Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next

Missing Threads

Post subject: Re: Missing Threads
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Interesting reading! IP-people are a funny lot. So much text and so little actual content. I found this particularly amusing: "...Secondly, providing a system for playing the game on the internet effectively means that you could play the game without having ever bought it originally, which therefore devalues Games Workshop products as outlined above."

Devalue? Really? How would this work, exactly? In addition to being an absurd statement seeing as they have done this themselves repeatedly, this goes counter to most other game companies at the moment, just look at the booming pad-boardgame market. Seems that GW acquired a critical mass of IP-trolls that, under well known organizational theories, self replicate to the point that they are now actually becoming harmful to the long term viability of the company.

Having just gotten a friend to paint up an eldar army, I am not really keen on fueling this flame, and I hope that things will return to "normal".

*edit: This was quite funny as well: "...Nor must you exclusively paint Games Workshop's miniatures." First: why would you? Second: If anyone would - how would that be a bad thing for GW? Third: how on earth (or any other IP-plagued fictive universe) would they enforce that? Brilliant.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

adam77 wrote:
If I was a GW lawyer I would use it as an opportunity to exploit the general lack of understanding of IP law.

Reading about the Chapter House case I get the impression that that's exactly what it is.

I'd take it not as "this is what you can legally do", but rather as "this is what you can do without us trying to sue you".

I don't GW is the big bad for cracking down to protect their IP. That's pretty much what the law requires them to do if they want to keep it. I do think they stretch their rights quite a bit (as in the above example), but that doesn't really apply here. When it comes to Epic I'm mostly sad that GW is burying the game - not doing anything with it. It would be awesome if they licensed it out like they do all the other spinoff games, but I can see the business logic of not letting anybody else make 40k minis.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Is that case still working its way through the courts then?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:36 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

*Tongue in cheek*
We're going about this the wrong way...

Back in the day, GW got away with 'plagiarizing' others work. They did this by dedicating their rules to others.

From the 2nd edition Warhammer rules:
Quote:
"Dedicated to
Phil Barker, Donald Featherstone and Michael Moorcock
whose fault it all is"
At least they were honest enough to dedicate their work to the ones they were being inspired by (copying) back then.

*Tongue in cheek*

Anyway, I hate this stuff. It really annoys me.
Of course I understand a companys need to protect itself but in my mind, GW should either put up (support the game 100%) or shut up (and let the community support the game).
I'll keep playing Epic (as it is just about the best rules system I know) and so will the 20 or so new local players we have enlightened over the last few years. Right now though, it just doesn't seem as fun to me...

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE
Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mephiston wrote:

Latest case developments discussed here:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... ent-called

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mephiston wrote:

Had a quick look over at dakkadakka.com. Seems both sides have asked for a judgement and have denied any settlement, so this could get settled in the not too far future.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Both sides have asked for judgement several times before, IIRC.
The case has legs yet, IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

bmans5 wrote:
All in all I get it, I just don't like it....and no, as someone said I am not doing the Chicken Little the sky is falling, I just am upset cause now I can't finish some of my armies the way I wanted too....

Oh that was me :) and to note, I am totally right in the same situation myself to the point that that I'm very likely dropping my plans for any new marines because just like you, I can't probably finish them the way I want. That's a bad thing as it means less paints, brushes, bitz, transfers, and even full biggerized kits purchased to scratch build with from my local GW store. However, I did point out one very possible avenue of progress that is IP friendly, provided the community wants to support it, that might be a good enough solution. OTOH, if you're playing evil communist aliens and green brutes you're a little more screwed. Worse case I myself can always go back to BFG full time which has a plethora of fantastic 3rd party stuff to get my fix, not everyone is so able (another awesome move there GW driving even more $ to other companies).

Evil and Chaos wrote:
I've recently been considering a possible 10mm generic scifi game using the epic game engine.
We're currently cutting steel on a plastic injection bases mould for troublemaker games' Timeline 300 which are similar to the epic style bases but bigger and those could be re used.

Funny, just last week I've was thinking it was odd that a group of people over at TacCom hadn't decided to create a game that had de facto comparable mechanics. I just hope that said generic scifi game also comes with awesome SciFi models as well as for me and my peeps here SteamPunk is not really our shtick. Now that I think of it, isn't DZC 10mm too?

Oh and tangentially, I saw today that Spartan Games just wandered into the 28mm heroic scene. Hrrmmm considering their prodigious output this might be interesting times indeed...

Edit: OH LOOKSIES AT THIS. Spartan Games also decided to get into a 10mm scifi game as well. NEAT.
http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=23746

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Last edited by jimmyzimms on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

GW just sucks. Maybe we should get organized or something. There's a ton of people on this board, I bet more could be recruited elsewhere (other boards), to tell GW to get lost.

After all we're dealing with a system they aren't supporting any more, no one is going public with it or advertising it, and no one is getting rich from all of this.

