Login |  Register |  FAQ

Strike Legion Unit Designer - Progress Thread

Post subject: Re: Strike Legion Unit Designer - Progress Thread
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ahhh, much closer now (151 vs 144). Thanks!

Is artillery *5 too, or is it RangeBand*DamageDie*AOE?

I'll go implement the ability to save/load by filename, add a unit name (somehow forgot that!), add a little form that pops up and shows you how the cost was determined, then start running through designs and entering them in, fixing any bugs I encounter on the way.

Once I get all those entered, and fix any bugs, I'll push out the alpha exe to, well, anybody who chimes in on this thread and the yahoo group.

There are a few very minor things I haven't implemented yet and will work on after the alpha, the are:
- Bulkheads
- Drop Pods & Transports
- Unreliable SYSTEMS
- Systems that get smaller with TL increases over their minimum TL
- When you downgrade the TL, or chassis, or signature, or whatever, I need to remove systems from that page that are no longer legal.
- As you select a psionic ability, remove it from the possibilities of other abilities as you can only have each once.
- Add mouse tooltip support when you hover over units
- Add a little diagram showing the arcs as a pie chart, not just a check box
- Add support for the "50% of walker weapons to RF/LF/OL/OR"
- Add support for selecting torpedo speed
- Better looking save/load pages
- Airplane squadron support
- Support for the ability of some units to use HP as SP and vice-versa
- Various little interface issues, behavior sometimes isn't all that intuitive

And of course I still need to work on (most of these are REALLY easy):
- Gun Designer (for stand alone towed type weapons)
- LRM Designer
- Minefield Designer
- Fieldwork Designer
- Ortillery Designer
- Personnel Unit Designer (this one is a lot more work than the rest)
- Planetary Operations conversion

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

RangeBand*DamageDie*AOE is correct for ART.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well I apologize for not finishing this, well, like 2 months ago when I started. It wasn't that it was that hard of a project, I just kept getting sidetracked by other things. At this point I have most of the code written (though obviously buggy and needs playtesting) and you can design/save/load vehicles. I don't show the totals anywhere, but you can save/load designs (any issues, exit and restart).

Anyway, since it does kinda work, though I know it'll have wacky things popup that I'll need bug reports to fix (try to duplicate the issue, and let me know the exact steps so i can reproduce it). I'll release this to download.

No printing or card creation functionality yet either, sorry... thats easy stuff once the rest is done :)

No support yet for special munitions either.

There is a source.zip within the file that contains the vb.net source, as well as the excel file I used to input all the weapon/system information. If somebody wants to take this on and can dedicate more time go for it.

Anyway, the download link is at http://goodsects.dyndns.org/strikelegion.zip. I have quite a few units entered, though a few had issues (aegis was one, I fixed the bug that didn't allow it, but didn't update the designs).

Again, sorry I couldn't really come through with this in a timely manner. If there is a new version of the product that comes out (I'd like to just see one good book, with all the rules from all 4 modules) I can revisit this at a later date. Perhaps in a few months I'll have more time.

EDIT: Updated link as my dynamic hosting provider changed my DNS name.

Last edited by Bad_Syntax on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This is a great start. My heartfelt THANKS!!!!! I will download it and play with it this week. Again, having tried on my own, I know how much work this is, and you got further than I did.

Really awesome news.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for all of your work on this! A few notes after playing with it a little:

-Hull side armor should be a single entry, not split into 2 sides (similar to what you have for turret armor entries).

-Systems: the SP usage for systems should be reduced by 1 for each TL above the base TL of the system, to a minimum of 1SP. For example, a 4SP system with a base TL of 5 would use 3SP at TL6, 2SP at TL7, and 1SP at TL8.

-Due to how they operate in-game, variable weapons should be allowed access to a weapon damage die entry of up to a d44 (yes, d44 - not a typo).

-Missing: maybe I overlooked it, but is there a field showing the vehicle's running/final game point value? I was also able to freely create vehicles that exceeded SP and HP allotments; were you intending to have a design check function in the program, or leave that to the user to manually verify?

Again, many thanks for putting the effort in getting this off the ground. :)