Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1527 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 102  Next

Plastic Infantry & transports sprue, crowdfunding.

Post subject: Re: Plastic Infantry & transports sprue, crowdfunding.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:03 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Have to agree with GlynG - all good suggestions - though i'd anticipated there may be manufacturings efficiencies in keeping it simple. Hope you can achieve some of them.

Still trying to tempt my former ork playing friend to take up Bork - his old army got virus bombed (ebayed) a few years before we started playing again.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Since I did not bring it up - suggestions for the potato... Alien vehicle.

Make the tracks less flat and low-looking. You have a very good design shapewize on the beast. Simplify and debiggify that. Important: track must be noticeably higher at front then at rear. To make it look considerably faster - consider adding a set of wheelz- making it a half track.

Ruggify it. Right now everything looks very nice and neat. Add stuff that does not line up vertically, like irregular plating to the sides of the cargo hold, protruding above the tracks.

Desymmetrify the cockpit. Symmetry makes it look human. I think it is better to have the base model look borkish without fiddling with plasticard.

I don't know if any of the above is possible, and considering the vast amount of minis you are churning out I suspect it is a stretch at best to hope for it. But I do think that the plastics should be given priority at this stage. That is what is unique with this whole project.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Some thoughts:

Is there any way you can add a hull based gun to the front of the plastic APC? For those wanting to use the models for Epic, a 'Heavy Bolter' at the front is quite important.

On the Marksman Anti aircraft tank the row of 4 guns looks a little flat. I can see that there is a slight curve to them. Would they look better if they were less flat, and closer to parallel with each other? Something like this: --> / \

The Laser and Howitzer look great on the Alien Trukks, as the rear is a natural place for the weapon to go. Their places on the beast however looks very strange; they look a bit 'bolted on'. Is there anywhere else they could be placed, or even better allow the vehicle to use different placements to give customers variety and options? The beast itself looks great!

Edit: The Beast: where are the guns???

The Rifle on the new alien looks very big. With only two included on the sprue, it looks designed to be a heavy weapon. Could the barrel on the front of the weapon be lengthened? As it is, it looks more like oversized rifle than heavy weapon.

I'd also add +1 to making the leaders claw bigger, and ideally mirroring the pose that was mentioned above. Thanks for explaining the other limitations though; the repeated pose is now much more understandable and, while not ideal, acceptable.

Keep up the good work Ben. And remember that while we may have limiting budgets now, we will want to buy more of these sets later in the year to expand our new armies. I'm already working on my Christmas list! With so many sets dependent on the plastic sprue, anything that can possibly be done to improve it at this stage is an investment for the (hopefully far reaching) future.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Easiest thing on the cockpit would be to make one of the windows bigger and add some extra plate under the window and you'd look plenty of asymmetric

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

With a set goal, the honeypot broke through 5000£. I think it would go higher if we get to see the ultimate version for the humans. I know there are other 6mm humans but consider how several people are paying for create a human leader than an alien one, go for the money maker!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nitpick wrote:
Important: track must be noticeably higher at front then at rear.

That's actually a rather difficult thing to do in plastic. Either you have to flow the mould line (expensive) or tilt the entire vehicle forwards by 10 degrees inside the mould (which makes the design restrictions on the cab even more accute).

Quote:
Ruggify it. Right now everything looks very nice and neat. Add stuff that does not line up vertically, like irregular plating to the sides of the cargo hold, protruding above the tracks.

Desymmetrify the cockpit. Symmetry makes it look human.

And if all of the Alien vehiicles looked random/assymetric in exactly the same way?
My preference is for rugged and brutal looking, with a certain amount of assymetry (the offset exhausts, for example), but "randomness" that looks exactly the same on every vehicle...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I agree. manufactured randomness will look more jaring than not. it's easy enough to patch a few plates of our own on places to modify them

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Chivs wrote:
Some thoughts:

Is there any way you can add a hull based gun to the front of the plastic APC? For those wanting to use the models for Epic, a 'Heavy Bolter' at the front is quite important.

I'd need a real world example of a vehicle with a hull mounted heavy gun in that position to draw from.

Quote:
On the Marksman Anti aircraft tank the row of 4 guns looks a little flat. I can see that there is a slight curve to them. Would they look better if they were less flat, and closer to parallel with each other? Something like this: --> / \

Wouldn't cast in one piece I'm afraid, that configuration would require 4 metal components per vehicle instead of 2. Not a particularly affordable solution at the currently-planned price level.

Quote:
The Laser and Howitzer look great on the Alien Trukks, as the rear is a natural place for the weapon to go. Their places on the beast however looks very strange; they look a bit 'bolted on'. Is there anywhere else they could be placed, or even better allow the vehicle to use different placements to give customers variety and options? The beast itself looks great!

