Login |  Register |  FAQ

Roadkill Zombie's trying to paint log

Post subject: Roadkill Zombie's trying to paint log
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hello everyone,

I think it has been slightly over a year since I posted anything here. It has been a tough year so I haven't gotten any painting done at all. I am hoping things start looking better for me in the future and hopefully I will have time to start painting again.

I want to start by painting up some Titans so I can start up an AMTL list.

So here are the pics of what I have

I think I will begin with the Warhound Titan's first, although I have been wanting to fix the bad paint jobs on my Warlords for years.

I think I may try to get an old school paint job on them though. Maybe from Legio Ignatum because they have many titans still around that have been personally blessed by the Emperor! ;D

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Roadkill Zombie's trying to paint log
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ooh, are those ones you've had lying around, waiting to be built?

Personal & Wargaming Blog: http://www.theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk

EPIC WIP: Grey Knights, Space Wolves, Eldar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, I've had these for years. Someone else painted them up and I got them in a trade for some Warmachine miniatures. I have eleven more beetleback warlords that I wanted to convert into Chaos titans...

and I've got a bunch of titan weapons of many different types so I can arm them however I wish.

my only concern is that I'm not sure I want to paint the weapons in the same colors as the titans or if I should just paint them in a generic metal color so they can be transferred to other titans if I need to.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Holy heck that is a LOT of Titan. If you ever plan on finding a home for one or two warlords/reavers I might know a guy...

Looking forward to seeing your progress towards a whole legion!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks Doomkitten.

I've been wanting a few more reaver's myself. After looking at what it takes to do a 3k AMTL list though I may have to break this up and paint a couple of different Legio.

So I think I will do Legio Ignatum, it's got a red paint scheme with lots of fire symbols, Legio Victorum, with navy blue and silver trim, and maybe some from Legio Destructor (The Beasts of Steel). I would probably paint these in a green color scheme due to them being near the Ork Empire of Charadon.

But if any of the Princeps of the Warlord titan's get tired of working for any of these Legio, they may find they've been transferred to the High Lord Doomkitten part of the galaxy :P

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Heck of a lot of stuff to paint!

Looking forward to its progress!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Roadkill Zombie wrote:
But if any of the Princeps of the Warlord titan's get tired of working for any of these Legio, they may find they've been transferred to the High Lord Doomkitten part of the galaxy :P

Legio Crucius always needs battle hardened god-engines! I have a feeling you'll be finished all three legions before I've got half way through mine, of course.

The ones you've picked should look very striking together, are you thinking of one Legio at a time, or a couple from each and sort of cycling through as the urge takes? Always interested to hear how people motivate themselves through big projects like this.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@ Primarch: Thanks. It will probably take a while but I've got to get it done. It probably won't be much harder than painting 40k scale Space Marines to be honest. So how is your progress on the Primarchload coming? Have you had a chance to paint any of that stuff yet? I used to think I had more Epic stuff than anyone else I knew of until I saw your collection.

@ Doomkitten: I think I will do one Legio at a time so I don't have to keep remembering the correct mix of paints. It just makes it easier for me that way.

I had a closer look at some of my Warlord titans and I realized that the guy who painted them used Testor's oil paint on them so they are definitely going to require a re-paint. How to get the Testors oil paint off of plastic models without ruining them might be quite a trick though.

Today was the primer day so no real pics of anything yet. Hopefully they will be dry by tomorrow and I can get some painting done on them.

So if you were making a Titan Legion, would you make the weapons on the Titan permanent or would you make them interchangeable?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, I got a little bit of painting done today. Instead of doing the Warhound Titans like I originally thought, I decided to finish up some half painted miniatures. I needed to finish my Legio Destructor Titans because they needed very little done to them before they were complete. The only thing left to do on them is the basing.
They began looking like this:

I had to put yellow lining around the edges of the third Titan and straighten out some of the stripes, and black lining parts of the Titans. So here is an individual shot of each of the Warlords.

This one has a Corvus Assult Head on it.

This one has a Dragon Weapon Head on it.

And this one just has a normal head on it.

This is all three of them together:

And the whole painted Legio:

So hopefully in a few days I will have finished those Warhounds I was talking about for Legio Ignatum.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I love how rich your yellow looks!

To answer the question from earlier - I'm planning to magnetise all my weapons as/when I assemble titans, but then I don't have nearly the trove of god-engines that you have. They'll also end up as good Ordinatus weapons if you expand into a full Mechanicus list and magnetise the carriers. Just be sure to get all the magnets the right way. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks Doomkitten.

Here's how I did the yellow if you are interested. I began by painting the area white that I wanted to be yellow. Then I added three coats of what used to be called Bad Moon yellow in the old GW paints ( I still have a bottle of that stuff). After letting the third coat dry to the point of being very sticky but not completely dry, I added two more layers of a Minitaire airbrush paint called "Craven". When applying it I made sure there were no streaks in it by applying the paint evenly throughout the whole miniature. Then let it dry overnight and you're good.

Thanks for telling me how you plan on putting the weapons on your Titans. ;D

I don't believe I've seen a mechanicus list yet. Is that a list that uses the Ordinatus Mars, Golgotha, and the other one who's name escapes me at the moment?

EDIT: Well, I did a little more searching on Titan's and I guess the way the green ones are painted is the same color scheme as a Titan Legion called Legio Astramana (Morning Stars). I think I like that better than the Legio Destructors anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Roadkill Zombie wrote:
I don't believe I've seen a mechanicus list yet. Is that a list that uses the Ordinatus Mars, Golgotha, and the other one who's name escapes me at the moment?

Without wanting to go too far off topic for a painty thread, there is a lovely Mechanicus list over here.

It has Mechanicus infantry, robots, robot infantry, various sizes of Ordinatus (including the original/older ones you mentioned, as well as ones that take titan weapons, hence the magnetising) and many shiny tank types too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks Doomkitten.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Very cool!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks Primarch.

Ok, I got some progress on the Legio Ignatum. I began by putting the first coat of black on the parts that need it so they basically began like this

And then I was able to put some metallic lining on the parts that need it on the first Warhound. I also added a bit of drybrush to the doggie head to see what it would turn out like. I'm not sure if I like it but I guess it isn't too bad.

I'm hoping these turn out better looking when they are done then they do now.