Login |  Register |  FAQ

Planet Killer Scenarios

Post subject: Planet Killer Scenarios
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi everyone. Back on the epic40k boards after a bit of a break. I've recently picked up a Chaos Planet Killer (cheap :) !) and was thinking of creating a scenario around it.

First off, anyone else have the PK and, if so, want to give me any feedback on the ship?

The scenario I envisaged was the (new/salvaged?) PK and a moderate Chaos fleet (Abaddon wouldn't want to lose it again) has just returnws from planet busting duty at the start of the 13th Crusade. The Imperials have diverted every ship in the vicinity to track down this abberation before it can reach the safety of the main fleet, when they receive a broadband transmission from a small squadron of Eldar destroyers who are trailing the Chaos strike force. As the Imperial fleet tries to seek its retribution, all h.e.l.l descends!

The Chaos fleet enters on the short side of a rectangular playing area in three parts. The vanguard (mainly frigates), the main body (including the PK) and the rearguard. One squadron of Eldar frigate also enters the battlefield on any of these first three turns no more than 30cm from any Choas model. The random elements of the Imperial fleet then enter from random table edges, recycling any casualties. Chaos wins if they get the PK of the opposite table edge, the Imperials must destroy the PK to win. Please bear in mindthis is the initial draft, hence the lack of firm scenario guidelines. Comments?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It sounds really good.  The Eldar being within 30CM sounds a bit dodgy.  I like it though.  Games based around scenarios rather than points can be fun.

'Kill the thing at all costs'

A bit like the Borg cube closing on Earth.  All the federation are drafted in to fight it and destroy it at all cost.

I think the best way to refine the rules is to actually play the scenario to find where the flaws lie.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:21 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Reminds me of the scrap where the Hood was sunk, searching for the Bismark. If I understand it, this would a three player event. The trouble that I see is that with a PK (505 points) and a reasonable fleet, Chaos are going to be REALLY tough to stop. Essentially, as a Chaos player, I would bulldoze the way with the PK and just keep pushing forward, using torps at anything that would get close.

It would not be a fair battle. I have no problem with this, and in some situations this is better, just be aware.

I guess that the most likely way to stop the PK, would be for the Eldar to come on right behind it, screen and fire all guns and torps as often as possible. The Chaos fleet would then have to turn around to sort them out.

It could be interesting. Play it and let us know the result. If you want to send it in when it is done, feel free. It would be good to get some scenarios (although I just today received one to add for Gothic).

Welcome back!  :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

At the moment I was thinking of just using a single squadron of Eldar destroyers under the command of the Imperial player.

I'll definitely send you the scenario once I'm able to play test it, although please bear in mind I haven't even got the PK yet and there are also the twin distractions of some new Skaven and a Man O' War project!

Jackhammer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

>>a Man O' War project

Cool, what are you making/playtesting/painting.. etc?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 10:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm currently finishing off my fleets. Looking for some Dwarf War Balloons and Empire Ironfists in particular and these things are very hard to find! When I finish my current uni term I will have more time for GW stuff in general, including the Man O'War stuff and the Planet Killer game. My next Man O' War step is stripping, painting, assembling the various new ships I've recently collected. When I'm finished I'll have relatively large Dwarf, High Elf and Empire fleets, plus some Chaos Dwarfs, Norse, Pirates and Dark Elves! I'm a bit of a Man O' War fan :) After that I finally be able to get some games in (hopefully).