Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Suggestions for the next version of the ordos

Post subject: Re: Suggestions for the next version of the ordos
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I was talking about GK

Quote:
Formations with this ability do not ANY negative modifier for rallying when broken

I believe the -1 to rally for enemy within 30cm should remain as there should always be the possibility of the GK not rallying (so no auto rally - thought of that one already)

Quote:
Don't great knights have ATSKNF anyway? They really don't need to made even harder to break!

Well they break just the same. In this case you have a small 'window of opportunity' to kill off a few while broken, which is a damn site better to what the list currently offers.

Quote:
and requires 1 extra Blast Marker to break the formation

Ah! That is what Mr Z was referring to. No, we should not make them harder to break than what they already are.

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Well. Rumours say that a new Grey Knights Codex is on the way and will arrive January or so.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have indeed been away for a little while, but I do generally check in from time to time ... I will try to put together the long-anticipated update together in the next week ... but is there anyone actually playing these lists out there or is this entirely academic?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I believe there are quite a lot of people interested in playing the grey knights, but they feel the list is pretty out of date.

There are certainly some new sisters players out there, though some are using my Ministorum list.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Playtests will happen if the list is consistently looked at, talked about, and updated.

This "check in from time to time" is not really going to work for a list that needs a consistent AC to get it to a level that people will actually play.

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I will also add that the game is moving on from the old lists and it would be good if these lists had a major overhaul.

Lord I, if you cannot really spend the time needed (understandable as real life does that), why not do the right thing and pass it onto those that will take the list forward?

Mr Z is one such person that has shown an interest...

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm interested in playing *a* Grey Knights list...

Quote:
Lord I, if you cannot really spend the time needed (understandable as real life does that), why not do the right thing and pass it onto those that will take the list forward?

QFT. I've done this myself with several lists where I didn't have the time to devote to them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I am interested in stewarding the Ordos Xenos list until such time as LordI returns.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Moscovian wrote:
I am interested in stewarding the Ordos Xenos list until such time as LordI returns.

As long as people can agree on 'shared units' and 'shared abilities' (probability = unsure), then this should not be a problem.

Otherwise, one person should have an overview over the Ordo as a whole.

Even if there were sub-champs working on the different Orders with one person overviewing the whole 'project', with a final decision on direction, then that would work as well.

Overall however, I really do think new ideas and approaches need to be made to the current list. Otherwise, people should do their own and help development by producing these for people to discuss further. It will work for Tyranids, so I see no reason why it would not work for these lists.

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I am happy to steward the lists and if there is any actual playtesting going on I will do so regularly. I am not, however, too excited about theoryhammering much more. I have some changes I want to make based on my own playtesting (what little happens) and I'm happy to work towards a larger project but without any playtest feedback I'm not interested in making sweeping changes. People can make whatever lists they like but I feel the more lists there are the weaker each one becomes all the more so with multiples for a single army.

The grey knight are on hold until the new codex but really are well playtested and don't need much tweaking. I'm happy to observe Evils sisters and try to make the two lists dovetail if he's getting some serious playtesting in which is something I've never really been able to do with the sisters. Xenos progressed for the Xenos book but that peetered out, and as far as I know I'm the only person with a functional Deathwatch army except possibly Ragnarok.

I love these lists and I'd like to take them further, there's literally years of work in these lists. But playtesting has been pretty much nonexistent.

So. Throw models on table and I will update regularly, a pm can alway prod me into action.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Lord Inquisitor wrote:
I love these lists and I'd like to take them further

That's awesome news Lord I.

I really wish you were open to the removal of Fearless from the Grey Knights (I did suggest an auto rally and a 25 point drop - see link below) as well as some other changes. I have a few Grey Knights fully painted, yet like the old Chaos lists, opponents are scarce when the army is all Fearless.

Take a gander here and let me know what you think: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=19140

Thanks.

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
I love these lists and I'd like to take them further, there's literally years of work in these lists. But playtesting has been pretty much nonexistent.