Hell if it wasn't for some things from here I wouldn't even have bought GW's E:A Chaos boxes....

about trading:

a) how are you (CS) going to control this? Or are you already able to read my PMs? ;)
b) you are aware that trading openly will result in ebay-ish situations with bidding and out-bidding?

regards,

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

mspaetauf wrote:
Hi!

GW just sucks. Maybe we should get organized or something. There's a ton of people on this board, I bet more could be recruited elsewhere (other boards), to tell GW to get lost.

After all we're dealing with a system they aren't supporting any more, no one is going public with it or advertising it, and no one is getting rich from all of this.

Hell if it wasn't for some things from here I wouldn't even have bought GW's E:A Chaos boxes....

about trading:

a) how are you (CS) going to control this? Or are you already able to read my PMs? ;)
b) you are aware that trading openly will result in ebay-ish situations with bidding and out-bidding?

regards,

This form of justice makes no sense to some, I personally loved what was going on, when you guys read/watch Robin Hood to you root for the Sheriff of Nottingham? Hell no.

I'm a long time Battle Tech fan, and they have had issues with Harmony Gold license for awhile, and it involves IP that has LONG been dead. Companies certainly are not out to make you happy, they are out to make money, and GW does not have to foresight to see they could strike deals that would allow small bushiness to use their IP for a dead product (epic, BFG) and in turn receive a large cut as well as a "happy" fan base that will be willing to throw more money at them.

GW has made a name for itself in the last ten years as a mindless ruthless machine, and it has lost them a huge amount of business. With new miniature companies popping up every day (with their finger on the pulse of the fanbase, just look at infinity, they actually listen to the fans) they are in serious need of a re-imaging. Most of my close friends have cut all ties with GW for this reason, epic was the last game for me, but with the crackdown, I think it might be time to fully turn my back on GW. They won't be missed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ah well, I suppose it had to end some time..

I just hope all the sculpting talent doesn't disappear following this, shame it doesn't look like I can complete my Epic projects now, but maybe it's a chance for the forum to have a bash at their own universe to play sci fi in, or get more behind Exodus Wars. Given the amount of energy that's put into adding the random and ill-fitting new units from 40k into Epic, it could be, well Epic.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:47 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

TheDean wrote:
I'm a long time Battle Tech fan, and they have had issues with Harmony Gold license for awhile, and it involves IP that has LONG been dead.

As a HUGE Macross collector* I hate HG with a passion. However, that is a different situation. I will respond to a few posts here shortly.

* Seriously - 7x VF-1, 1x VF-0, 2x SV-51, 2x Koenig, 2x YF-19, 2x VF-25...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
Funny, just last week I've was thinking it was odd that a group of people over at TacCom hadn't decided to create a game that had de facto comparable mechanics. I just hope that said generic scifi game also comes with awesome SciFi models as well as for me and my peeps here SteamPunk is not really our shtick. Now that I think of it, isn't DZC 10mm too?

Oh and tangentially, I saw today that Spartan Games just wandered into the 28mm heroic scene. Hrrmmm considering their prodigious output this might be interesting times indeed...

Check out Hena's game - 6mm with familiar rules, setting is fantasy races with modern day tech*.

*or variations thereof - Ork vehicles are built to make Hummvees look wimpy, and that's just to survive their users.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, this situation sucks. Yes, GW are doing what we hate to see them do. And, yes, we all knew the hammer could fall at any moment.

Before anyone sells off all their stuff in disgust, let CS and the parties affected sort out just what the heck is going on. I know blood is boiling (mine included) but an Occupy GW movement isn't the answer. ;)

TheDean wrote:
Most of my close friends have cut all ties with GW for this reason, epic was the last game for me, but with the crackdown, I think it might be time to fully turn my back on GW. They won't be missed.

Noooo! I need a local opponent!
:nooo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

berzerkmonkey wrote:
Yes, this situation sucks. Yes, GW are doing what we hate to see them do. And, yes, we all knew the hammer could fall at any moment.

Before anyone sells off all their stuff in disgust, let CS and the parties affected sort out just what the heck is going on. I know blood is boiling (mine included) but an Occupy GW movement isn't the answer. ;)

Heeee...yeah I did say that didn't I...yeah probably not going to happen...I have threatened to sell my 40k eldar since 3rd edition came out ;D ....still got them...and the wolves since 3rd...still got them too.

An occupy movement...hey if someone will pay for the Flight to Nottingham and lend me a tent I would be down with that :D

To CS, appreciate all the work your doing with the forum, and this, and probably a lot of other little things we aren't even aware of.
I really do hope that things can be settled and the water will calm again, and if 6mm minis that look like they belong in the 40k universe but clearly aren't direct copies, and don't infringe on GW's IP, start showing up I will happily spend any money I can scavenge on them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next