Login |  Register |  FAQ

TOEG: Major_Gilbear's Squats

Post subject: Re: TOEG: Major_Gilbear's Squats
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the kind comments guys!

I wanted the colour scheme to both reflect the harsh landscapes and the rich minerals of the Squat homeworlds as well as their Ad-Mech ties/origins... So Ad-Mech colours with lots of metals it was!

It also lets me share the Rhinos, Robots and Support weapons with the Ad-Mech if I want to, and I can always use the big superheavies as "counts as" Ordinatii too. :P

However, between the dying camera battery and the late-night lighting the picture is rather flat - I'll try and get some better pics of it in daylight soon.

I will start on the next models this week - so far some Goliaths look like a good bet, and I'd like to do some fliers too (as I now have possession of round stainless steel washers and clear acrylic rod to base them with). Are there any requests though, anything people would like to see sooner rather than later?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Lovelly paint job, nice and clean.

I say hearthguard next :P

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looking Good !!! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ceimeifukan wrote:
I say hearthguard next :P

Okay, I dug out my old copy of Epic Battles and checked to see what was in an old SM2 Squat Brotherhood, and based on that, I am currently assembling:

3 Exo Armour
3 Hearthguard
5 Thunderers (with Missile Launchers & Heavy Bolters)
5 Beserkers
10 Warriors

Each of the Hearthguard stands will have a weapon swap or two to reinforce their elite nature. The models above will also give me four more stands than I strictly need, but will make the selection more flexible in the E40k rules.

I will certainly end up doing more of every troop type, but getting that solid infantry core will do me for now. ;)

Also does anybody else remove Epic infantry mould lines? It's taking me forever, and it left me wondering what other folks did!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Major_Gilbear wrote:
Also does anybody else remove Epic infantry mould lines? It's taking me forever, and it left me wondering what other folks did!

I have enough trouble painting the damn lil people! You think I trying to get rid of mold lines?!?!? LOL>>>>LOL!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, a lot of the old models did have sprue connections in odd places, and frequently on tops of heads or weapons too... So while I was at it, I though "what the hell" and started cleaning up all around the line.

Also, are WIP shots worth posting? Or just the painted models?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Started on the Goliaths as well this evening. They just need puttying and undercoating now before they are ready for painting.

Got more stands de-mould-lined too! :P

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:07 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Quote:
Also does anybody else remove Epic infantry mould lines? It's taking me forever, and it left me wondering what other folks did

Yep, i tend to do it in front of the TV/a film, just sit there with a cutting matt, a knife and pile of infantry (i know, i live an exciting life :D ) The worst ones ive had have been the couple of chaos horde boxes i got this year, purchased new from GW, i don't know if their mould is somehow dieing or if they have some new, incompetent staff, but, for a few of the zerkers and beastmen the flash was bigger than the fig ???

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Heh, I do exactly same as Apocolocyntosis. I turn TV or dvd on and clean figs while 'following' the movie. Afterwards thou I have no idea what happaned in the movie :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The (one) modeling-related benefits of having young kids is that you can "supervise" them while cleaning mold lines and basing. I am slowly teaching them to contribute. The older one (3) can make vehicle bases now: Put spackle on washer, flatten, done. They both paint but the output is still a bit abstract :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Apocolocyntosis wrote:
Quote:
Also does anybody else remove Epic infantry mould lines? It's taking me forever, and it left me wondering what other folks did

Yep, i tend to do it in front of the TV/a film, just sit there with a cutting matt, a knife and pile of infantry (i know, i live an exciting life :D ) The worst ones ive had have been the couple of chaos horde boxes i got this year, purchased new from GW, i don't know if their mould is somehow dieing or if they have some new, incompetent staff, but, for a few of the zerkers and beastmen the flash was bigger than the fig ???

If I tried to do the same I'm certain there'd be entire armies of assorted figures lost down the back of the sofa.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Apocolocyntosis wrote:
Quote:

I had the same problem with an order this year. So I complained and they sent a free box.... Always complain about excessive flash!

I remove most flash but dont get over excited about it too much with 6mm. Def in 28mm though. I listen to a podcast and bang through them no problem.

I like work in progress shots when things are being built / sculpted so yo can see what goes into the design / creation.

:)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in my hatred of mouldlines! I often get concerned (but loving) looks from my GF after I've spent several hours hunched over the tiddlers with a file and a sharp scalpel. :P

As far as complaining about those sorts of casts or misaligned sprues, I usually do TBH. But then again, I seem to get a much higher rate of miscasts than my friends do, and I find myself calling Grandma Wendy every third order recently (well "recently" as I've ordered pretty infrequently from them in the last ten years or so).

Anyway, I will be snapping some pix tonight, so I'll stop by the worktable and grab a few WIPs to show here.

Also, I have had a super suggestion on this board for a source of Squat-suitable axes (i.e. Ork Kommandos), so I may be revisiting some of the assembled infantry. The plan is to have a little more than two full SM2-size Brotherhoods, with one of them having some conversions and modifications on every stand so that I can give them the Veteran upgrade when I use them in E40k (if I want to, anyway). The other Brotherhood will remain plain and will be assembled just like the SM2 stuff was.

This is good because I'll need the troops anyway, and I can differentiate the companies quite easily even if they are painted in the same scheme (which also neatly solves my issue of how to paint and identify duplicate units on the tabletop).

The only downside is having to clean six more stands of Thunderers and make more bases... Ah well!

I've also made a start on the artillery company this week. The Thudd Guns won't be the old plastic ones, and will feature some conversion too. Each TG will have a crew of two (already converted). The ten Mole Mortars will be on smaller bases and have a single crew member each - these will be the old classics with no conversions.

The Goliaths have been cleaned, filed and plasticarded, and are awaiting putty and basing (but bases are already made from last month). These venerable models have some pretty horrific mouldlining on the carriages that I simply cannot remove, so puttying over them is going to be interesting*!

* Of course, by "interesting", I really mean "a bloody pain in the arse"! ::)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:54 pm 
Will the Thudd guns be Spudd guns?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

They should be. Did you know that a portion of chip shop chips (not fries *points at our american cousins*) made from Spudds has more vitamin C than an apple?