Login |  Register |  FAQ

Current status of Warhammer and WH40K

Post subject: Current status of Warhammer and WH40K
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

While I know that Grandma Wendy is a dirty word round these parts for some, I was wondering if any of you have played Warhammer or 40K recently?

Without going TOO deep into my age, its been a few years since I played either (infact I only played Warhammer about twice) but have fond memories of both. Went on Grandma's site for a look out of interest and while I support subtle changes in games to improve and balance them, both now seem very different beasts.

Warhammer. It was about formations, tight packed, and something different to the 40K Spacemarine mega armour type characters. Now it seems that the tight packed formations are gone, and a lot of the infantry mirror the 40K stuff - big body armour etc. The only difference being the swords don't have chainsaws!

40K. I remember playing this with small numbers of troops. A couple of squads, maybe a Rhino or Dread. But they seem to be moving towards fielding the numbers of troops that only use to get commanded by us 6mm types. I understand that this will have been done by Grandma to encourage the purchase of more units, but the rule set must have dramatically changed to compensate for the numbers of troops.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Current status of Warhammer and WH40K
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:56 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

40k is now about selling the big toys. I've not played the most recent iteration, but seeing it played at clubs and events the tables are now crammed (really, crammed) with tanks, walkers and aeroplanes.

WFB has just been totally overhauled (destroyed?) and is heading in a completely different direction. Just before that they were releasing lots of big monsters and mega-kits, now it's heading for narrative skirmish and literal beard-measuring.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I still have a huge half assembled, unpainted Space Wolf army for 40k. Only ever got about 10 games with it before they released 6th edition. By the time I had bought that and the new codex, 3 months later they had released 7th edition. Now I think - "I have so many different games and projects to do - why should I pay another £50 for that rulebook when it could made obsolete at any moment?"

Personal & Wargaming Blog: http://www.theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk

EPIC WIP: Grey Knights, Space Wolves, Eldar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

yeah we continued to play RT (with the compendium add-ons) for years and years afterwards up to almost 4th edition times. New model out and we wanted to use it? No problem, back port it and come up with a crazy scenario where it made sense to be used. I cannot believe the amount of book churn the 40k crowd has bought into. Spending a few hundred dollars a year on dataslates, codices, and whatever for this nebulous "current"? No thanks.

As to the OP state of WHFB: It's dead, Jim. Completely utterly dead. The game is gone from the GW perspective. A new game, AoS has started, that basically can use the same models but it's not 9th edition. This may or may not be a good thing, after all, the game basically becomes stable at that point an frankly, high fantasy models are not hard to come by.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I haven't played 40K since 3rd edition, and only played that a few times. We held onto 2nd edition a bit, though I can probably accept that 3rd was a better game (in the same way that 3rd edition Epic was a better game than SM/TL in my opinion).

Warhammer I always liked, 4th and 5th edition. I did find it very easy to win though. Perhaps Undead and High Elves (to a lesser extent) were overpowered. I think it was 5th edition when I stopped playing, after they replaced Undead with Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings armies and I lost interest. I'm not sure I'd describe Warhammer as being about formations and blocks of troops though. It seemed much more about ridiculously powerful characters, magic, and dragons. I still remember the Curse of Years spell, I loved that one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

By formations I meant if you had 30 archers, they were in either one line or 2 rows of 15, 3 rows of ten etc? Or am I wrong and time has addled my brain!?

With WH40K what staggered me was the cost. I had a space wolf army which I bought with pocket money back in the very early 90's (I cant remember what edition it was) and expanded it with pocket money for a few years. But now, even starter kits are very expensive!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

For me - if I really love a game system, I don't mind buying into it - and GW's plastics are unequalled; apart from some duff ones I think their kits are by and large beautiful and realy inspiring.

For 40k though, The Rulebook / Codex / Dataslate / Formation changes are super bewildering and expensive to me. You get formations which are official rules and let you get special abilities but only if you bought some super limited web bundle. I know they need to sell models but I find it really hard to keep track of as someone who wants to just appear and play with their models.

Personal & Wargaming Blog: http://www.theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk

EPIC WIP: Grey Knights, Space Wolves, Eldar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yup, it really is getting to the point where it isn't sustainable to play if you are only an occasional player.

I want to play a game regularly, but since lately I haven't gotten a game in more than once a month, I just couldn't keep up with Warhammer. I don't think I'll stick with Age of Sigmar, since it doesn't have ranks or flanks anymore, and it is just a skirmish game. However I'll give it a try because i try not to prejudge a game without playing a couple of games first.

40k on the other hand I left a long time ago. I just felt I couldn't afford to keep playing, and I wasn't really enjoying the game. I didn't feel like there was all that much strategy, and my army of Imperial Guard Infantry was becoming increasingly unwieldily and unfun to play.

www.youtube.com/user/ManticMoments

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:21 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've been playing a bit of the newest edition of Warhammer Age of Sigmar, and it's pretty damned good. With the new Horus Heresy boxed set rumored to be released, I'm hoping it gets the same treatment as Warhammer did. That would be fairly awesome.

I used to play quite a bit of both (Fantasy and 40K) about 10 years ago, but I gave it up for Warmachine. I don't play Warmachine anymore now, so I guess it's coming back full circle.

Tau Empire, Mymeara Eldar, Tallarn Desert Raiders

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:43 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

splash wrote:
I've been playing a bit of the newest edition of Warhammer Age of Sigmar, and it's pretty damned good. With the new Horus Heresy boxed set rumored to be released, I'm hoping it gets the same treatment as Warhammer did. That would be fairly awesome.

I used to play quite a bit of both (Fantasy and 40K) about 10 years ago, but I gave it up for Warmachine. I don't play Warmachine anymore now, so I guess it's coming back full circle.

I'm just getting into warmahordes myself, curious why you gave it up/stopped playing.... it seems like a really solid ruleset and has a great range of minis

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

For my own part I left Warmahordes as a tournament game because there was too many special rules to keep up to date with. Mind you, this was Mk1, cannot speak for Mk2.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've heard this is a problem for Warmachine, but I wonder how it compares to the rules glut in Warhammer and 40k.

I stopped playing 40k for specifically that reason. There were too many rules to keep track of. Warmachine sounds great, but if I've shied away from it specifically because I don't want to have to know a bunch of rules for each army.

I know people bemoan games like Kings of War, but honestly I think I'd rather be playing something like that that I don't need to study, but i can just play after a couple of practice games.

www.youtube.com/user/ManticMoments

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:
splash wrote:

I'm just getting into warmahordes myself, curious why you gave it up/stopped playing.... it seems like a really solid ruleset and has a great range of minis

The rules are good, but too one-trick-ponyish. The miniatures are hit and miss. The price is just as bad as other systems. But none of those things matter if the game was fun. And it was, for a while. It stopped being fun for me. That's why I turned my back on it and continue to do so.

Tau Empire, Mymeara Eldar, Tallarn Desert Raiders

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:41 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I've see one game of AoS locally, and that was this existing WFB armies. It definitely hasn't taken off here, 40k and Hor-machine are still the top of the pile. I haven't played either, but picked up Wrath of Kings this past March. That's been a fun distraction from EA and WM.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Age of Sigmar just looks like W40K but with less space craft and guns. Even some of the minis look like Space Marines!

There are some interesting looking new games coming out/on the market (I especially like the look of Star Wars Armada)but I agree with some of the earlier comments about time V cost. I already have everything I need to play Epic, but only get a few games a year. So investing in another system would mean more unpainted and not used mini's in my games room.