Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

The Inquisition

Post subject: Re: The Inquisition
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Excellent news :) Part of the reason I did the Ministorum list was not to tread on your toes, though obviously it's the direction I prefer as it means I can focus the list more on the sisters.

I've made quite a few stat changes, so we should look at consolidating there. I can of course give reasons for any of the changes I've made.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

And the angels rejoiced :) Looking forward to getting some games in with my Sisters soon, and having coordinated lists would just be the icing on the cake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:25 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Good to have you back Lord_I

Last edited by Tiny-Tim on Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:48 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Doh, yes I'll edit that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I am bad...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Umm, I think I may be chasing a bandwagon that left several months ago but...

Faithful:
Currently,

SPECIAL RULE – Special Action: Pray
Any Ordo Hereticius Inquisition army formation may take a "Pray" special action
instead of a normal action. Upon a successful action test, the formation may
either make one move or shoot normally once. In addition, all faithful units in
the formation receive the Fearless, Invulnerable Save and Thick Rear Armour
special rules until the formation’s next action.

Proposed:

Special Rule - Faithfull.

A formation with a faithfull unit may reroll one dice per game.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm not interested in adopting that sort of rule in my list. I found the rerolls from the support staff in the inquisition lists to be extremely awkward.

I've been trialling Pray as being a hold action that gives Fearless and Reinforced armour to the whole formation, and have found that it does actually have its uses.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Why were they so awkward?

is it the accounting or the break in the gameflow? I'm not really a fan of the current Inq formation - I'd be tempted just to put him adn 4 friends on a base, give them a stat and call it a day. Well, with 20 or so of his favourite storm troopers...

'Pray' is simple enough the second time, it just doesn't feel like miraculous intervention to me. I figured the dice rerolls gave a better chance of unlikely occurrences.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
Why were they so awkward?

IIRC his opponent didn't just say "awkward", he said "those support staff are gosh darned ridiculous".

I think it was something about all the re-rolls being used to keep the inquisitor alive, or something.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Maddoctor: Why do you feel that the change would benefit the list? The re-rolls require tracking (which people are against) and conflict with the support staff mechanic.

As for the support staff, yes, they can be used to give the Inquisitor a re-roll on the save and can make the Inquisitor very hard to kill. This is intentional. If you like, it's a way to give the Inquisitor Reinforced Armour. I was keen to make the Inquisitor the focus of the retinue and with the Inquisitor dead the retinue just becomes a band of freaks and weirdos with guns. Unlike other armies, where the formation is usually a battlefield formation and not just a retinue for the character, the Inquisitor formations are all about the Inquisitor! In earlier versions of the list, I actually had a special rule (Last Man Standing) that meant that you couldn't hit the Inquisitor until you'd hit every other unit in the formation, however, with playtesting, the henchman re-rolls were good enough to keep him (or her) alive most of the time. So if the support staff keep the Inquisitor fighting, that's the point. That's what they're there for. I think the formation is fairly costed and without the re-rolls it would be overcosted.

I personally don't find the re-rolls to be any more difficult to track than blast markers, overwatch, broken formations or any of the other things one needs to track in Epic. I'm open to other suggestions but none really work as well to show the enchancement support staff can provide the Inquisitor.

As for lumping support staff and henchmen together as a single stand and merely making the Inquisitor an upgrade for stormtroopers ... that, I feel is just too bland for my liking. I like this idea for a Cadian Interior Guard list (where Inquisitors would lead Kasrkin) but if we're talking about an Inquisitorial Task Force I want the whole entourage of freaks and nutters feel. This was my view from the start.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:
IIRC his opponent didn't just say "awkward", he said "those support staff are gosh darned ridiculous".

My eyes! Your bad words hurt my f**king eyes! :D

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
f**king

I once read someone's opinion that stated that using asterisks to conceal a few letters in words that everyone knows what they are is hypocritical, and I agreed with that opinion.

So now I either write "naughty" words or I don't; I don't write words with stars in them and pretend that children don't know what they are, or pretend that the act of putting asterisks into the word somehow makes the word less "rude".

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

To be honest, I'm not sure it would benefit the list in terms of play.

It just felt more in keeping with the Sister's background, much like how you like your Inquisitors freaky. Faith results in miraculous events in the heat of battle, a Sister so enraged as to tear the hatch of a rhino open, or a sister so blessed as to walk through a hail of heavy bolter fire to reach the foe. In my mind, they are impossible, spontaneous occurrences, not ducking into a circle and girding your loins.
It requires tracking, but no more then blast markers, overwatch, broken formations or any of the other things one needs to track in Epic. ;-)

When I made the suggestion, I hadn't realised how much work was going on with this, or the other 'ministorium' list. I'd been playing with a few concepts myself, and nobody like letting go of an idea.

As for the Inquistitor; at the 40k level, I've never really ran or even considered running an Inquisitor with more then 4 or 5 henchmen. Hence thinking in terms of a single base.

Just to clarify, how does the stormtrooper formation activate it's acro-flagglent upgrades if they have to teleport into an Inquisitor's formation?

EDIT:

Do you want me to post the final list here? just as an example of what an epic newb might do?
you'll be pleased to know i took the glavian pilot...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:30 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Inspiration!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next