Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

ToEG: Helge's Log

Post subject: Re: ToEG: Helge's Log
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quick update from the weekend (though half of it was spent in a plane :( ): I completed phase 1 of the basing processes for all remaining LatD models except the Ketzali (not yet arrived). Phase 1 means Drydex spackle on all the bases and models/stones/ruins embedded in them. Once everything is dry I will go to phase 2 (gluing down sand) and then painting of the bases. I also made up ~50 empty vehicle bases (empty except ruins and stones). Unfortunately I ran out of infantry sized washers during the process! This means that I crossed the 1000 infantry bases threshold for Epic during this project (I buy fender washers in lots of 1000). And I thought they would last forever... Well, I will need to try and find another 1k box somewhere... At least those will see me through LatD and any other possible Epic army on the horizon (Eldar and Nids are already based so the only other forces that I can possible think of are Squats, Necrons, Tau, Dark Eldar and Adeptus Mechanicus. ~1k bases of infantry ought to be enough for those if I ever get tempted).

I also managed to assemble all remaining vehicles and started some conversion work on the Nurgle altar. Pics to follow in the next few days.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Another evening of assembly. Apoc's cutlery monster are beautiful but a nightmare to assemble for somebody with big lumpy fingers like me...

Progress overall is good, but I still have to actually paint the missing 200 points for this month. At least most units are assembled and based now (though some miss sand). I am going to add a status summary to the first post to track overall progress.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Helge wrote:
Another evening of assembly. Apoc's cutlery monster are beautiful but a nightmare to assemble

Oh man, I can definately agree to this. It was the one time where I found Blu Tac and Super Glue together are not good for Epic minis :P

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yup. I followed the "instructions" (mounting the body on a pile of blue tac before gluing on the legs) and found that after gluing the first two legs I had added a good 1/4" of solidified blue tac to the model...

After much cursing and glued fingers I ended up cutting off parts of the model on both sides until I reached a thick area, drilling into those, wire-framing with thin steel wire, and then re-sculpting the original detail on the wire frame with green stuff. The models are gorgeous though! That lad got talent!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:55 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Helge wrote:
After much cursing and glued fingers I ended up cutting off parts of the model on both sides until I reached a thick area, drilling into those, wire-framing with thin steel wire, and then re-sculpting the original detail on the wire frame with green stuff.

:o er wow, i just superglue them together and add very small bits of GS to gap joins afterwards if needed. The fiddle for me was getting all 8 toes touching the ground at once ;D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:32 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Actually if i get time this evening im gonna do an illustrated step-by-step assembly then, i could use another formation anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The problem was getting it to stand at a height so as you could place the legs on evenly.

That usually meant using Blu Tac to hold it in position.

Problem is Super Glue spreads after being released. :P

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
er wow, i just superglue them together and add very small bits of GS to gap joins afterwards if needed. The fiddle for me was getting all 8 toes touching the ground at once

But remember that YOU are the shamelessly talented artist who actually sculpted this incredible stuff. Of courses its straightforward for YOU to "just" assemble it. That's like saying "Einstein had no problem just deriving general relativity from special relativity - why was it a problem for you physics students?" ::)

Anyhow, they are assembled now and looking awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:34 pm 
I am somehow reminded of this cartoon:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Apocolocyntosis wrote:
Helge wrote:
After much cursing and glued fingers I ended up cutting off parts of the model on both sides until I reached a thick area, drilling into those, wire-framing with thin steel wire, and then re-sculpting the original detail on the wire frame with green stuff.

:o er wow, i just superglue them together and add very small bits of GS to gap joins afterwards if needed. The fiddle for me was getting all 8 toes touching the ground at once ;D

I have a solution for modelling these multiple legged / toed models. I will be assembling a scorpion which has multiple legs. I am just going to glue the legs on fairly hap-hazard then green stuff the gaps. Now here comes the trick. Sculpt the base that I will put the multiple legged monstrosity with green stuff so the the terrain matches the legs heights rather than worrying about matching the legs to the terrain height!!! Magic!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Otterman wrote:
I have a solution for modelling these multiple legged / toed models. I will be assembling a scorpion which has multiple legs. I am just going to glue the legs on fairly hap-hazard then green stuff the gaps.

Easier said than done! You are gluing two fairly heavy lead parts on a flat cross section of maybe 0.5mm diameter. Just getting it to stick was the problem for me :)

Anyhow, the job is done and its a good'un.

Great comic Otter!

Last edited by Helge on Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A quick progress update with some photos.

http://wargamingworkshop.wordpress.com/ ... e-on-latd/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:50 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Great looking altars

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Second basing step is completed: Putting sand on all the bases (except the as yet unbased Ketzali for lack of washers). 5 backbreaking hours of sanding. I hate this step. I swear, it is by a wide margin the biggest time suck for 6mm Epic models. It implies putting on thinned Weldbond glue, pouring on sand, using a stiff bristle brush to "wash" each model with some water (this rinses glued on stray sand of the models) and then give it a quick flick with a dry stiff bristle brush to get any remaining loose sand off.

I am sure that is an easier way to do this, but after 1000+ epic bases I haven't found it yet :). For bigger models I use pre-blackened pumice but for the small stuff this is pretty hopeless (at least at my level of hand-eye coordination other rather what is left of it after a few hours of basing).

As a small reward for this accomplishment I converted up a Tzeentch and Slaneesh altar, as well as a Khorne objective. I will put up some pics tomorrow.

The goal for tomorrow is to paint the bases and then the actual painting can begin (well, until Monday when those washers hopefully arrive and I can base another 50+ Ketzali bases and a few dozen left-over bases :( ).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Updated with pics of the remaining two altars and Khorne objective (all wip).

http://wargamingworkshop.wordpress.com/ ... ep-for-me/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next