Login |  Register |  FAQ

2-3000 point SM Army vs Eldar

Post subject: 2-3000 point SM Army vs Eldar
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi,

I've been away from the game for a while but still have a load of old figures. Got talking to someone at work and it turns out he was into Epic a few years back too.

We've organised to have a game over the Xmas period to try and get back into it. We're obviously both going to be really rusty with the rules but i was looking for some advice on building up my army for the game. He will be playing as Eldar and i'm looking to be quite basic and go with Space Marines.

We decided to go with between 1k and 2k for the points value but after surveying my army cards  i realised you don't get much so i'm going to suggest we up it to between 2k and 3k.

It's been so long since i played i'm not sure of the merits of certain troops so any advice would be great.

I think i initially came up with the following for 2050 pts:

SM Battle Company - 850 pts
SM Land Raider Company - 600 pts
SM Land Speeder Squadron - 200 pts
SM Vindicator Squadron - 200 pts
SM Scythes of the Emperor - 200pts

The thing is i also have IG, Squat, Ork and my own Eldar so any suggestions for these would be good.

I know he has some Tempests so i fully expect to come up against a Tempest Host as well as a Warhost. Possibly some Exarchs too. And he was continuously going on about the Jet bike company card where you get loads of bikes really cheaply (can't remember the name) so i expect this will be included too!

Any ideas?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Which edition are you using? 2nd edition, NetEpic, 3rd edition or 4th edition (Epic Armeggeddon)?

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (The_Real_Chris @ Dec. 08 2009, 10:22 )

Which edition are you using? 2nd edition, NetEpic, 3rd edition or 4th edition (Epic Armeggeddon)?

It'll be 2nd Edition.
I drifted away from Epic in between Titan Legions and Epic 40k.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think you will need additional jump packs to destroy his falcons inCC
maybe in a thunderhawk
the landspeeders are not many enough, they get slaughtered by the jetbkes
Have you thought about a scout company in small battles it can do a differende

Since I am a fan of the vindicators I would take more
it has the only to-hit-value which is better than +5 in your army plus "ignores cover" but it depends on the terrain you will field

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (ulric @ Dec. 08 2009, 12:44 )

I think you will need additional jump packs to destroy his falcons inCC
maybe in a thunderhawk
the landspeeders are not many enough, they get slaughtered by the jetbkes
Have you thought about a scout company in small battles it can do a differende

Since I am a fan of the vindicators I would take more
it has the only to-hit-value which is better than +5 in your army plus "ignores cover" but it depends on the terrain you will field

I only have one squadron of Vindicator models.
I may be able to get enough assault stands to make an Assault Company.

I'm trying to make additions to my SM force and recently managed to get some Space Marine Legions boxes off eBay.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Managed to play this game over the Xmas period.
We ended up playing a 1k game as a tester to get used to the rules again. I fielded the battle company and vindicators.
The game ended up being quite close. I lost the Vindicators early on but the battle company detachments ensured i took 5 objectives fairly quickly. I got to within 1 point of breaking his Warhost which would have ensured a win. Next turn though i ended up losing an objective and stupidly got my assault detachment caught in close combat while they were still in their rhinos thus getting them annihalated.
This broke the battle company leaving him 1 point away from victory and i had broke his warhost and so was close to victory too.
I then remembered that the earlier lost vindicators gave him anoth 2 points so he won a close battle.

We played another game straight after with 2k each where i fielded all of the army listed in my first post. He had the Windrider host, an Avatar, some free Saim Hann Jet bikes, and a guardian detachment along with a warlock titan.
Things started well with me taking several objecties very quickly, installing my devastators in a tall building overlooking most of the battlefield and the Scythes of the Emporer charging forward well into his half to grab an objective in another tall building. Things started to fall apart quite quickly though as the amount of buildings on the table enabled him to get close very quickly with the jet bikes. My vindicators were despatched quickly in close combat and his titan started to barrage the devastators in their building taking several stands out. Wave serpents immobilised several of my land raiders and the command units although only one was lost. My army was picked off as a i tried to grab objectives. One highlight was i got a hit on the warlock titans head with one of the remaining devastator stands but then rolled a 2 on the damage chart. My dice rolling was consistently poor throughout the battle but also some tactical decisions were screwed up. The Scythes of the emperor were gunned down after i attempted to charge from the safety of their building to engage the wave serpents in close combat.....totally forgetting they are skimmers which meant they moved away and then left me in full view of loads of jet bikes.

I'm going to have to brush up on the rules because in the 2nd game i got totally annihilated. My assault marines were killed in a similar way because i thought they could pin his skimmers but the rules don't seem to indicate this.

Do you think the best tactic for next time would be to sit back and not rush forward too much, using the marines firepower to pick him off?
I'm thinking that next time i should be fielding mostly devastator and assault marines. My tactical marines were pretty redundant in both battles after capturing their objectives. I think i will actually invest in at least 1 titan for support next time as well!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: 

My assault marines were killed in a similar way because i thought they could pin his skimmers but the rules don't seem to indicate this.

we always played that they can pin falcons
but according to Netepic 5.0
Inf. and vehicles are from different pinning class

sorry if you lost the battle
because listening too much on me :shutup:
Quote: 

vindicators were despatched quickly in close combat

they are not easy to play because of their medium ranged main weapon
did you use them with CAF+2 or +0
we still play them with +2

I think in smaller games eldar are really hard to face
their wind rider host and wave sepents are powerfull units

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

How cool that you found a new friend/opponent to get back into Epic! Yeah!
I like Eldar v. Space Marine battles as they are fairly well balanced. Both sides have crushing firepower and maneuverability. He is faster than you but you are more numerous. If you can get a pair, I'd suggest adding a set of Warhounds to support your Marines. They pack a mean punch and are nearly as fast as his Revenants (if he has them) and sturdy enough to stand up to a Phantom Titan! They can also give you a little more range than your Land Raiders and Devastators which max at 75cm.