Login |  Register |  FAQ

Epic 40k, NetEpic, Epic Armageddon, what's the diff?

Post subject: Epic 40k, NetEpic, Epic Armageddon, what's the diff?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi there, some new blood for this forum... though not that new otherwise. I ussd to play Epic back in the day, had me a Blood Angels and Tryanid armies... I want to restart Epic, I managed to find my old box with the rules, dice, buildings etc... sadly not much left in the way of miniatures.

So in addition to choosing what minis to uses, I wonder what the main differences are between the three (?) ruleset... and which one I should go with. I should mention that I just purchased the newish AT starter set and some terrain, because the Titans look damn cool, and I have sold all but one of my old Titans... :(

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Epic 40k, NetEpic, Epic Armageddon, what's the diff?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:28 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Epic 40k (E40k) is often used as a catch all term to refer to all GW 6mm scifi epic. However, in rules terms it specifically refers to the 1997 3rd edition of epic. This system diverged a lot from the original Space Marine rules and fell out of favour. It's got some innovative and abstract rules mechanics but is not widely played (though some fans of it on these forums!).

NetEpic is a community run ruleset that follows on from the Space Marine era of rules from the early 90s.

Epic Armageddon (EA) is the most recent version of Epic. Less abstract than Epic 40k but faster play (though with smaller armies) than SM/NetEpic). Though now out of production along with the above 2 rules, it has the largest continuing player base and tournaments around the world run by the community. The lists and rules have been updated by the community under the Net Epic Armageddon project here https://www.net-armageddon.org/

(If you are French, there's also the french rules/lists following on the Epic armageddon, for use in french tournaments, the lists are quite different. In the UK Epic UK runs tournaments using Epic Armageddon, some of the lists are a bit more locked down than Net Epic Armageddon for tournament balance).

So a bit of a mix of names and bits of names being used to apply to a mix of things! EA is probably the most played, especially in terms of organised tournament play. NetEpic also has an active community and some events. E40k is probably the least played, but the rules are worth a read!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:13 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

We need an info-graphic. This question comes up weekly on the various Epic hubs around the webs.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Whereabouts in the world are you? If you're also in the UK Epic Armageddon has players scattered about and 10 or tournaments / events each year and I would recommend them.

I played lots of 2nd edition as a teenager and it was fun at the time but the current 4th edition Epic Armageddon is a way better game in my opinion and it seems to the most popular system too. 3rd edition 'Epic 40k' was a very different game system and seems less popular than other editions.

Fine to use Titanicus titans for Epic, lots of us do.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I am located in Finland, so tournament considerations are probably moot... iin any case, I have never been much of a tournament player, I am more a collector & painter, and only dabble in actual gaming. ;D

I usually have to provide both armies to get my mates playing too.

So do all the different versions use the same core mechanics, or are there any significant rules differences?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Fair enough. There are/were at least a handful of Epic Armageddon players in Finland if that helps? Some were talking about coming to a European epic team tournament back in 2017. Search the forum for the word 'Finland' and reach out and message a few of the Finish players and see if anyone is located close to you and may be up for a game?

All 3 editions you mention have signifigantly different core mechanics.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I guess I'd better re-read my Epic rules, and then download and read the Net versions for comparison... I hate reading pdfs on screen though, so probably better just to print them. :{[]

Watched a new youtube video today (yes, I know...) claiming there's strong rumours of Epic relaunch, probably for Horus Heresy though. Anyone heard anything about this?