinations, and let me know if they get an error, if some option goes away, or something just doesn't act as expected.

Once I get weapons done I'll call it a beta and probably start releasing it to everybody to test.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just entered in all the weapons systems (but not the munitions), looks like it'll be a bit easier than I anticipated!

Some questions though:
The APMC cost isn't multiplied by AOE???
How many HP does EDG use?

I think I'm confused on the AP/AT designation. We have AP weapons in Skunk Works, so is everything else just considered "AT"? if not, are AP and AT weapons essentially identical except that designator, including costs? Guess I've just never really "got it", but may just be looking too much into it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

>The APMC cost isn't multiplied by AOE???
No - all APMC have a static 2" AoE.

>How many HP does EDG use?
EDG have a maximum range band of 7 and use 6HP. The weapon’s cost is 30 times its range band.

AP weapons are a specific weapon type that uses no class indicator (disruptor, laser, plasma, etc.), thus have no class cost modifier. Vehicle-mounted AP weapons should use the same TL range/damage die restrictions as infantry team SAW weapons (SLSW section 19.G1, p. 57). EDIT: AP use HP as any other weapon (die type -2).

AA weapons are simply given the AA designation, though built in the same manner as AT weapons; a simple toggle changing the note sent to the data card (AT/AA) should be sufficient here as there are no cost differences.

And I'll be happy to check for anomalies when you have something ready to go; PM me or mail me at kjdidit at dslextreme dot com. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

One thing that stuck in my mind last night as I was reading through unit entries in the back of the book:

Syntax, can you make an output on the data sheet for TL of the vehicle?

Why? Because any system that you design something, you can cheat. "CHEAT!?", you say! Well, maybe not intentionally...but you know, mistakes happen, and I have to trust that you, my good friend and forgetful comrade, didnt overpower and undercost your vehicles...so...throw a TL onto the unit card, and maybe even a "HP used" and "System Points used" or something so I can glance at something and think, Yup, or Nope.

Too much? Too anal? Maybe :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kealios wrote:
Syntax, can you make an output on the data sheet for TL of the vehicle?

Sure, plus I will probably try to make it so you can submit designs on the site, if they pass the validation, they are available to print off the site. You could then verify the design, and the construction, by going to a website on your phone ;)

I'll shoot you an email KaJo once I get the weapons at least mostly integrated... be a few days I'm thinking.

Though it aint much to look at now, attached a screen shot of the interface at the moment (It may look 100% different when released, but this proves I've done something!)

Attachments:
SL.png
SL.png [ 59.33 KiB | Viewed 7968 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Awesome! I think your Hull armor values should only list "Sides" like the Turret do, so you end up having only 6 entries:
Hull Front
Hull Sides
Hull Rear
Turret Front
Turret Sides
Turret Rear

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'll fix it so only sides are shown at some point, instead of Right/Left... I can't think of any historic unit that would have different side armor (Perhaps the Grant due to the side mounted 75?, doubt it tho).

Been a while since I touched the code, my last project got released and I had to spend the last week pushing out little fixes.

Question:
The PART, its cost multiplier of Damge_Die*Range_Band*0.8 "includes the modifier for 90 degree arcs", is it safe to assume that if I didn't include that arc multiplier, it'd just be *0.9?

Is there a minimum AOE for artillery? I'd guess 0.5", but it'd be possible I guess to have no AOE.

So AP weapons are built as personnel SAW weapons and simply added to the vehicle, and not Gauss/Disruptor/Laser/Plasma/Particle/Ionetc? And assuming that, any reason a "Gun Battery/AT" has the AT designator? And a follow-up, there are AP weapons in the vehicle weapon tables part 7C that seem to mirror those under personnel weapons at 19C, can it be assumed that special rules 19C1 and maybe even 19C2 also apply when those weapons are mounted on vehicles?

And a question on Organic/Hybrid. Hybrid/Mechanical TL's seem to make sense to me, but what about Organic only vehicles? I am guessing that 100% organic vehicles are always built with the personnel rules and not vehicle rules?

GART says "TL2 sea elements use TL3 weapon limitations", so basically if a unit has sea (or sub? and including sail/physical/etc?) primary (or secondary?) mobility types, at TL2 they would use the maximums for TL3 right?

Also, often when referring to walker arcs the book says "RF" or "LF", when those are never defined and should probably be "FR" and "FL", respectively. Those arcs are also used on the vehicle firing arcs in the back of book 1... just kinda inconsistent.

What is the cost multiplier of the extended 270 degree firing arcs from part 17, page 23? I would guess 95% as 180 degree is 90% and 360 degree 100%.

Torpedoes. The speed is set at 15 for 3 turns, but the cost is speed/3. Is speed then variable so any number can be chosen UP to 15? Also, does that affect range, so maybe all torpedo's have a range of 45, and if say 9 speed was chosen instead of 15, its endurance would be 5 turns instead of 3?

Also, with torpedoes, they are limited to sea mobility? I happen to know some Air and STOVL units that use them to hunt submarines :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Keep in mind that at least two of the Firing Arcs share the same abbreviation in the books, so you'll need to invent your own (I think it is Fixed Rear and Forward Right, both "FR").