Login |  Register |  FAQ

HOTT Berkely 2012 - 1st & 2nd September, Slimbridge, UK

Post subject: HOTT Berkely 2012 - 1st & 2nd September, Slimbridge, UK
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hordes of the Things event to be held at Tudor Arms, slimbridge, Glos, England.

4 games each day, 15mm and 28mm catered for.

£12 entry. Commemorative momento for all and raffle to be held.

Accommodation available at The Tudor Arms or local B&Bs.

Welcome to stay late to continue to pay games and enjoy pub grob and a few beers.

For more details please contact me at
stenicplus at onetel dot com

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: HOTT Berkely 2012 - 1st & 2nd September, Slimbridge, UK
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:05 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Bit late in the day for me, but I might consider next year.

Is it expensive to get an army?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:13 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

AFAIK it's completely generic, so if you've got a selection of 15/28mm models which represent generic things like 'archers' and 'knights' and the like, you're all set.....

I can imagine it might make for some very silly matchups with scifi 'archers' with rayguns against medieval peasants with longbows

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:18 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

kyussinchains wrote:
I can imagine it might make for some very silly matchups with scifi 'archers' with rayguns against medieval peasants with longbows

Can even use epic minis, example HOTT armies using epic figures here: http://wargamehistory.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... -hott.html

Also the HOTT 2nd edition rules are now a free pdf and the book includes loads of sample armies, including aliens and stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:20 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I believe Curis made an army out of cheese at one point.....

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tiny-Tim wrote:
Bit late in the day for me, but I might consider next year.

Is it expensive to get an army?

Yes, sorry. I post on the sites I use regularly and forgot this one, plus I've become complacent now we've been running 12 years and most of the regular attendees know it's always the 1st weekend in September.

Expensive? Not really but of course it's relative to what figures you buy. As mentioned HOTT is quite generic in its classification of troop types, flavour comes from the army that you paint and your terrain. Armies are 24 points each, stands of troops can be valued at 1,2,3,4 or 6 points, higher the value better the troops...but see below. Stands can hold from 2 to 6 figures subject to scale and troop type. so you'd be looking at £10 to £15 for a 15mm army, £25+ for a 28mm army subject to source of the figures.

Many people just re-use ancient or medieval armies and but the odd character figure to represent more important personalities.

Because it's generic you don't have to have fantays figures but can use what ever you like, just fit your troops into the classifications. As also mentioned this can lead to seemingly bizarre match-ups of bows vs bolters but thar's also part of the appeal for some as it provides for many laughs at the incongruity of situations... a Baywatch army with David Hasselhof being attacked by hordes of zombies; Fu Man Chu and his henchmen take on Imperial Guard in Pith helmets and redcoats etc...

There have indeed been numerous armies made of food, dried pasta, cheese... one even where the stands were eaten once removed from the table!!

Ultimately it's a fun well balance game with a paper/scissors/rock style combat so even powerfull troops have an achilles heal. And there is a pdf copy on the internet made available by the authors, althoug it is minus the lists, possibly for legal reasons. But then they are just sample lists and you may do as you please.

HOTT V2.0 rules:
http://www.wrg.me.uk/WRG.net/History/HO ... =HOTT2.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Rug wrote:
I've got these rules and always wanted to learn to play properly and attend an event! Alas, it is probably a bit too late in the day for me to commit, maybe. Next time though.

Btw, I'd be using suitably based Epic models of course!

Rug, no problem. If you change your mind we can usually take people on the day although you risk missing the shiny momento. You'd certainly not fee lout of depth if you came despite not having games under your belt, whilst it is a tourney that is really just to generate matches and playing partners, it's more about playing and having fun. Some of the players bring their kids and we always get them involved too.

You may of course just come and watch if you are close enough and soak up the atmosphere without having to play (or pay even as it's held in a pub), that too is a good way to get a feel of the rules.

And Epic figures would be fine ;D Mamy players have used Epic figures to creat armies already.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Used to enjoy DBA very much a few years ago...

Can I ask how important base depths are in the game? I can't make the weekend but I do have a warmaster dwarf army kicking about that I could make work if the stock 40 x 20 base doesn't break everything?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The 40 wide by 20 deep would not really be an issue for players and the rules do say the base depths are the recomended minima to help indicat fighting style. Youd have to sabot base any warmaster cavalry or artillery on a 20mm wide base or just double them up as width is important.

There may be a minor game impact in that stands that recoil does so either the distance equal to their base depth or base width, which ever is lthe east. Put simply if your base is deeper than it is wide then just recoil 40mm width, otherwise your base depth.

In HOTT Dwarven blades would be on a 15mm deep base normally (as per blades in DBA of course) so only recoil 15mm, but for you it would be 20mm. This is only an issue if there is something blocking them and that happens infrequently enough to not adversely impact the game, especially if you are carefull ;D .

So in a nutshell, it certainly doesn't break the game and it's not worth rebasing.