Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next

Dreaming of Plastics

Post subject: Re: Dreaming of Plastics
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This the last time but looking at the leman russ and thinking of helping evil at the same time. I think the next rule update should include the rule that the LR can tip over so anytime it goes down hill it has to take a dangerous terrain test.

Further more the land raider should have the rule that when it goes down hill it can tip up so when it is going down hill and shot on its forward arc it loses its reinforced armour attribute.

Im sure someone could design a tank that solves this problem......

Its late and im going now i know you are all glad

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Jaggedtoothgrin wrote:
i personally have no interest in the tanks (or really, the bases)
there's already a talented animal that makes artillery and transports that look much better

So basically, you only want infantry. :D

It's worth noting that plastics are always going to look worse than metals, because you can't put much detail on the sides due to the casting process limits.

Jaggedtoothgrin wrote:
difficult to tell, but i might be interested in plastic infantry.

And only a maybe on the infantry. I guess you're not my market for this product then, lol. :)

Jaggedtoothgrin wrote:
i know you've said before that if you dont include everything in the bundle then you'll never be able to sell enough of the unpopular stuff to turn a profit, but i still think its a terrible way to organise things

Your version of unpopular isn't the same as everybody else's version of unpopular.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:58 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Evil and Chaos wrote:
I guess you're not my market for this product then, lol. :)

I'm in a similar situation to JTG – i've invested a lot in metal/resin casts of 'similar' stuff over the years and would not want to duplicate it all in lower detail, though cheaper, plastics. I'd still want a set or two, probably, but overlapping with similar stuff i already have is a big limiting factor for me here in saying 'yes i'd buy x sets'. Still think you'd be good for 100, but just saying :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'd say less bases on the sprue and more minis ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Even if you dont need the tanks (maybe you like metal tanks better) i think this set is still worth it if containing a bunch of troops and bases due to the cheaper price compared to other companies. Just closet your plastic tanks or trade it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Bases on the sprue would be a definite plus for me. I prefer premade bases, and that way I don't have to buy the separatly.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:06 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

E&C, if this comes to fruition (and actually makes money), will it be a one off, or the first of a series? I ask because I do like to have bases included, but if you're going to do more than one set, it may make more sense to set it up like GW's sets: standardized bases on their own sprue that you only have to invest in once, and different models to go with them. Hell, I'd buy just bases from you if they were available in plastic.

Ghost's Paint Blog, where everything goes that isn't something else.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If you just had sprues with just infantry, but more figures, and perhaps some ruined building walls (always a crazy money making seller on the bay) you could sell the sprues forever anywhere with no potential disputes, and more people that already have finer detailed armor would want sets. You'd actually probably sell many more than 100.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

WestSide wrote:
If you just had sprues with just infantry, but more figures, and perhaps some ruined building walls (always a crazy money making seller on the bay) you could sell the sprues forever anywhere with no potential disputes, and more people that already have finer detailed armor would want sets. You'd actually probably sell many more than 100.

If I only had infantry, I'd have to charge much less per sprue, and need to sell 500 or more sets to break even.

In addition, the biggest advantage of plastics production is that it cuts costs on the larger items: tanks. You get a discount on producing infantry, but not to the same extent.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have to agree with those who prefer more infantry over vehicles. The detail quality of the vehicles due to the casting limitations just isn't high enough compared to avaiable products in different materials. With infantry it is a different matter. Here I'd still say that well designed plastic infantry is superior to any metal infantry I've seen so far, since metal's viscosity continues to be an issue. Sure you still have the undercut issue, but it is far less pronounced. Although it would require more sprues to break even, I think you would have a far superior product from a quality POV if you focus on producing highly detailed plastic infantry rather than mediocre vehicles. Put more infantry variants in to make things more interesting (You could go the SM-era plastic route and add infantry so that you would require 5 or 10 sprues to complete a particular type of stand). Basically instead of trying to cram everything into a single sprue, I think you should consider what type of products are best suited for this particular material and technique. It is better design rather than just doing stuff for the sake of doing it.
Bases and ruins all sound interesting, but I wouldn't add them, unless you can come up with a sneaky way to make them an integrated part of the sprue. If you can do that however, I think you have a winner :)

Nobody expects the Inquisition!!!
http://theepiclounge.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

weeel, if you split the tanks in half down their centre you could fill the sides with lovely detail and maybe get a little more on the top.

PLatic has more design constraints, but i've always aimed for now undercuts to prolong mold life anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

With regards to this specific set, I'd buy four or five as-is to support the concept (because it's a brilliant idea), but the bases leave me cold at the moment. They're useful, but I can get ones like that elsewhere, and I'd prefer more infantry than bases, personally.

I realise that this is a 'concept' sprue rather than a final one, so if you're open to tweaks and assuming you're keeping the bases, I'd vary the hole placement on them for variety, and I'd love to see them incorporate subtle ruins/rubble/craters/texture.

I'd like a greater variety of poses in the infantry – some kneeling in particular – and I'd prefer machine guns to missile launchers (or perhaps a mix?) :)

I'm in two minds about the vehicles. I think I'd like a sprue that concentrated on APCs and infantry, as those go well together. As it stands, the inclusion of APCs, artillery, tanks and infantry makes it seem a bit unfocussed. I rather like the suggestion of multipart tanks to increase the detail, but ultimately, I'm simply not that fond of the artillery or tank designs, which is probably what's tipping me towards wanting more infantry and APCs rather than the other bits.

A little bunker, gun pit or section of trench line would be cool if there's space. Would it be possible to design the sprue frame itself to be textured? If so, perhaps the bases/trenchline could be incorporated here?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep the frame could take some detail.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'd be interested in two boxes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Id get a box to - to support the cause ;D

And I second the Kickstarter idea. Talk is cheap, get us to put our money where are mouth is ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next