Login |  Register |  FAQ

TOEG: Major_Gilbear's Squats

Post subject: Re: TOEG: Major_Gilbear's Squats
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@ Otterman:

Yes, the Thudd Guns will be based on Spudd Guns! :) I am going to give them treads and each trailer will have little tracks. I love the current design (especially for the IG), but I wanted something just a smidge more high-tech for the Squats - I'm tying them a bit more to their Ad-Mech origins, and I think these sorts of details all help.

Anyway, I have a pic here of the current Brotherhood (more stands are still being assembled though to give me: 10 stands of Warriors, 6 stands of Thunderers, 6 stands of Berzerkers, 3 stands of Hearthguard, and 3 stands of Exo-Armour):

I also have a pic of the Goliaths before I putty them. They are going onto the painting table this week/weekend I think!

I know WIPs aren't too jazzy, but there'll be some more colour soon! ;)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Otterman wrote:
Will the Thudd guns be Spudd guns?

I had a mate when we were kids that got shot in the ear with a spudd gun and the spud went right in his ear and he had to go to hospital and have it taken out. lol

Also chips generally after being frozen, cooked in oil then left in a deep fryer pan are going to lose ALOT of vitamin C. Stick with the apples ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Very nice work on the Colussus! Inspiring as I've just begun painting mine ;D I hadn't thought of two toned barrels, but might venture down the path now - just with yellow and black stripes :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Feel free to copy! (I'll be lifting your hazard stripes to some extent for my Mole Mortars because I liked them that much!)

The main reason I went two-tone was that I didn't think emphasising the size of the main guns was a good idea - they dominate the model enough as it is!

I also added little discs of plastic card/tube to the gun muzzles, and then drilled those out (did the same with my Goliaths). I think it adds visual interest to the rather plain-looking guns, reduces the bore a bit, and means that I don't damage a vintage model by drilling great big holes in it!

If you want to go down that route yourself, you could consider making the diameter of the plastic a big bigger and the bore a bit smaller than I did... That would give you space to put a ring of little holes around the end of the muzzle like this:

(edit: whoops accidentally hit the Edit instead of the quote button. Damn Mod-rights. Sorry for editing your post MG WMN)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Bah, looks like I'm going to be struggling to finish this month!

Best case scenario is that I get 225 points done in time... Which is about 150 points short! Technically, I could do more next month and overall I could still be on target, but I feel that rather goes against the spirit of the challenge! :(

Sigh, infantry are such a timesink; I did spend a long time on them this month.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Chap, don't beat yourself up :D, you are a consistant source of inspiration to me with for painting my Khazari :D.

Keep up the great work!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Incidentally the EW Guild Cyclops Mortar has these small holes on the muzzle too. The caluber is too small to be of use on the goliath, but it night be worth considering for smaller Squat guns. (Which reminds me: I need to make a Guild Sturmtiger by adding a Cyclops gun on a Triden tank Hunter chassis at some point...)

Nobody expects the Inquisition!!!
http://theepiclounge.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the support guys.

Despite my best efforts last night, I'm still only going to get the Goliaths done this month I think. I could rush them and just about manage another 150pts of something else on top, but I feel that I'd rather do 225pts properly than 375pts badly. Unfortunately, I'm a slow painter, and whilst deadlines do help give me some urgency, I still struggle to get stuff quickly painted to a standard I'm happy with. :(

As for the bases Rastamann, I made them myself. Here's how:

They are 40mm x 15mm, and are made of two layers of plasticard. A 1mm thick upper layer is bonded with solvent (Ambroid Pro Weld) to a lower layer that is 0.75mm thick.

- Basically, you score them out with a sharp blade in a grid on you plasticard sheets, and then snap them all out.
- Stack the 1mm plates into piles of about 10, and bind them tightly with masking tape.
- Drill your holes carefully through the taped stacks with a household powerdrill; first 2mm holes, then again with 4mm, and finally with 6mm.
- Remove the tape from the stacked plates, separate them them out and then stick the drilled plates one-by-one to the blank 0.75mm plates.
- When they are dry, I polish the edges and round the corners with very fine sandpaper.
- If you do them in bulk, you should be able to do 60 bases in about 3 hours of work time (which is a base every three minutes).