Login |  Register |  FAQ

New Rules about Buildings

Post subject: New Rules about Buildings
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi to all

In our group, we are debating about how buildings should work in the game, as we find some kind of troubles in our games (how to measure height, for example, to mantain coherency, or what happens when your miniatures couldnĀ“t touch enemy units situated on a roof)

We generate the next ideas about them:

When occupying a building, the entire unit will have to move in contact with the building; in this moment, the unit embarks in it (it represents the moment when the infantry troops garrisoned inside the building, taking the windows and the entrances; the miniatures are removed from game board as if they were transported). In the case of mechanized formations (infantry + transports), the transports must mantain the coherency by keeping 5 cm from any point of the building perimeter.

All ranges and line of sight can be drawn from any point at the edge of the terrain (perimeter). This works for both sides, so enemy units could open fire to the unit inside the building if they can see the building or the building is inside his maximun range (not the minis).

Unit inside the building gain cover as usual.

Leaving the building is like disembark from a WE.

A building that is already occupied cannot be entered by any other unit, friendly or not (only one formation per building)

Enemy units could assault the formation inside the building if they activate and finalize their move at 15 cm or less from the building perimeter. If the assaulting unit wins, it could occupy the building with their consolidation move. If the defender unit lose the assault, they flee from the building.

Artillery.- In this case, instead of using the barrage template, if a player wants to use barrage vs a unit inside a building, the unit recieves 1d6 shots for every template the shot uses (for example, 6 BP = 2d6 shots). The rest is resolved by the same manner.

If one barrage template touches a building occupied, it doesnt affect to the units inside (you should fire vs the units inside or outside the building, as happens with the units inside/outside cover)

This is, almost, the thoughts about using the buildings in a more realistic manner.

Feel free to comment/opine ;)

Thank you

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: New Rules about Buildings
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

For what it's worth, the default is that they are area terrain with no mention of vertical height mattering for anything.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

that's an UK convention. It's not always so everywhere else (though I prefer it myself)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
that's an UK convention. It's not always so everywhere else (though I prefer it myself)

Not that I'm aware of. That's just the standard terrain rules, as per the rulebook. Not the abstract LoF stuff from EpicUK events.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The vertical coherency question is not addressed at all in the rulebook, most people I have come across just ignore it, ie coherency is purely horizontal, and in all other respects just treat them as if everything is on the same level (including when determining btb). That takes care of most issues with buildings, but it works much better on the table if the buildings have flat tops.

Your system is certainly a unique one, but I am sure it can work. It strikes me that you have not defined at all how hit allocation would work in shooting or assaults which seems quite important, and I wasn't sure how to interpret the dismount mechanic - can they dismount as part of their own move or must they waste a turn dismounting at the end of the transport (building)'s "move". Also should I infer that it's not possible to close combat a unit occupying a building, or are you saying you can base all the units inside so long as within 5cm of the building? Do they still have a ZoC? It seems very powerful.

A couple things you said made me wonder about how you're playing some rules more generally. For instance with barrage, it works differently from regular shooting so rather than giving you a number of a shots you roll to hit specific units individually. Your D6 solution makes sense (allocation problems notwithstanding) but when you mention that the attacker must choose either in or out of cover 'as normal' it sounds a bit odd, since that is not the case for barrage normally - any unit under the template would be eligible to be hit individually and only those in cover would be at -1.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

IJW Wartrader wrote:
jimmyzimms wrote:

Not that I'm aware of. That's just the standard terrain rules, as per the rulebook. Not the abstract LoF stuff from EpicUK events.

You would be incorrect. Vertical is not addressed in the rulebook for formation coherence. Normally this isn't going to be anything typically worried about other than here, the OP is discussing detailed fun building terrain rule enhancements and in this case noting this isn't the case in the rules as written may be important for them to be aware of potential arguments or local meta issues that could crop up. However it's silly to worry about it imo.

Edit : kyrt covered it. Should have read to end prior to posting.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!