Login |  Register |  FAQ

My Adeptus Titanicus Game.

Post subject: My Adeptus Titanicus Game.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:10 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

After thinking this over during the holiday weekend here in the US, I have one major criticism - the damage system is too "flat" across multiple platforms.

While size is based on the EA DC, the actual damage that a titan can take is based on the "damage status" chart.  Basically, aside from the number of weapons that might spread damage out a bit, every titan has the exact same effective damage capacity.  The only difference in durability between a Warhound and a Warlord are the armor values.

Obviously, a lot can be done with armor values alone, but I would recommend adjusting the damage charts as well.  It's pretty wide practice in wargames to have damage charts with blocks missing (pre-filled/pre-marked/whatever) for smaller units.  So, instead of Warhound titans having minor/major/disabled, they could have minor/disabled (with the "major" damage" removed).  That could lead to a 2-hit kill with bad die rolls, but it would still allow the possibility for taking 4 hits and still having an opportunity to repair.  In addition, having an option to block only some of the squares will be a good way to customize other mid-range war engines as a bit tougher or weaker.

Also in the relative damage vein, the difference in the 3+ reinforced and 4+ reinforced from the Warlord to the Reaver is pretty darn big.  I realize the reactor and shield generator saves remain the same which mitigates it somewhat, but it's still close to 2x the durability against AT and assault hits (I'm assuming the translation to EA already) and 1.5x as good against MW hits (3 hits for one damage instead of 2 hits on average).  Even with equal weakness against TK, that seems quite a bit tougher than a DC6 v DC8 (or even 6 v 9 from 40K).

For the Warlord, I suggest leaving the legs at 3+RA but leave the other saves as the Reaver.  Since there is a pretty good chance of hitting the legs from any angle, that will give it more durability against a fairly common hit, but not make it as impervious across the board.

Of course, that suggestion is sans playtest, so maybe I'm wrong about the relative toughness of the battle titans.  It just seems like a big jump on paper.

As another way to adjust relative toughness, you might figure a way to have the size factor into repair rolls.  I'm not quite sure how to work this (maybe something like the maximum number of repairs in a single turn would be 1/2 the size?), but a system based on size would have a nice advantage of helping out larger things like the Ork Gargants automatically so you could keep the relative effects of damage charts similar in scope.

===

Ork Gargant ideas:

Hit locations

Front
1- feet
2-3 body
4-5 weapons
6 head

Side/rear
1- feet
2-3 body
4 weapons
5 boiler
6 head

Damage

Feet - as Imperial Legs (though possibly with just an "immobilized" effect rather than critical damage).

Body
Minor - "Auxiliary" weapons (if present) cannot fire. (Great Gargant Big Gunz, Krawla skorcha turrets, Kustom Gargant AA guns, etc.)
Major - Belly gun (if present) cannot fire.  Starts 1 additional fire.
Disabled - Critical damage.

Weapons - as Imperial

Boiler
Minor - Starts d3 additional fires.
Major - Lose 5cm move.  Starts d3 additional fires.
Critical - Critical, modifier to damage roll.

Head
Minor - Gaze of Mork cannot be used.
Major - Gaze of Mork cannot be used.
Disabled - Head blown off.  All further weapons fire is -1 to hit.  Roll an additional point of damage.  Any further head damage is rerolled.

Fires - Fires could work as "negative repair rolls" (i.e. 4+ on a fire roll in the end phase causes damage) spawning random damage on the side/rear chart.  Fires can be put out as a repair roll.  Roll for potential fire damage before repairs in the end phase.

I think with the relatively high probability of hitting the body and the fact that many Gargants won't be disabled by minor body damage that it builds in extra durability when compared to the Imperials.  Also, the non-kill head critical slows it down.  If you add in feet as a "disabled" instead of critical damage that would boost it even more.  Something that would be strongly affected by body damage, like a Great Gargant potentially losing both auxiliary weapons and the belly gun, could be adjusted with armor saves, e.g. 3+RA for a Great Gargant body.  Supastompas can have 2-step, minor/disabled charts but you could potentially leave minor/major/disabled on the body damage.

