Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 146  Next

Troublemaker Games 6mm Range

Post subject: Re: Troublemaker Games 6mm Range
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:57 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

For possible themes I see

Gothic
Industrial
Modernistic residential
Hi tech futurist
Ramshackle semi-ruins
Overtly military if you can figure out how to depict that on flat panels.
Alien of some sort (more than one if you can come up with multiple workable themes)
Art Deco
Maaaaybe something very abstract and techno. Like you might see in Tron. Such a thing would probably require some work from the end user to rationalize, but it would be unique and very different and might cross over into larger scale games too.

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:52 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

gothic works for me

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think some proportion of Gothic is a necessary evil.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice concept, i could be interested, particularly in gothic. Double sided is a nice touch, but even so i wouldn't go with too many themes. One theme with plenty of variety would be more attractive imho.

Note of caution : Bear in mind AT is rumoured to be coming with plastic terrain sprues of a very similar style. The FW demo had card cut outs which were apparently prints of the plastic designs blown up to 28mm.

Also, i understand that these are concept designs. I'd be happy to help making the design more believably gothic if you like?

Posted using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:58 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Blip wrote:

Note of caution : Bear in mind AT is rumoured to be coming with plastic terrain sprues of a very similar style. The FW demo had card cut outs which were apparently prints of the plastic designs blown up to 28mm.

Who wants to take a guess at the price Forgeworld are going to charge for their buildings? :)

This is also why I'd like to offer variety - eg: The industrial style panel. I could see a lot of demand for a sprue of four different designs of industrial panels, with no overlap with other designs out there.

Blip wrote:
Also, i understand that these are concept designs. I'd be happy to help making the design more believably gothic if you like?

Please do. I may have to modify suggested designs to work with the plastics production process.

Im refining my plan, the initial "mixed" sprue might best be done as 2x Gothic (1 door, 1 windows) and 2x industrial panels.

Due to the way the tooling works with interchangeable cores, the first stretch goal could be a "gothic theme" sprue that re-uses the first two gothic panels on one side, and adds two new gothic panels on the other side. The second stretch goal could do the same for the industrial theme.

Later stretch goals can then "upgrade" the gothic and industrial sets to have four unique designs (no shared sculpts with the initial "mixed" sprue).

And also in the mix, ramshakle semi-ruins ("Skinners theme") would be a priority.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:31 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Evil and Chaos wrote:
And also in the mix, ramshakle semi-ruins ("Skinners theme") would be a priority.

Now we're talking :) Not that the other designs aren't great and perhaps necessary, but as others have said there's other options for those already too.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yay! Will definitely support this if it goes in the right direction!

ForgottenLore wrote:

Please don't default to a gothic style. Done. To. Death.

Yes. And then some. No point archs. Please. No, really.

ForgottenLore wrote:

If you can design (at least) one panel in each quartet that can be cut or snapped into smaller segments, that would be amazing.

Excellent suggestion!
ForgottenLore wrote:
If you could make them slightly larger than "normal" 6mm scale you might future proof them against the rumored 8mm Titanicus reboot and might draw in some Dropzone Commander 10mm scale guys.

Do not overdo this. While a slight embiggenment is good (many 6mm buildings were too tiny anyway), don't do 10mm stuff. I would actually advice you to post pics of your proposed designs next to existing alternatives in plastics or resin so as to give your customers a good feel for what they are getting into.

ForgottenLore wrote:
As a possible stretch goal, do an additional sprue in each theme with "accessories". This is where buttresses would go. Ventilation systems. Street lights, fuel tanks, oil pumps, pipelines, skyways, etc...

As a stretch goal, or part of a base set if you can swing it, could you do an "adaptor" for connecting the walls in concave corners so there isn't a gap.

If all of that was implemented, I would easily drop a couple hundred dollars on the project.

All very good suggestions. Avoid the GW designs of thousands of pointless things stacked on top of each other. Would only look stupid, as so many others have rightly pointed out already. Accessories is a far better way of doing it.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:21 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A note on "accessories": I'd probably do those in metal as they'd generally be quite small/light, and I'm not sure if they'd garner enough sales to be done in plastic. If they unexpectedly sold a very large amount, I could upgrade them to plastic, but it would surprise me if they sold enough.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

By the way, the pics I've seen so far are of single squared block shaped buildings, would it be possible to use this kit to make buildings that are longer and/or wider, and would that still work with the roofs, or would some additional conversion work be needed to make that doable?

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/bitsblitz

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

malika2 wrote:
By the way, the pics I've seen so far are of single squared block shaped buildings, would it be possible to use this kit to make buildings that are longer and/or wider, and would that still work with the roofs, or would some additional conversion work be needed to make that doable?

They're designed to tessellate, so no conversion is required to make the attached, for example.

Even larger buidlings should likewise be no problem, it's designed as a modular system that could make skyscrapers if you wanted it to.

Attachments:
b12.jpg
b12.jpg [ 121.66 KiB | Viewed 4271 times ]
b11.jpg
b11.jpg [ 145.55 KiB | Viewed 4271 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This is exactly what the world needs right now! Or at least me, forget about the world :D . On Windows. Please make them cut out so we don't have to paint them.

Oh, and if you absolutely must feed the monks with yet more churchy stuff, please let the rest of us have at least one non-gothoid option of industrial appeal.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, I'd rather have filled in windows. Having them cut out makes the model look cheesy and breaks the illusion of scale, IMO. But it isn't a big issue for me.

Really cannot stress enough that you shouldn't do mixed sprues. Best case with a mixed sprue is endless repeating patterns on all of the buildings because each style only has a single tile. Start with 1 or 2 styles, each with 4 tiles and go from there.

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ForgottenLore wrote:
Well, I'd rather have filled in windows. Having them cut out makes the model look cheesy and breaks the illusion of scale, IMO. But it isn't a big issue for me.

Really cannot stress enough that you shouldn't do mixed sprues. Best case with a mixed sprue is endless repeating patterns on all of the buildings because each style only has a single tile. Start with 1 or 2 styles, each with 4 tiles and go from there.

Have you tried painting the gazillion windows that will be the effect of this? I have. But I might have been a bit vague. If you do cut through windows, those who want to could glue a sheet of semi translucent plastic whatever on the inside and create all sorts of nice effects in notime. I'm thinking lighting even. I Iike cheese. Smelly tasty french cheese, that is. Not the boring cheddar kind.

Skickat från min Nexus 5X via Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The plastic there is pretty thin, should cut through easily if you wanted to. You'd want to put a half height floor in as well I guess?

I think the only mixed sprue will be the first one that sets up the base costs, follow-on stretch goals should be single theme I agree.

Maybe industrial style as the first stretch goal?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

OK. So. Where to start. I am lazy. But I do like nice results. A bit of a problem. Especially when I am confronted with a gothique buildning sprue with more tiny windows than I ever care to count and that needs to be painted in order NOT to look "cheesy" (see above). The tasteless bland cheddar kind of cheesy.

This does not. I repeat. Not mean that I am the slightest bit interested in laboriously cutting each and everyone of those tiny windows open with a hobbyknife. Seeing as you are now pondering plastics, I thought the first thing would be to actually have windows. Nice windows. Without having to paint each and every one of them. Or, heaven forbid, cutting them open.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 146  Next