I've said for years I'd love to play a grey knights army, but the number and style of special rules in your army lists is not to my taste. We did play your Witch Hunters list a couple of times, but the experience was again not to the taste of our gaming group so Zombo was motivated to write his own Sisters list.

Frogbear's list of concerns that keep him from playing the Grey Knights is very similar to my own (Though I don't have quite the same fear of using an all-fearless army), except I'd also want to see you removing those support staff units' special rules.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:58 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Lord Inquisitor wrote:
but is there anyone actually playing these lists out there or is this entirely academic?

I'm trying/planning on building up my Sisters next. However its hard to plan out my models and basing when the Ordos H and Adeptus lists aren't the same units and/or formation sizes. I understand the need and your want for playtesting, but its hard to setup an army when there are two different units going on. I don't see myself making a GK list soon but others seemed interest, but I'm sure most people would agree to wait till the next codex. As for Xenos I might try them after my SM are put back together, but for now my focus would be Sisters, both lists.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:
Quote:

I've said for years I'd love to play a grey knights army, but the number and style of special rules in your army lists is not to my taste. We did play your Witch Hunters list a couple of times, but the experience was again not to the taste of our gaming group so Zombo was motivated to write his own Sisters list.

Frogbear's list of concerns that keep him from playing the Grey Knights is very similar to my own (Though I don't have quite the same fear of using an all-fearless army), except I'd also want to see you removing those support staff units' special rules.

Sisters were never playtested. Grey Knights were. A lot. Beyond VTOL (going) and Support Staff (staying unless someone comes up with a genius alternative I've not considered), how many special rules are left?

frogbear wrote:
Lord Inquisitor wrote:
I love these lists and I'd like to take them further

That's awesome news Lord I.

I really wish you were open to the removal of Fearless from the Grey Knights (I did suggest an auto rally and a 25 point drop - see link below) as well as some other changes. I have a few Grey Knights fully painted, yet like the old Chaos lists, opponents are scarce when the army is all Fearless.

Take a gander here and let me know what you think: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=19140

Thanks.

Try them. Again, to be blunt, I'm not interested in re-writing a well-playtested list based on theoryhammer, these topics have been hashed out literally years ago. Yes, they're Fearless. They should be ... but in reality it is only a small perk and they play very differently to other Fearless armies because they have ATSKNF. Consider a unit of 4 Grey Knight Terminators. They need to lose three stands to break due to ATSKNF. The final stand breaks... but what good does Fearless do? A single broken stand with ATSKNF actually can't be auto-popped by the automatic BM from being fired upon, so Fearless actually has zero effect on a Terminator formation unless the enemy uses disrupt weapons. Fearless really only works on large formations or (the big benefit) when in combat (which is reasonable as the GKs typically take on much bigger foes than themselves).

Your complaint is based on theoryhammer. If you really can't pursuade opponents to play because of a perceived problem with Fearless then that's an issue but if you can playtest then I'm confident you won't see a big problem.

Try them, try them, try them. Then we talk. I've playtested the Grey Knights extensively, even taken them to a couple of tournaments.

Angel_of_Caliban wrote:
Lord Inquisitor wrote:
but is there anyone actually playing these lists out there or is this entirely academic?

I'm trying/planning on building up my Sisters next. However its hard to plan out my models and basing when the Ordos H and Adeptus lists aren't the same units and/or formation sizes. I understand the need and your want for playtesting, but its hard to setup an army when there are two different units going on. I don't see myself making a GK list soon but others seemed interest, but I'm sure most people would agree to wait till the next codex. As for Xenos I might try them after my SM are put back together, but for now my focus would be Sisters, both lists.

Sisters have never received the same attention due to lack of models on my part and a desire to try and get the other lists balanced first. Build your sisters, let me know what needs to happen to the list to make it playable. As I said, I'm happy to let Evil work through his list with minimal meddling from me and I'll restructure the Ordo H as necessary. The level of playtesting has been linked to models Ordo M (widely available models) < Ordo X (easily converted but fringe interest) < Ordo H (zero models, until recently).

Last edited by Lord Inquisitor on Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
I'm happy to let Evil work through his list with minimal meddling from me

You mean Zombocom.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next