Login |  Register |  FAQ

Eldar terrain dependence and Solar Sails

Post subject: Eldar terrain dependence and Solar Sails
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi everyone,

After getting a sound smack in the face about getting my scinece right on the Port Maw Forum I looked up quite alot of stuff on steller evolution (and other cool stuff). Anyway, on my stumbling around I came across the obvious fact that Solar winds will get weaker the further you are away from the sun (I knew that allready but hadn't considered it as insperation for a rule).

Now, what if Eldar friendly terrain (Asteroids) is more consentrated the further away from the sun you get (it allready is mostly)! Now, what if the speed bands decrease in strength in the Outer reaches and Deepspace, and an increase in speed in the flare region and mercurial zone!

But looking more in depth on Asteroid intensity relative to distance from the sun we see the following (Asteroid results from Battlezone generators):
Flare: Asteroid Field
Mercurial: Asteroid Field
Inner Biosphere: Asteroid field, D3 Asteroid fields
Primary Biosphere: Asteroid field, D3 Asteroid fields
Outer reaches: D3+1 Asteroid fields, D3 Asteroid fields
Deep Space: D3 Asteroid fields, Asteroid field.

But we must take into account unfriendly Eldar terrain, Solar Flares! And this also makes perfect sense for the speed increase!!

Flare: Solar Flare, Solar Flare.
Mercurial: Solar Flare.

So my suggestion is as follows:
+5cm speed when in the Flare Region and Mercurial Zone with an additional +5cm speed if a Solar Flare(s) has been rolled for (note: it may not actually occur in the game)!
-5cm Speed in the Outer Reaches and Deep Space (note: this is really harsh in Deep Space as there aren't really that many asteroids!)
(note: this could be made more 'realistic' by only having the 2 highest speed bands (away and acroos the sun) increase in speed in the flare region and mercurial zone, AND decrease in the outer reaches and Deep Space, would this make it too complicated? (I would preffer the rule if it only affected the 2 highest speed bands)

As a tweak to balance the crapness in the outer reaches, what if Eldar were better at naviagting Warp Rifts (normal leadership test, instead of on 3D6) but that Eldar get lost forever on a 1-2, instead of just 1 when the test is failed!?  
(This makes fluff sense, as the Eldar are really good at naviagting the warp, the only problem is that it'll be a rough ride with thier psychic signature attracting warp entities!

*Also a fluff point crossed my mind: How the hell do Eldar ships 'fly' in between systems when defending a craftworld? No wonder Iyanden got so screwed by the Nids!!!

Cheers,

RayB

Ps: This topic may appear on other Forums.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Also another Eldar terrain tweak would be to allow the Eldar player to reroll a single result on the battlezone generator. (any ideas on expanding this, or do you think this is fine as is?)

I had an idea of using up Eldar Fleet re-rolls to reroll terrain but that seemed too powerful! (and would increase the value of the rerolls massively!)

Another option was the Eldar player rolls 2D6 and picks the lowest when rolling for terrain. (but this depends on how you set up terrain, if each player gets 2/3 rolls that would be fine). The problem with this is that it makes Solar Flares far more likley! (I preffer this option as it works with how 'we' set up our terrain, but the increased likely hood of Solar flares is scary, however with the +5cm speed this might not be so bad!)

Cheers,

RayB

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Uhm, Ray, where's the K.I.S.S.?  :p  :;):

But since it can be applied in MMS also:

- The speed issue in relation to the region is quite interesting. And throughout realistic. However only using on the two highest bands will make it a bit cluttered. But applying it to the lowest band could result in a 10cm move for an Eldar cruiser, bye bye Eldar.

- I taught Eldar used the webway for their journey's.

- Your second post I cannot support. I think the generators from the rulebook are fine as they are. The Eldar already having the advantage because of their AR. Their battles will always take place in the two outerst most regions, or where ever they want.
The Craftworld with AR 3 (will this become official?) having it a tad harder.

We always choose the zone with AR + zone number, highest wins. After that divide field in 60cmx60cm squares. Then each player rolls a dice for a square. On a 4+ terrain is created using the zone generators. Works mighty fine.

Warp Rift
Project Distant Darkness
Eldar MMS

GothiComp Hall of Fame
http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=19176

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I know its not 'simple' but its not complex either! And I think it may give Eldar some balance! (I'll try it out to really find out though!)

Another reason for the slow speed band not going down/up is to limit the bad affect and not too make the Eldar too good in the flare region! But it maybe just simpler to just be a +5cm or -5cm. Is it really too clutered?

Eldar use the webway instead of normal warp travel when ever they can. But the webway doesn't go everywhere and some sections are just disconected from the whole. So Eldar will make the odd short hop through the warp (usually only about 10 or so light years). It's so risky that the event will be quite rare! As an example of the Eldar travelling through the warp: the corsairs in the gothic war tracked the Chaos fleet by following them in the warp!

My 2nd post is so relevant to how people set up that it will be totally dependant on each groups method. There should be a  'standard' method in the Rule book! Grr!
Because it is so random it's hard to afix a sense of balance to the fleet if they are so dependant on this random out come! (if its less random, even if it makes them 'better', you'll achieve a sense of assured ability).
Our group (or rather most games 'I' play) will have 1"x1" (" = means feet, right?) squares, each gets a roll on the generator table, each player rolling alternately while picking an avialble square. Players may choose to not place thier terrain and leave it blank.

Cheers,

RayB