Login |  Register |  FAQ

First E40K* game in years

Post subject: First E40K* game in years
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My wife and I played the first Epic 40K game I've had for years. The * in the Subject is because I tweaked it for 6" hexes. Figures this small should be picked up and plunked down. I remember positioning figures for range, movement, separation between units, cover, LOS, barrage templates, and who is closer to the enemy. I'm still using LOS and cover to some extent (though abstracting some, too), and still removing units by who is closest to enemy. But we really enjoyed not doing any measurement in this game.

Here's a very loose report from TMP.

A while ago my son and I played a game of Chain of Command with our 15mm Quar collection. A good GeoHex setup takes some time, so I figured I'd get another game in on it. After all this time, I finally played on it last night. Now my other son will get to get the ping-pong table back. :)

Anyway, my wife and I played Epic 40K for the first time in years. She'd helped me play out battles while playtesting Epic Armageddon. (The only thing I remember from that is how our figures would rush up to the front to not shoot, because originally blast markers in EA canceled nearest firing units. That got changed, but I decided I still prefer Epic 40K.)

Pictures here:
https://goo.gl/photos/5dPdPUcQsEuGtmW36

She played the Space Marines, I played Eldar. I used detachments from years ago, without a lot of thought. We played 1000 points, since this was the first time in a long time, and I'd made some tweaks. The washers across the table are 6" hex centers. Gun ranges got converted to hexes directly, and speeds got converted to 1, 1+, 2-, 2, 2+, 3-, 3, 3+. A number with a plus moves the number with regular move in Move phase, and +1 in Assault Phase or when marching. A – means you subtract one from march move. So a Land Raider (2-) can keep up with Rhinos(2+) except when they march. I'd like to clean this up a bit, but don't really know how. Most infantry move 1, fast ones like Guardians move 1+.

We both put our 2 objectives each on the same end of the field, my right, her left. My first show, with 2 falcons, a fire prism, and a spinner, took out 2 or 3 Marine tanks and left lots of blast markers. It gave me hope when I'd been staring at those marines and thinking how tough they were.

We each sent a detachment of jetbikes / speeders around the other end. Mine was much bigger than hers, and I shot them up and then assaulted. I'd hoped I could wipe them out, as much as I outnumbered them, but one got away. I figured I should ignore the one and sent my bikes to add their firepower on the flanks of the marines, but she sent her lone speed (after rallying) over to claim an objective. I'd assumed that when it came close I'd just shoot it, but then I forgot and moved those units away. Duh.

While I was able to get a bunch of swooping hawks in wave serpents over to assault a flank, with jetbikes following up, it ended up being costly. I did manage to temporarily break a large marine detachment by assaulting one end, but the blast markers didn't last long (fate cards).

After a bunch of shooting, and some careful assaults, we'd both been reduced a bit, but I had several turns of a unit sitting on a Take and Hold objective. Maybe I could have tried to do a bit more damage and get some more objective points, but she had two untouched detachments in cover, and I didn't have anything I felt was strong enough to assault them. My largest remaining group was all on foot, so I acknowledged her win, which was closer in points than it looked on the field.

I admit that the assault rules are a bit odd, and there are some gamey things you can do with how to "soak up" blast markers when shooting. But this game has a simplicity that I really like, and is at the abstraction layer I like. I actually picked it up again because of Nordic Weasel's new 6mm game, which talked about being fast, but made me think how elegant (IMO) the Epic 40K rules were.

My wife says we should play again before she forgets the rules again, and that's got to be a win. Thanks, NW, for letting me see your rules, inspiring me to pick up this old favorite! :)

andy

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: First E40K* game in years
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Glad you had a go at it!

I like those modular landscapes you have there.

Personal & Wargaming Blog: http://www.theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk

EPIC WIP: Grey Knights, Space Wolves, Eldar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:16 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Good stuff! :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice to see someone else enjoying E40k it's a great game that deserves more attention.

I've often considered hexes as a means to eliminate the need for rulers and templates, I have Hexon II terrain tiles which are 10cms across the flats which are an ideal size for such a conversion.

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I was quite involved with Epic 40K and online communities at the time.

I considered 4 inch hexes first. Weapon ranges fit into 6" hexes better, but I think moves would get more precision if using 4" (10cm). I honestly switched to 6" to reduce the number of hex centers I have to put down. That takes a while, though I sped it up by making a triangle with sides 6" each, which helps quickly place hex center markers. When you start getting lots of rows and columns, you can eyeball them. But Hexon would be terrific.

I use Geo-Hex. I orignally thought about putting one of my hexes in the center of each GeoHex hex, and one in the center of each edge. But I don't want to have to assume the use of it.

Issues with hexes:
* movements don't fit well, and there's not enough granularity for speeds.
* you have to make sure you're clear which hex each unit is in
* how do you want to do barrages? We didn't use any, but my plan is to have a barrage be on a hex, and the fp will be the smaller of 1/2 the number of units in the hex or 1d6.
* distortion cannons hit based on speed in cm. I could make a table so it works out the same, but it is clunky.
* snap fire: I just don't let enemies enter the same hex
* overwartch: I'd either not allow any movement, or let adjust within hex. While I treat a hex as same terrain all across, there are some terrain effects. In last night's game, there was a ridge now the middle of one, and you couldn't see across it, though in same hex. I decided I was OK with that.

Probably a few more issues, but in general, I loved not having to measure. I do let detachments go into multiple hexes, and have to stay in hex next to HQ. (I suppose I should allow 2 hexes, since it is 30 cm. It would have helped me last night.) BMs apply across hexes to same detachment. Each unit has to stay within its move limit, so you aren't limited to slowest move for all.

andy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Oh, the other big issue with hexes is war engine movement. I think it will work fine, but I haven't finalized what I'll do. I'll probably let them point at any edge or corner, but need to think about turns and speeds.

andy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I wasn't going to get to hung up on the ranges, move distances etch i'd just round up measurements to increments of 10cms. The hex area itself would be used for template weapons, anything in the hex take a hit.

Always looking to keep it simple.

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Right almost midnight here time for bed, catch you later.

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Argh I'll make my head spin if I spend any longer trying to find "the perfect terrain system" or what not =-P

Personal & Wargaming Blog: http://www.theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk

EPIC WIP: Grey Knights, Space Wolves, Eldar