Quote:

Smaller guns?
Well it's been designed to be compatible with the plastic cannons. And I'll be looking to producing a sprue of Aliens posed firing medium guns too, which can be added as decorative elements to vehicles.

Quote:
The Rifle on the new alien looks very big. With only two included on the sprue, it looks designed to be a heavy weapon. Could the barrel on the front of the weapon be lengthened? As it is, it looks more like oversized rifle than heavy weapon.

It's already huge compared to real life weapons. Much bigger and it'll be approaching the size of the plastic cannon.

Quote:
I'd also add +1 to making the leaders claw bigger, and ideally mirroring the pose that was mentioned above.

That'll be happening.

Quote:
Keep up the good work Ben. And remember that while we may have limiting budgets now, we will want to buy more of these sets later in the year to expand our new armies. I'm already working on my Christmas list! With so many sets dependent on the plastic sprue, anything that can possibly be done to improve it at this stage is an investment for the (hopefully far reaching) future.

Well, I can't simply magic extra money out of the air to upgrade the sprues!

I'd love to have every single model on the sprues be a different sculpt and produce the most amazing plastic sprue ever seen, but it'd cost fifteen thousand pounds to do it, ha ha. Fancy donating a few thousand to upgrade the sprue, hey? :-p

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:
Chivs wrote:
Some thoughts:

I'd second that.
Evil and Chaos wrote:
I'd need a real world example of a vehicle with a hull mounted heavy gun in that position to draw from.

How about this?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

More examples please. :-)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:
Nitpick wrote:
Important: track must be noticeably higher at front then at rear.

That's actually a rather difficult thing to do in plastic. Either you have to flow the mould line (expensive) or tilt the entire vehicle forwards by 10 degrees inside the mould (which makes the design restrictions on the cab even more accute).

Quote:

Desymmetrify the cockpit. Symmetry makes it look human.

And if all of the Alien vehiicles looked random/assymetric in exactly the same way?
My preference is for rugged and brutal looking, with a certain amount of assymetry (the offset exhausts, for example), but "randomness" that looks exactly the same on every vehicle...

Well, if it must look just like this, then it must. Probably not a show stopper. I think it works well as a gun carriage.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:
More examples please. :-)

As you wish.

Stuart M2. Please don't use this for inspiration, it's only submitted as evidence of real-life hull mounted MGs!

T-28

Crusader Mk 1

M27

Last edited by SpeakerToMachines on Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm rather partial to the M3

EDIT:

also, only 15,000 quid? hmmm. We'd only have to find another 335 backers, that's surprisingly doable >:D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:
Chivs wrote:

Wouldn't cast in one piece I'm afraid, that configuration would require 4 metal components per vehicle instead of 2. Not a particularly affordable solution at the currently-planned price level.

Fair enough.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Smaller guns?
Well it's been designed to be compatible with the plastic cannons. And I'll be looking to producing a sprue of Aliens posed firing medium guns too, which can be added as decorative elements to vehicles.

Yeah I did mean smaller guns - machine gun sized weapons. The extra sprue sounds like that'll fill the role :)

Quote:
Quote:

It's already huge compared to real life weapons. Much bigger and it'll be approaching the size of the plastic cannon.

I think that's part of the issue. It looks like an ordinary rifle that's been scaled up, rather than a heavy weapon. More "Big" shoota than "big Shoota". Maybe it's just me though.

Quote:
Quote:
I'd also add +1 to making the leaders claw bigger, and ideally mirroring the pose that was mentioned above.

That'll be happening.

Excellent!

Quote:
Quote:

Well, I can't simply magic extra money out of the air to upgrade the sprues!

I'd love to have every single model on the sprues be a different sculpt and produce the most amazing plastic sprue ever seen, but it'd cost fifteen thousand pounds to do it, ha ha. Fancy donating a few thousand to upgrade the sprue, hey? :-p

I wish dude. Just a little outside of my budget. :-p Though that would make a couple of awesomely sized armies!

Quote:
Evil and Chaos wrote:
Chivs wrote:
Some thoughts:

The Panzer IV:

Wikipedia Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_IV
Image : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PzIV. ... 0a5s6s.jpg

These are the ones found in the early Call of Duty games. Anyone who's played them remembers the hull mounted machine guns!

Thanks for the responses. It is just fussiness and personal preferences, and my thoughts may be in polar opposition to other customers or your own, but maybe not. The models do look great, and I look forward to seeing more and more in the future. Back it up with the best ruleset ever devised!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

M27 mount looks good. I'll see what I can do, it won't be able to be a large gun due to the limitations of plastic.

Quote:
Back it up with the best ruleset ever devised!

Should be able to put that up for preview tomorrow!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1527 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 102  Next