Login |  Register |  FAQ

Would 6mm apes look like apes!

Post subject: Would 6mm apes look like apes!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi all,
As i dont play epic, i just enjoy collecting,painting and converting it, Im always on the look out for something to put together
that captures my imagination. Now this question is for more for the cad crew or people who have experiance in casting

Basically i would like to design an ape army! I have seen a few 28mm minatures from a company that sells ready painted ape minatures, it gave me the idea of designing some in 6mm, Now i know 6mm minatures just have hints of faces etc, but do you think an ape face can be pulled off, and the body would be in an ape postion that would hint at ape! Obviously they would be space apes!

Thoughts welcome from everyone good or bad! Regards epic

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Would 6mm apes look like apes!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Not a cad person. But I think most minis now have enough detail that you can tell what's what. I've seen other animals and they looked fine.
Is this like a planet of the apes army?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I bet if you painted epic orcs brown/black theyd look quite apish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

mnb wrote:
Not a cad person. But I think most minis now have enough detail that you can tell what's what. I've seen other animals and they looked fine.

It would be a sort of planet of the apes army, but with more futuristic armour .. i.e sm armour bits but retaining the ape bodyshape and stance i.e on all fours and decent weapons!

I have started some greenstuff test pieces, and will build a multi part body head arms etc that are ball joined so the minature can be glued in various postions head directions arms etc!

Have just finished one of the heads but have a feeling its going to end up more like a 10mm minature but will see how the rest goes! will get some pics up when it all starts to come together!

Regards epic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So, Karmans?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah ... I'd like to see Planet of the Apes type 6mm figures ... Of course they could be about the size of Ogryn ! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Possible, I'd say.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

epic wrote:
mnb wrote:

It would be a sort of planet of the apes army, but with more futuristic armour .. i.e sm armour bits but retaining the ape bodyshape and stance i.e on all fours and decent weapons!

I have started some greenstuff test pieces, and will build a multi part body head arms etc that are ball joined so the minature can be glued in various postions head directions arms etc!

Have just finished one of the heads but have a feeling its going to end up more like a 10mm minature but will see how the rest goes! will get some pics up when it all starts to come together!

Regards epic

Some pics would be good ... :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Regards epic[/quote]
Some pics would be good ... :)[/quote]

All in good time my friend! I want to complete the full sculp first so i can get an idea if it looks ok! Problem that i also find when photographing greenstuff is it tends to shine or hide detail, What i would like to do is finish sculpting the minature then paint it so it would show detail/picture better......can you still make moulds from a greenstuff minature thats been painted!

Regards epic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah ... I might be interested in some PotA type Apes ... ;D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Legion 4 wrote:
Yeah ... I might be interested in some PotA type Apes ... ;D

Well i said i was not going to post any pictures but here are a few pics of the what will be eventually a bionic chimp! I finally decided on a head after having a few atempts and not been happy with them, The legs are just wire at the moment as trying to attach green stuff and not have it flapping and bending out of shape was a nightmare. So i will just layer the green stuff over the pre bent shaped legs.

The front legs will be power fists!

The rears will be armour/robot but not heavy as to not distract from the front legs.

Some form of shoulder pads or ball joints where the metal meets the meat.

Weapons will be on the back i.e one waepon per chimp consisting of some missle lauchers, some will have a chaingun type weapon on the back or one shoulder blade, or even jet pack chimps!

As said not the best of pics and not the best of modeling but its a start and hopefully it will come out ok, also not happy with the size, the 5 pence piece an idea of scale, should really of been smaller but will finish the sculpting anyway.

If im happy with the finished project, i will disect the model and work out how to make a sprue to sent to get a mould done, That probably about the most exciting thing for me, i would love to pour my own metal minature that i have created, Would love to do in on CAD and get blues etc but its beyond my experiance at the moment! Have also seen you can get stuff scanned to make a 3d image and maybe redue the size of the minature to 6mm form but will speak to the likes of the evil wolf as he knows what can and cant been done on the cad side of things.

Legion 4 if i do get some of these made i will send you a few FOC to add to your large collection of minatures, Thats if they still take your fancy after seeing the semi prototype chimp sculp.

comments good,bad always welcome regards epic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Guys,
Quick update and some more pics, After looking at the pics of the chimp it did not give much of a picture of where i was heading, So pulled out the greenstuff and made the little fella some front arms, and a weapon system, Not sure of the weapon design it was just thrown together to see what a weaopns system would look like on his back.

Back legs i had to leave for now as too much non set greenstuff everywhere for my clumsby hands and fingers to be working round without flattening it ;D

Anyway heres the pics hope it all makes a bit more sense ;) not that bionic chimps do of course! ;D

Regards epic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just a minor note but the back should be more rounded and the head turned down, otherwise he appears more dog-like. Changing the posture would go a long way.

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Moscovian wrote:
Just a minor note but the back should be more rounded and the head turned down, otherwise he appears more dog-like. Changing the posture would go a long way.

Cheers good points, the head will be coming back off at some point so will move it, As for the head shape i will see what it comes out like when its in colour, the large round ears,nostrils and the large eye brow area once painted skin colour compared to the black chimp fur i hopeing it will look ok.

See what you mean about the backside, i will round it off a bit when when makeing the back legs ;) Chhers for the suggestions will alter these and see what it comes out like.

Regards epic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hmmm ?! Nice ... I'm sure I may like to add a few of those to my collection ... Let's see how they progress ... ;D Or Evolve ... ;) Maybe a bit more upright walking primates ... And ... Thanks for the pics !!! :D