Login |  Register |  FAQ

Free BFG?

Post subject: Free BFG?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

"I posted this on the old Forums but got no response so I will try here in the new forums :D"

Sorry about the misleading title but I got thinking that if Fanatic released the Blood Bowl rule book on the internet for free then might they one day release BFG (or any of the other Fanatic games) for free on the net?
I realise that Epic is kinda free but at the moment it is not a complete game.
I also realise that it might be hard to release BFG as only a rule book because it is so dependent on some of the counters (Blastmarkers and ordanence), however Blood Bowl is also dependent on some huge game features (ie the pitch ) but it is still available.

What do you think?
and if anyone knows why they did publish the BB rule book online please tell me

Thanks for listening.
BS   :;):

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Personally, I dont think GW will release BFG free online anywhere in the near future.  Its a relatively new game, and with the year of chaos campaign upcoming, I think there will be another surge in interest as people want to reinact/effect the results of the campaign.

As long as the system is selling, and therefore making money, I dont see GW giving it away.  I would say Blood Bowl was making very little in box game sales, so maybe they let it be available for free, to spark minature sales.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 11:06 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Determined not to let this one die then!

I would guess that there were a number of reasons why Fanatic decided to publish BB for free. Firstly, sales are low, and are unlikely to be serious and so developing and editing a new game would be a waste. Secondly, the pitch itself must be a serious work to put together, and that would be difficult.

I think that it is extremely unlikely that we will see the same thing for Gothic. It is one of the bigger and more successful games for Fanatic (especially in the US) and there is money to be made. Anyway, the rules are established and work well and so can be used without editing or changing. Anyway, the original rules appeared in WD, does that count?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Is Blood Bowl GW's longest running game behind 40k and Warhammer then?
By my estimates the current version (Minus the Annuals) has been out for a good 10 years!
Is that right or am I just going mad :laugh:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 4:40 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Sounds good. It was out at about the same time as Space Hulk first edition. I have the first edition somewhere, with a proper pitch. I dont think that the rules have changed a lot since then with further editions. Generally, it is a great game, and I like it a lot. I have a half painted Ork team all bought and ready for their team colours, but stashed away in a drawer. Good fun, but really geared for the US market due to the similarities to American Football.