Login |  Register |  FAQ

TOEG 2010 - Athmospheric's Eldars

Post subject: Re: TOEG 2010 - Athmospheric's Eldars
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wow, nice scheme! :)

Few things that come to mind:

I sympathise with all those gems! I mean, wow, you have patience! I probably wouldn't have done the wing gems in that way (except maybe for the Warlock Titan), I would have painted them as surface blisters that house the Holofield tech.

I also see what you mean about doing the weapons black/red, and while they could look good, it depends on whether you plan on doing this with the rest of the army (i.e., will they all get black/red weapons too?). I don't think a cold white will give you the contrast against the bone really... You could do a bright silver? Or do them in bone/dark blue like the rest of the Titan, and then do the ends in a glow-effect light blue or red maybe?

I think the crisp clean look is fine on the dirty battlefield, as I feel it looks like the Titan has stepped into the area rather than having been in the explosions and such itself. As for overgrown or freshly damaged ground, I think either will look good. Sometimes, a model's base is good area to get colours in that don't fit too well on the model (like green bushes), and sometimes the base is a good area to leave with a high contrast in order to show the model off better.

As for painting, I think that if you start with a light coloured primer (like a grey for example) and then repeatedly wash the areas with thin watery washes of increasingly dark blue/black paint, that you can get some great natural shading and highlighting without needing to spend all the effort on it.
You just put each layer on loosely where you want it, and then either go an do something else for a bit while it dries, or help it along a bit with a hair dryer.
As long as the paints are very thin, the previous layers will show through. So that grey primer you started with will still show through the blue/black at the edges, and 'fade' into the main panel areas; the main panel areas in turn 'fade' into the recesses where darker colours have similarly been washed.
Your shading and most of the highlighting is therefore done for you - all you need to do is use a very thin white to add the very final spot highlights in order to maximise the effect.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well for the blue, in this case I did it in a relatively traditional way. I do however use very thin coats as you mentioned, so as to better blend the colours.

1. Black primer
2. Black/midnight Blue mix basecoat
3. Thin coat of midnight blue, leaving the recesses uncovered
4. very thin coat of regal blue.
5. Highlight with a very thinned down regal blue/ Ultramarine Blue mix

I think I'll had one more very thin highlight with very thin paint, and darken the centre of the large panels (shoulder, legs) with thinned black/midnight blue.

I'm about satisfied with the bone, only a few touch-ups and final highlights to do, and some blending on the wings where some of the shadow are a bit harsh.

I will probably do the Pulsars in Dark Blue and white, And I think I'll add a little vegetation on the base, as well as probably an infantry model.

I realise I didn't explain it, but the torso+head+arms, the legs+base and the wings were painted separately and only recently assembled. I wouldn't even dream of painting the wing gems with the Titan assembled.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looks Great !!! I was wondering where that Rhino went ! ;) ;D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Beautiful work on your Titan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

wooo, really pretty titan, I like it! For the pulsars, I'd to the main body bone, like the rest, then have a reddish glow around the vents to represent the "titanic energies", with silver for the tip and in between bits. I think that'd look dead neat :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the compliments everyone !

I think I am now leaning toward the "old" battlefield theme, and will probably do the pulsar in dark blue with some kind of white decoration on it... I am not to fond of metallic colours on eldars war engines so I probably won't use any.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:38 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Very nice!

Great details on the base and the titan is beautiful.
Really looking forward to seeing the rest of this thread!

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE
Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, a quick shameful update : I've made some progress on that phantom, it's been sitting in a near completed status for a month and an half now.

I started to paint the pulsar dark blue, with a gradient going to very light blue and eventually white in the "vents" in the middle. The gradient wasn't too bad, but it was applied on a surface that was a bit to large for my liking. Then i tried to smooth/reduce it with a wash, which proved catastrophic. I've been slacking, a bit unwilling to redo the damn thing ever since. I'll get to it as soon as I can get a wet palette sorted.

The rest of the titan is about finished (still need an additional bony white highlight, maybe some pure white too), the base is done and all but well.

I've started work on 2 formations of guardians with wave serpents, but I returned to my long standing terrain piece and kinda left the guardians to dry a bit longer. Then I got started on 2 warhound Titans for my new True scale AMTL, and to have something to show for the epicomp, and then the dog ate my homework, and my grandma died for the 3rd time this years, and yeah, I'm sorry, not much advancement.

But I'm trying !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Those gem stones came out nice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:03 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother