Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Xenos objectives detected in bronze sector

Post subject: Re: Xenos objectives detected in bronze sector
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

semajnollissor wrote:

In any case, if there are people that are confused as to the size of a US penny, I suggest that they refer to this site where they can query such things.

Ah, so that is what it was! :) to be sure, just providing pictures at all is way better than many old school mini makers out there. Pity about the not so clear measurements, but if you have already taken all intended pics, I understand your reluctance.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

moredakka wrote:
Why not just stick a 6mm figue next to them.

Well, that's what I'd like to do, but some companies get bent out of shape when you show one of their models in an "advertisement" for a "competing" model.

I figure that any 6mm model that is sufficiently obscure enough to not trigger a nastygram will also be too obscure to serve as a well understood scale.

How about this: anyone who decides they want one of these models will also get one free US penny scale as shown in the pictures.

That's actually a pretty good deal because I here vintage ones are worth two to three times at scrapyards what you normally pay for them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

semajnollissor wrote:
moredakka wrote:

Well, that's what I'd like to do, but some companies get bent out of shape when you show one of their models in an "advertisement" for a "competing" model.

I figure that any 6mm model that is sufficiently obscure enough to not trigger a nastygram will also be too obscure to serve as a well understood scale.

How about this: anyone who decides they want one of these models will also get one free US penny scale as shown in the pictures.

That's actually a pretty good deal because I here vintage ones are worth two to three times at scrapyards what you normally pay for them.

That is an interesting proposition. In Sweden they will be even more exotic. About the advertisement using pics of other manufacturers minis, did the GW vs Chapterhouse provide any guidance on that?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

semajnollissor wrote:
moredakka wrote:

Oh yeh i didn't think of that, i will shut up now. :D Or maybe you could just tell us non US guys how many millimetres that coin is instead.

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

moredakka wrote:
Oh yeh i didn't think of that, i will shut up now. :D Or maybe you could just tell us non US guys how many millimetres that coin is instead.

Or inches, thou, leagues, fathoms - anything convertible... ;)

I just quickly googled "old us penny diameter" and got 3 answers in the first page : 0.77", approx 1" and 1.25" (interestingly all decimal fractions of an imperial measure ? :-\ :D )

There are several references to being the same size as an "old engilsh penny" - which is about 31mm - ie 1.22" (following convention)... Would that be the one?

In which case this is almost twice as big as i had expected!

remember - google results are not the same depending on where you google (metaphysics left for an other day :) )

And i have also found out a fun fact for the day : old US pennies were almost entirely composed of Cornish Copper. ;D

Now, when can we buy some ? (toys not pennies)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

semajnollissor wrote:
Okay, here's an update:

I had to retake a lot of the pictures this weekend due to my crappy photography skills. Now I have to go through and crop everything and put them in the catalog document.

One of the complaints about my original catalog was that my photographs sucked. This issue should be addressed with the catalog I'm making now.

I do appreciate everyone's patience.

Works for me !!! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Blip wrote:
...I just quickly googled "old us penny diameter" and got 3 answers in the first page : 0.77", approx 1" and 1.25" ...

...remember - google results are not the same depending on where you google (metaphysics left for an other day :) )

Try this one then.

In all seriousness though, the stuff will be available "soon." I've just been super busy with real life and only have about 3 hrs a week to devote to this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm working through my photos now, so here is another model:

Attachment:
teaser 2.jpg
teaser 2.jpg [ 1.7 MiB | Viewed 10241 times ]

and another:

Attachment:
power node on platform base profile 1.JPG
power node on platform base profile 1.JPG [ 904.94 KiB | Viewed 10241 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:57 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looks really good! Looking forward to purchasing a few :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

and don't forget you get a free penny....although they have discontinued the penny here in the Great White North so I can't even use it up here....I have a fish bowl full that I need to roll and take in....

That sounds time consuming...maybe I can smelt them down and make them into miniatures :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm told that pennies and euro-cents are some of the most cost-effective bases available on the market...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

All looking good. Want to get some more of these for myself and possibly surprise my mate with some as a late birthday present.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

semajnollissor wrote:
Try this one then.

Sorry, not trying to be factious - just using a mobile phone screen and some dumb attempts at humor.

Wasn't exactly sure what is colloquially meant by "penny" and "vintage" in the US.

Now i can see the pic on a big screen it looks like a cent right ? And i'm guessing that as you guys have lots its not the 1800's "old US penny" described on wikipedia as the same size as a modern dollar, but instead an early 20thC cent which is still the same size as the modern one - ie approx .75" ?

Confusion comes as in the UK "old pennies" are still referred to a lot and were the same size (roughly 1.22") from 1700s to 1970s - plus everyone's grannies still have lots in old drawers and complain the "new" ones are too small and fiddly.

Man, its bad enough us Brits still using "penny" to describe what should by all rational sense a pound-cent (historically there were 240 pennies to the pound - by weight of silver !). At least the founding fathers had the sense to adopt some good Latin logic when they went decimal - 100 to the dollar ! :D

And don't mean to hassle you - just expressing my appreciation for how cool they look.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Okay, for those of you who aren't familiar with US pennies, here is some trivia that no one at all asked for:

The current obverse (front or heads-side) of the coin was designed in 1909. Some of the original coins struck in 1909 had the designer's initials (VDB) visible, but these were removed from later strikings after some people complained. That's why 1909 VDB pennies are the most sought Lincoln-head pennies and often sell for > $1000. Oddly, the mint put the initials back onto the coin in 1918 and no one seemed to mind.

The diameter of a US penny has remained roughly the same since 1856. Way back when: 19mm, now: 19.05mm.

Pennies struck in 1943 were made of zinc-coated steel to save copper needed for the war effort.

Pennies struck between 1944 and 1946 were made from recycled shell casings.

Prior to 1981 (and excluding 1943-1946), US pennies were 95% copper, hence my comment that 'vintage' pennies are worth 2-3 times what you normally pay for them (pay $0.01 for a penny with $0.02-$0.03 worth of copper). And that's the salvage price. Even the current zinc pennies cost more to make than $0.01 (the same is true of US nickels - $0.05 coins), which is why I think they ought to ditch both pennies, nickels, and quarters (and dollar bills while we're at it) and just go to a single decimal place for prices (keep the dime and dollar coins and make a new $0.5 piece).

From 1959-2008, Lincoln was shown on both sides of the penny - you can just barely see his statue inside the Lincoln Memorial on the reverse (tails-side) of the coin. He is the only person to be shown on both sides of the same coin (of the coins used for legal tender produced by the US mint).

A penny from 1909 is part of the calibration target on-board the curiosity rover currently on Mars. It is unknown whether anyone would bother to stop and pick it up if the penny were accidentally dropped.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next