Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Interest in a NetE40k?
Yes, absolutely, and I want to help and contribute! 31%  31%  [ 12 ]
Yes, I would like to see a NetE40k. 36%  36%  [ 14 ]
No, there are too many Epic games already. 33%  33%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 39

NetE40k

Post subject: Re: NetE40k
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ravensburg wrote:
Please guys don't let this project sink! :tut

That will all depend on support from the games fans. ;)

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi, I am more of a collector than a player at this point (but that could change) - having massive numbers of every race/faction. That being said, I could probably help with some financial support if needed to further this project. I also have an interest in rules for the "newer" miniatures (30K and 40K) that lack them - e.g., the biped walker Decimator, the Maulerfiend, Forgefiend, Heldrake, Tyranid options by the dozen, Necron stuff, etc.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Sawbones, I was not refering to financial help here thanks all the same though, it was help to stear the project in the right direction with playtesting of changes, re-writting of rules changes and additions, creation of new army lists, stating new units, that sort of thing.

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm not all that interested at this point, mostly because I don't know what is in mind.

Having still recently taken up E40K again, I'm really struck with how much I like these rules, and how much I'd forgotten that. So I don't want to make big alterations, like switching to activations, and I'm not convinced of a need to combine CC and FF. I'll pay attention, though, and see what comes up. I jus t don't see the need.

Statting up models does sound like a good idea, though E40K principles might mean that some models can use the same stats as existing ones. Not everything needs to be distinguished. Abstraction is part of what I appreciate in E40K.

Having said that, here are the changes I'd make myself.

* Corrections and official changes from Firepower. I remember not carrying much for the new rules for assigning dice, and when I suggested different, it was too late in E40K's lifecycle. But many of those changes were well worth it.
* A few house rules: Equal strategy rating means each side gets 3 counters. Remove smaller of 2d6 instead of d6-1 blast markers. I think I have a few more.
* The Titan Project: This is almost all just weapon variations, but had a bit more.
* Hexification: This isn't fixing something broken, and I don't expect it to be taken up widely. But the last game we played was on 6" hexes, and I loved it. I don't like measuring 6mm figures. Pick 'em up and put 'em down. The changes I'm making will get cleaner, because I decided I will go ahead and use the barrage template, which I was thinking I'd rewrite to use the hexes. Megacannons and such were getting too complicated. This is a bigger change, but I don't think it changes the principles of the game.

andy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi,

A great idea, Moredakka and myself did a bit of work last year, trying to put together all the amendments from the various mags etc. We ended up doing quite a bit of tinkering with the rules though!

Anyway, I have the files still, anyone who wants them just PM me with your email and ill send you all 4 versions, so you will be able to see how it changed from one version to the next.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I will be glad to offer my help on this project.

Ravensburg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

yorkie wrote:
Hi,

A great idea, Moredakka and myself did a bit of work last year, trying to put together all the amendments from the various mags etc. We ended up doing quite a bit of tinkering with the rules though!

Anyway, I have the files still, anyone who wants them just PM me with your email and ill send you all 4 versions, so you will be able to see how it changed from one version to the next.

Steve

yorkie mate, maybe it's time to try again with the fan edition especially with more members here taking an interest. We could start at the beggining with an amended rule set with all official updates and changes, once that's done and everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet so to speak then optional turn sequences and alternative rules etc could be hammerd out and added to the book as just that alternative ways to play the game should any particular group wish to do so. I think this is the best approach to any updating/modernising of the game from how things are at the moment.

This way the original core game and rules are updated and always available and we have several options/alternative ways to play that can be chosen or ignored by the players themselves. I still wish to use the alternating movement options and modified CC phase we came up with but that's just me others may not feel the need and it would probably be best to keep these modifications as options only.

Unit stats and army list work plus new units to add will be quite a bit of work in themselves but not insurmountable.

So your thoughts on this mate and anyone else for that matter is it the way ahead for this excellent game.

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, I will of course help where I can, and will make the documents I came up with last year available, maybe add them to drop box? Someone with better IT skills than me could then take control of it.

I really think 1 person should edit the documents, as lots of people having access to it will no doubt cause chaos! Im ruling myself out of it, as I dont have the time, or experience to do it justice.

Thoughts?

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This is the problem we need someone to come forward and lead the project, someone with the time and IT skills to do it justice.

We need to find such a person before we can move forward. I'd love to have been that person but I have neither the time or IT ability to take it on.

Lets hope another member will step forward here.

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Please let me once again offer my help on this.

- As a game director in the video game industry, i think I have the skills required, time not so many but i'm sure i can do something (knowing that nothing hurry I hope : )

- I worked on several strategy video games.

- I play Epic since 1990 and E40K is my favorite iteration.

- Finally I've seen what you've done so far and agreed with most of the changes.

So, do you want me to lead the NetEpic40K project?

Ravensburg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Personally, I think the core game rules lend themselves to optional rules and that should be the focus. Firepowers 1 - 4 added a lot to the rules without burdening it too much. Off the top of my head, I can think of the way IG vehicles were extended with soft top transports, medics, scouts, bridging detachments and the various LeMan Russ variants. I think this is the way to go. Right now, I am working on rules to extend the use of scout/LRRP detachments that were inspired by EA without being of EA and warping the ruleset.

Additionally, I support clarifications of the core rules.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think so long as you adopt a modular or layered framework (i.e. start with unmodified rules and add optional components on to it) it can serve everyone's goals.

Personally I think I have a pretty good idea of what's needed and how to do it, what I lack is the time (both for the project and to game).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ravensburg wrote:
Please let me once again offer my help on this.

- As a game director in the video game industry, i think I have the skills required, time not so many but i'm sure i can do something (knowing that nothing hurry I hope : )

- I worked on several strategy video games.

- I play Epic since 1990 and E40K is my favorite iteration.

- Finally I've seen what you've done so far and agreed with most of the changes.

So, do you want me to lead the NetEpic40K project?

Ravensburg

I would have no objections to you leading this project if your willing. :)

What we do need though is a plan on how we wish to proceed and what we intend to have as a finished item at the end. Maybe we need to create a list that we can layout and work our way through for the rules and another one for all the additional ideas and army specific stuff players would like to see too.

Thoughts

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like that you guys were talking about starting off basic and easy to agree on. Clarifications, official fixes, bringing together one updated rule set first.

That gives more people a chance to get off at their stop. :)

I haven't looked that deeply into any of the net projects. Do you have to rewrite the rules to other words? I'm thinking that rules themselves aren't copyrighted, but expression of them is. (Not a lawyer!) So does someone just edit old and new, or does someone have to rewrite old and include new?

andy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just to say guys - I'm cheering from the side lines! I loved epic 40k when it came out and hope that one day I have time/opponents keen to give it another go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next