Login |  Register |  FAQ

8th Edition Coming Out this July

Post subject: 8th Edition Coming Out this July
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

The most solid rumors I've heard are that the second rank will now get to fight if the entire first rank is killed off (my Chaos Warriors with two hand weapons have frowny faces at this), and that the starter set will be High Elves vs. Skaven.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 8th Edition Coming Out this July
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Last I heard, all movement is going to be "basic movement stat, plus D6".

In other words, it's going to turn into Snakes-N-Ladders.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Warseer has been so completely inundated with rumors that I finally just left it alone for a while. Pretty much every rumor I've heard sounds pretty iffy except for making Core more important by either increasing Core requirements or making infantry blocks the only units capable of capturing objectives.

A lot of the rumors seem either to be ridiculous, or to at least require other changes with in the game, so I'm trying to give GW the benefit of the doubt.

I'm kind of worried about how 8th is going to turn out, which is part of why I'm toying with starting a small 40k army. Plus the starter set will likely be two armies I don't want and apparently the rulebook is now going to be huge and even more crazy expensive...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm not even going to bother to paint more Skaven till I see 8th edition.. rumours such as percentage based armies are everywhere

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The only rumours I'm actually taking seriously at this point are that the second rank will get to fight (only if the guy in front is killed, and only 1 attack regardless of profile/equipment etc apparently) and that archers (not missile troops in general) get to shoot in two ranks. These are both from very reliable sources. Everything else I'm taking with a pinch of salt, though the 'percentages' thing has me worried.

I haven't heard anything even vaguely credible about changes to movement apart from that heavy cavalry may not be able to march any more.

And the starter set is definitely HE and skaven. Apparently with a plastic griffon.

Last edited by The Red Sorcerer on Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:29 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

The Red Sorcerer wrote:
And the starter set is definitely HE and skaven. Apparently with a plastic griffon.

Oooh. I may have to buy a couple starter sets, then. I have probably 1200 points in Aspect Warriors and Warlocks Asurian elites and wizards but not enough core.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In that case you'll probably be pleased to hear that the starter set apparently includes new spearelf models. At least if, like me, you think the current ones are a steaming pile of horsepoop.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I am relatively confident that the new edition should be a fairly possitive direction for the game.

Every new GW rules release in the last couple of years has been plagued with "dread" rumours on most of the forums I frequent. Generally for several weeks after the release all sorts of concerns about what has been done wrong or badly balanced get discussed as well. Generally however I don't think they have made any changes to the rules that have "ruined" any of the core game systems or stopped them from being fun in recent years. Locally we pretty much just use whatever rule books we have with 40K players using outdated codexes from two editions ago and still having fun against players with new books. WHFB hasn't had quite the same number of armybook turn arounds but still lots of the outdated lists are still relatively competative against the more recent versions.

If the new army box does indead contain the rumoured contents I will be mighty pleased as I am a Skaven player. For some reason I thought they were back to O&G and Empire which would have also been good as both lots of models would have been useful whereas I am not likely to ever use any HE.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
WHFB hasn't had quite the same number of armybook turn arounds...

It has however had most of its tactical complexity stripped away over the course of 7th edition, to be replaced with what Zombocom calls "Chargehammer".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The 7th edition rule book is actually very good. The core rules are complex and tactical, if a little cluttered.

Unfortunately the 7th edition army books have ramped up the power of everything to such an extent that all of that subtlety is lost. and it becomes "whoever charges wins".

At the start of 7th, with the 6th ed books WHFB was a great game. Over the last three or four years they've completely ruined it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Having just started playing WHFB for the first time since 3rd, I'm somewhat holding my breath. Its Not so much the mechanics changes that worry me - I'm an extremely laid back gamer as long as my regiments continue to gain character on the table and dont play seriously enough to worry about that - but the army organisation changes worry me.

Since January I've been organising and started collecting & franticly painting 10,000points of O&G regiments. No characters in that, so probably 13K+ overall with the aim of having it all done within the year. Every regiment has a printed index card with a combat record on the back so I can track regiments & characters and they'll build real character even within such a large force. Just re-organising that would do me head in!! :os

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
7th edition army books have ramped up the power of everything to such an extent that all of that subtlety is lost

I don't think its that bad personally. Its still the same basic ruleset after all. Of the 7th Edition books, Empire, O&G, Warriors and Beasts all seem fine, as do HE after the furore over ASF died down. Haven't experienced the Lizards, but as far as I can see the only real thing people get annoyed by is Stegadon spam. Dark Elves and Skaven are OK as well apart from a sprinkling of overpowered/undercosted choices (Hydra, Hell Pit Abomination).

Demons and Vampire Counts are pretty brutal though, particularly Demons. :(
Quote:
it becomes "whoever charges wins".

I don't see this personally. OK, certain units/armies have become more nasty on the charge - but this is largely counterbalanced by the spread of ASF units/upgrades and stubborn. Its certainly not as simple as 'get the charge, win the combat'. And getting the charge has always been hugely influential in Warhammer, its what makes the movement phase so important.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
Haven't experienced the Lizards, but as far as I can see the only real thing people get annoyed by is Stegadon spam.

After the Lizards book was released, my win/loss ratio went from 50/50ish to 95/5 overnight.
I didn't even change my army list all that much, just added some extra stuff to reach 2000pts as several units went down in cost, or went up in abilities for free.

Quote:
And getting the charge has always been hugely influential in Warhammer, its what makes the movement phase so important.

Except by the end of 7th edition you no longer needed to charge units in the flank or rear to gain easy wins in combat, now all you need to do is take a tooled-up unit with a tooled-up character and charge anything you like in the front and just win easily.
That's "Chargehammer".

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

We'll see. I'm cautiously optimistic. Many of the rumours seem really naff on their own, but require reading together to make sense.

For example, making charge M+D6" sounds terrible. Awful! But... rumour has it, that command groups will allow you to reroll the D6 or at 1 to the roll, so a respectable distance is highly likely for most unit. Charging will be less impacting on the game, units will strike at initiative regardless of who charges, and the charging unit will simply receive +1CR. Units will fight in two (or more!) ranks and casualties probably won't mean less attacks as they're removed from the rear ranks. All together charging will still have an effect, particularly for units like cavalry, which are rumoured to be M + 3D6-pick-the-2-highest, but the importance will be much reduced. While this may seem like a dumbing down of the most critical phase of the game and who gets to charge, it means that it is much more about which units fight which units and not so much who gets the charge.

In any case, I welcome 8th. There are some rumours I really don't like, others I love but 7th had gotten very stale - it didn't solve any of the serious problems with 6th even before we look at the progression of recent armybooks - and a serious shake up was needed to breathe life into the game.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well I actually played a game of 8th edition and have to say it was ok. I didn't play much 7th but at 1500 with no lords the game played ok, if my dwarves did get run over really easily!

Anyone else given it a run out yet?