Login |  Register |  FAQ

Onslaught 6mm Combat - Rules Discussion

Post subject: Re: Onslaught 6mm Combat - Rules Discussion
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Your rum s Text is well written and I like it so far. It feels like a modern streamlined game. There are some thoughts about the structure. I thinki would put unit stats at the beginning otherwise you countless references will invoke confusion. Sure the experienced wargame will have no problem new players should be catered to as well.

I am not to fond of the regret text. But can't identify my issue.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks DasBilligeAlien. I'll place the unit stats earlier in the document.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Next Section:

IV. Moving Units:

When executing some orders, models are physically moved across the table up to a number of centimeters equal to their Movement (MV) stat.

To move a unit, select a single model in the unit, and move it to it’s new location, making sure it does not exceed its MV stat in cm. Models can move in any direction they wish, and make as many turns as they wish during this move. It is sometimes important to know the exact path this “Lead Model” takes as it moves – especially when there are enemy models waiting to Ambush you (Ambushes are described under the “Overwatch” section of this rulebook).

After the lead model is moved, all other models in its unit are moved to join it, and must be placed according to unit formation restrictions. Once models are placed, they may be turned to face any direction you wish. A unit’s facing is important when shooting – especially for vehicles. Remember that no model can move more than it’s MV stat in centimeters.

Unit Formation -
Every model in Onslaught is represented by one or more miniatures mounted to a base of various sizes. When moving your units, you are required to keep each model within a certain distance of at least one other model in their unit. This is called "Unit Formation". Unit formation is 3cm for infantry and cavalry models, 6cm for vehicle models, and 12cm for Flyers. This means the maximum distance between an infantry base and another model's base in its unit is 3cm, while vehicles can be up to 6cm away from other models in its unit, and Flyers 12cm. If a unit has one or more models further away from any other model in their unit (due to casualties for instance), the model is considered to be "Out of Formation".

The Infantry model on the left is out of formation, as it is too far away from any other model in the unit.

If your unit is out of formation, and is issued an order which allows it to move, it must move in a way which will bring the unit back into formation if at all possible.

For each model out of formation after a unit is issued an order, the unit gains 1 stress token.

Terrain -
The Terrain that can be found on your typical battlefield can block or slow units that attempt to move through it. Terrain will have one of four effects on any unit that moves onto it:

No Effect: The unit can move freely through this terrain with no effect on its movement.

Difficult: You must spend 2cm of movement for each cm moved through difficult terrain.

Dangerous: The terrain can prove fatal or disabling to the unit as it moves through it. Each time this terrain is entered by an affected model, roll a dice. If a 1-3 is rolled, the unit takes an automatic hit with no save roll.

Impassable: The unit may not move onto or through the terrain at all. If a unit is forced to move into such terrain for any reason, it is immediately destroyed.

Below is listed various types of terrain and the effects it has on each type of unit. The battlefields of the universe can feature an endless variety of terrain, so if your battlefield features terrain types that are not listed here, bizarre alien geography for example, make sure all players know the type of effects it has on the game. The easiest way to do this is to pick a “normal” terrain feature that it most resembles, but if everyone agrees, feel free to make your own house rules for it.

Some terrain effects are impassable to all units - sheer cliffs, canyons, deep water, boiling lava flows, etc. If such terrain exists on the table, make sure that all players know that the terrain in question is impassable to every unit in play - though it should be fairly obvious.

Embarking & Disembarking -
A unit may choose to board another friendly unit with the “transport” trait, so long as it’s the appropriate type. For example - many APCs have the “Transport X Infantry” trait, allowing it to carry “X” number of infantry models. Some large Transports may be allowed to Transport Cavalry or even Vehicle units.

In order for a unit to “Embark” upon another, two criteria must be met. First, the unit attempting to embark must be of the allowed type. Second, the Transport model or unit must have enough space to accommodate the entire embarking unit. If these criteria are met, then the embarking unit may board the desired transports by using a “Charge”, “Advance”, or “Rally” order. As long as at least one model in the unit can reach base-to-base contact their chosen transports, the entire unit is considered to have boarded their transports.

Once embarked, remove the unit from the table, but keep note of which model or unit is transporting it. Units that are being transported may only be issued “Advance” or “Rally” orders. Once an embarked unit receives an “Advance” or “Rally” order, place all transported units within base contact of their transports, and then move them normally. Alternatively, you may choose to keep the unit embarked - in which case the transported unit does nothing for the turn but remain in their transports. Some Transports have the "Fire Ports x" trait which will allow transported units to fire their weapons from the transport as part of an Advance order, from the arc/s listed as "x".

If a Transport model is destroyed while another unit is embarked within it, place the embarked models in base contact with their transports. Each transported model takes an automatic hit and must roll their Armor Save to survive. Each model lost in this way generates a stress token for the transported unit.

That's all for this section - next up, Ballistic Comabt. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I do like the formation rules, and the movement rules look good so far; Noticing that you have not yet taken skimmers into effect, so ids that going to be part of standard vehicle movement?
For my part, I'd use the same columns and have Skimmers as No Effect/Difficult/Difficult/Impassable. That seems more reasonable and also gives a small advantage to Skimmer forces in some areas.

Other than that, no problems - These rules are looking very good and a lot more straightforward than many other 6mm rules out there (y)

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I really like the rules so far. They are very clear and well written.
Regarding set orders system, I do find it interesting, but problematic at the same time. You would need tokens with orders on them (quite a lot) or tokens with numbers and a sheet of paper where yoy write which number does what.
I would include this as an optional rule for longer strategical engagements rather than being an obligatory rule.

I very like blind bag activations, I only played bolt action once, but I really liked what it brought to the game. I belive it already is limitiing player enough, so you don't need set orders system.

I am really looking forward to these rules and getting some models. Regarding unit size, I would prefer it to be quite small, I mean we have Net EA where infantry company consists of 13 stands so I hope here a size for a standard infantry unit would be around 6 in this gamw. I don't know what you have in mind but that's my suggestion.

Either way, I can't wait to learn more.

Flickr|Flickr#2|Brickshefl
"There ain't no thing as enuff dakka! Enuff's more than you got, an' less than too much, an' there's no such thing as too much dakka!"