and of your children limbs,
and of your grand children limbs,
To the ten time tenth generation !

May your brush become hooked,
and its hairs fall in your paint !

May you cut your thumb nastily,
While cutting away the flash
growing out of your loved ones !

The plea you here hear is the plea of a dying man.

Indulge me as I post this post of shame, having not even a single picture to show for my pain, for still, my August objective obstinately sit on my workbench, unfinished and daring my fading forces.

Tired, spent, drained, my exhausted soul, eroded by inordinate amount of cruel work, still has a last scream to scream.

For I have to make it heard, I have to say it loud and I have to say it publicly :

I SWEAR, THOSE DAMNED GEMSTONES ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY !

Last edited by Athmospheric on Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: TOEG 2010 - Athmospheric's Eldars
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Well you know..not all of these bulboes are gemstones...some are just spheres conceiling some technological device.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, BL's right.

You can choose to paint the protrusions as either gemstones or equipment blisters (i.e., the same as the vehicle hull colour). GW have stated this design aspect of the Eldar armour and equipment on many occasions. Most people choose a few key locations to do as gemstones, and then do the rest as blisters.

So don't worry! We are here to help and encourage you afterall! :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, thank you every one for the encouragements :)

I hope to be able to show this phantom soon, I still have two quick pass to do to the gemstones, and quite some other work to do, but I expect it to be a little less nerve wrecking :D

Next, two guardian hosts with Warp serpents. Will probably be faster to paint, providing I find a practical way to base them without them becoming impossible to paint :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks, actually the lacking element is time, rather than motivation.

I got some good progress on my Phantom this week end however, but I'm still a very slow painter. The fact that I ended up wasting several hours with the gems (started to paint them the wrong way around, how silly of me) certainly didn't help, but those are mostly done now.

I hope they'll turn out all right, it's kind of hard to say right now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Athmospheric wrote:
The fact that I ended up wasting several hours with the gems (started to paint them the wrong way around, how silly of me) certainly didn't help

I feel your pain... I've done that a few times - especially with lenses (turned the model round for better access to the part I was painting... And, well. ::) )

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

STILL NO PICTURES.

I made some good progress this week end however, but I realise there is no way I'll be able to compensate and have 1000Pts painted by the end of this month. I aim to finish my phantom titans and get some preparation work done for the next models, so I'll probably just go along one month late, unless I end up painting more than 500Pts every month, and finally catch up. But I see everyone is already painting more than 500Pts a month anyway...

(re-) Learnt several very important things (since I didn't paint for a few years) :

- Don't rush the preparation of a mini when you plan on spending lots of time painting a mini. A 20+ hours paintjob doesn't deserve mould lines and lousy conversion work. I actually had to re-sand a painted part to minimise the damage. Luckily it was in an easy to paint plain area, but still.

- Don't paint gemstone upside down before righting things up, it's actually a waste of time. Heh.

- Don't start your army with a titan. Test your colour scheme a smaller and less detailed mini even if you KNOW it will look good, if only to work out which steps are useless and invisible in the final mini.

Plus, I tried to go for very subtle highlights, and they ended up being TOO subtle. My girlfriend (usual test subject n1) didn't see them at first. I'll have to do some more. Meh, what a N00b.

On the plus side, the gemstones DO work well now (7-step painting method, not counting the 3 upside down and the touch-ups), very time consuming but the results are satisfying. My first experiments with pigments went well (although I probably got a bit over excited), but now I have a very weathered and nice base, and a very clean titan, and I'm not sure how to tie the model and the base together.

I always see Eldars as perpetually clean, with vibrant colours and crisp details, so I'm reluctant on weathering eldars (and I'm not sure how I would do it). I will probably post some pictures of this 80% done WIP and ask you for some opinions, once I can get some decent light. Maybe some not-too-hard freehand decoration ? Hum.

The base is cratered and features a wrecked Imperial Fist rhino, burnt out in a pool, and still has no vegetation. I'm wondering if I should keep it battlefield-like, or lean toward the option of making it a battlefield of the past, with weeds and grass starting to regrow over the torn earth. I'll listen to your opinions for that too.

While there are still no photo, I can tell you that my choice of colour is very dark blue and bone, with red gems (think of a Blueish Ulthwe scheme).

Last edited by Athmospheric on Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Athmospheric wrote:
While there are still no photo, I can tell you that my choice of colour is very dark blue and bone, with red gems (think of a Blueish Ulthwe scheme).

I'd be fascinated to see this scheme, even with a not-great photo.

I have been experimenting with very dark blue and off-black schemes and colours recently, and I'll bet I could suggest a faster way to achieve your scheme (if you'd like!). And by 'Faster', I do not mean drybrushing and inking, but rather a better way to achieve the colours and blends without so many steps. ;)

What paints are you using BTW?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi,

My Eldar Epic Armageddon will be same as my Craftworld Eldar fleet:
blue-bone

So almost same. Not decided on Gems, on the ships I made em golden.

cheers

Warp Rift
Project Distant Darkness
Eldar MMS

GothiComp Hall of Fame
http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=19176

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

At last, some pictures.

My phantom is still in the state I described yesterday : I did take some photos first thing while there was still a little natural light around. Still, all were taken with the flash; be warned that it makes the Blue look significantly lighter than IRL, and help the highlight show on it.

Here are some shots when you can see more of the base :

And some more view of the titan itself :

I will do some more highlights on the blue and probably glaze it on the shoulders and legs (So that it look better IRL), and refine the shade/light a little on the bone too.

I also have the pool to finish (water to add, some glaze of green-brown inks, etc.), and will probably do some more work on the rhino too as I find it a bit lacking in details (specially as the chapter symbol on the side door was obscured by the weathering). I did put too much mud on it, but I'm not sure I'll have the dedication to repaint the top of it, specially as I'm very pleased with the soot from the battle damage on the other hand.

I'd like to get some opinions on a few points :

- I'm still not sure how I will paint the Pulsars main weapons. At first I thought that a Cold white would look good, but I really have doubts right now. A dark red is tempting (a deep, dark red is always a temptation for me) but I think the gems are enough red and it would steal their thunder. Keeping with the blue and bone, maybe with some freehand Ulthwe-like décors ?

- I somehow think the model and the base are not tied together enough. The obvious way is to weather the Titan a little, but I'm not sure if it would still look as eldarish and out-worldly as it does. Maybe a slight amount of mud on the feet ? Or possibly an Eldar infantry figure with similar colours on the base ? Both ?

- I'm toying with the idea of making the base look like a months old battlefield, with some vegetation regrowing, a few tufts, small bushes, weeds... I'm not sure it it would be wise though. If I keep the fresh battlefield theme, would a few patches a burnt grass (away from the wreck) be wise ?

I will of course make up my mind myself sooner or later, but you have a great idea or suggestion, I'd be glad to hear it.

Salutations to all !

Last edited by Athmospheric on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

i see it as an old battlefield, with the crisp titan striding across the wreckage. so yeah, i'd avoid weathering on the titan and add a bit of regrowth

also, it looks awesome and makes me wish i'd won that auction with 11 phantoms a while back...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:17 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Nice, and very cool base also.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great work, though as my scheme is very similar, I may be biased!

Those wing gems are a curse aren't they? so ruddy many of them at the strangest of painting angles.