===

I'll get back with the upgrade ideas once I get more caught up at work.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:12 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Some of these are similar to what you have, at least in concept.  Battle Honors from the experience system (note, these cover general WE upgrades, not just titans, and it's a straight copy/paste):
============

IMPERIAL

Crew Skills:
Damage Control (titan only) – +1 shield repaired in the end phase or during Marshall action [like Tech Adept]
Lucky – WE may reroll one die per battle (may be taken more than once)
Marksmanship - One weapon system causes critical hits on 5+ instead of 6 [like Moderati]
Accurate - One weapon system gets +1 to hit
Fast - +5 cm additional movement, WE may countercharge 10cm when assaulted regardless of base speed

Commander Skills:
Veteran Princeps (Titans)/Legend – WE gains Command ability
Damage Limitation – WE gains Invulnerable save
Lightning Reflexes – WE’s base attacks in assault (DC) gain First Strike
Tactical Genius – May reroll failed activation roll

War Engine Upgrades:
Heavy Armor (unavailable for scout titans) - +1 DC
Combat Head or Weapon Head (titan only, unavailable for scouts) – as AMTL list
Sacred Icon (titan only, unavailable for scouts) – titan gains Inspiring ability
Ejection Pods - Crew survives WE destruction on 2+
Turbo Weapon - One system gains Disrupt.
Extra Shielding (Shielded WEs only) - WE gains 2 additional shields
Improved Targeting system (scout titans Only) – upgrades one Scout weapon to Tactical weapon of similar type, e.g. from Light Turbolaser Destructor to Turbolaser Destructor.

ELDAR

Crew Skills:
Bonesingers (titan only) – May repair holo fields on 3+ in rally phase.
Lucky - WE may reroll one die per battle (may be taken more than once)
Pinpoint Gunnery - One weapon system causes critical hits on 5+ instead of 6
Fast - +5 cm additional movement, WE may countercharge 10cm when assaulted regardless of base speed
Hip Shooting – WE may double move and shoot without –1 penalty. [May fire at -1 during March move?]

Commander Skills:
Damage Limitation - WE gains Invulnerable save
Tactical Genius - May reroll failed activation roll
Seer Commander – WE gains Farsight ability
Agile – The War Engine gains +5cm move and may roll armor save against damage from dangerous terrain.

War Engine Upgrades:
Wraithgate - Crew survives WE destruction on 2+
Turbo Weapon - One system gains Disrupt.
Mandi-Blasters/Grenade Packs - WE gains Small Arms, Extra Attacks (+2)
War Cry/ Psychic Conduit - WE gains Inspiring ability
“Dathediâ€Â

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Based on Neal's suggestion I had a read through these. Haven't played anything so these comments are based on just reading through the rules

>> When using the Marshall Order, you are allowed to attempt repairs D6 times.

This strikes me as too random. Perhaps add a Repair stat to each Titan that gives the minimum number of repair attempts it can make. This allows you to give each race better or worse abilities to repair their titan and also allows crew upgrades, Mekboys or character upgrades etc that can help the Repair stat. Also allows in game abilities like Chaos weapons that hamper repair.

Close Combat seems a little generic. Is this going to change to allow Titans to attack with specific CC weapons? Currently a Warhound with no CC weapons is still quite effective in CC.

Further to Neal's comments about damage, perhaps the Size stat can be used to help modify damage? As well you may want to check out a game called .45 Adventure that has a very unique damage system that might work well with Neal's suggestions. Drop me a line if you need some samples.

How do you intend on balancing all the free weapons? If I kit out a Titan with nothing but free weapons it seems as if I am at a serious advantage.

For those people without a lot of different Titan variants and weapons it might be useful to create pre-filled roster sheets for the standard GW and FW Titans.

If you have a copy I'd also suggest adding some accessories and small upgrades for the Titans similar to the equipment list in Aeronautica Imperialis.

Looks like a good start to a Titan game though. Nice work. Just need to get some time to try it out now that I have a pile of Imperial Titans.

When is the Imperator getting a roster sheet :-)

Oh, and are you going to add Knights to the game or are the figs too rare to consider adding to a game?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My house of 50 odd knights that I was able to collect in just a few months last year, and their own epic army list might suggest that they are still a little bit alive :)

Post subject: Re: My Adeptus Titanicus Game.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'd love to read those rules... but the link is broken. Would it be possible to make this file available again ?

Thanks !

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Athmospheric wrote:
I'd love to read those rules... but the link is broken. Would it be possible to make this file available again ?

Thanks !

same here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'd upload it, but my web hosting just got cancelled, which isn't happymaking. :-/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:
I'd upload it, but my web hosting just got cancelled, which isn't happymaking. :-/

Special thanks to Evil and Chaos for sending me the file, so I can share with you people.

Try this link...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Huzzah !

Oh, and thank you :)