Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Questoris Mechanicus (Developmental)

Post subject: Re: Questoris Mechanicus v1.47 (experimental)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:39 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Yes, quite curious. I think you may find that it's slightly underpowered. Using the Knightwold list as a rough guide, I'm able to get in a similar number of formations but 4 of those formations seem weaker either due to weaker units ( armigers) or fewer units (lancers).

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Vaaish wrote:
Yes, quite curious. I think you may find that it's slightly underpowered. Using the Knightwold list as a rough guide, I'm able to get in a similar number of formations but 4 of those formations seem weaker either due to weaker units ( armigers) or fewer units (lancers).

Maybe! But it also got access to Titans, and is a lot more shooty than Knight World, so it might even out. Simply upgrading a Questoris Knight to a Dominus Knight for example creates a type of formation that has no equivalent in Knight world, with a ton of shooting. And running 1 Lancer + 2 Castigators makes for a pretty dangerous Cerastus Knight formation. Also think the buffed Bravery rule and Strat Rating 3 will prove useful.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:22 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Titans are a wash IMO. Cool for theme but they end up taking too many points out of the list. We'll see how it goes, but hopefully it doesn't require taking dominus knights to get things working. I'd like to be able to run with my knight models and get a decent force too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think it should be perfectly possible to skip the Dominus Knights. A list like this might be interesting for example:

Questoris Mechanicus (v1.48)
==================================================

QUESTORIS [550]
Knight-Gallant w. Baron (Ironstorm Missiles, Hvy Stubber, Questoris Shock Lance, Thunderstrike Gauntlet, Reaper Chainsword), 3 Knight-Warden (Gatling Cannon, Ironstorm Missiles, Hvy Stubber, Reaper Chainsword), Knight-Crusader (Questoris Battle Cannon, Gatling Cannon, 2 Hvy Stubbers, Icarus Autocannon)

QUESTORIS [325]
2 Knight-Preceptor (Las-Impulsor, Hvy Stubber, Thunderstrike Gauntlet), Knight-Crusader w. Seneschal (Questoris Battle Cannon, Gatling Cannon, 2 Hvy Stubbers, Icarus Autocannon)

QUESTORIS [325]
2 Knight-Errant (Thermal Cannon, Hvy Stubber, Thunderstrike Gauntlet), Knight-Crusader w. Seneschal (Questoris Battle Cannon, Gatling Cannon, 2 Hvy Stubbers, Icarus Autocannon)

CERASTUS [325]
Cerastus Knight-Lancer w. Seneschal (Cerastrus Shock Lance, Ion Gauntlet Shield), 2 Cerastus Knight-Castigator (Castigator Cannon, Tempest Warblade)

ARMINGER [175]
4 Knight-Helverin (2 Autocannons)

ARMINGER [175]
4 Knight-Helverin (2 Autocannons)

ARMINGER [175]
4 Knight-Warglaive (Thermal Spear, Reaper Chain-Cleaver)

ARMINGER [175]
4 Knight-Warglaive (Thermal Spear, Reaper Chain-Cleaver)

SKITARII [300]
2 Secutors, 8 Hypaspists, 1 Ordinatus Minorus-Corvus

SKITARII [300]
2 Secutors, 8 Hypaspists, 1 Ordinatus Minorus-Corvus

THUNDERBOLT SQUADRON [175]
2 Thunderbolts

I think the Skitarii formations will make a huge difference compared to Knight World, as you can actually use them to attack stuff, and not just sit around in cover.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:49 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

This list is pretty cool after having our game. Well 3 turns of it so far.

Looked like a decent horde across the field from me at the start but the Armingers are pretty squishy so they are a pretty cool knight alternative for scout/activation count. Also the 3DC knights are super cool and they pack some shooting. Time will tell with more games but I'm liking it heaps so far.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Glad to hear you liked it! I'm pretty pleased with the way it's playing too, tho it can get a bit messy with all the stats when a Lance of several different Knights get to shoot... The Crusader in particular has 4 different weapons to keep track of, and when that's added to a Dominus Knight you get like 7. Might have to take that into consideration in the future, or maybe it adds to the feel of the units.

I agree that the Armigers work pretty well. Very fragile, but I think the feeling is right.

Post subject: Re: Questoris Mechanicus v1.52 (experimental)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Post updated

Post subject: Re: Questoris Mechanicus v1.52 (Developmental)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:56 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I saw your comment on the batrep about the prophyrion being a bit situational due to all AT weapons. Have you thought about the Epic AU route for them? Make the missile pod BP3/AA5+ and give it autocannons instead of the lascannons?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I kind of like them being situational in a way, as they've got the best AA in the list. But perhaps they're too situational, so switching out the Lascannons for Autocannons might be a good idea. And the Hyperios missiles are already in the Imperial Fist list as being AT6+/AA5+, so I don't think here's much choice for those.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:01 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I think the EAU list calls it the Ironstorm launcher and combines the stats of both types so that could be an option too. Another option might be to drop lance on them and make the MW for the main cannons? Effectively the same thing as lance, but makes them still useful vs other targets.

I do think they could be made less situational though. It's a fairly large number of points to drop on a unit that's potentially "useless" and that could impact it showing up as a viable choice in lists.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Had another look at the Acastus Knights, and right now I'm leaning towards changing them to something like this:

Porphyrion:
2 x Magna Lascannon: 60cm, AT2+ Lance
2 x Autocannon
Helios Defense Missiles: 60cm, AA5+

Mechanicum:
2 x Acastus Conversion Beamer: 90cm, MW4+

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:24 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

dunno. the prophyrion seems a bit lackluster for an AA bunker.

4x ap5+ shots isn't that exciting... I'd still think about changing the magna cannons. What was the basis for their stats? 40k lists them as 10/2 ord2 large blast and I'm not certain how that ends up as AT2+ lance.

Also, I checked the IF list and I think you may have more leeway with the helios defense missiles. IF get HYPERIOS missies not HELIOS missiles so I think you could go with the EAU route with BP3/AA5+. That along with the Autocannons I think would make a good platform. Or even just with that and keeping the lascannons.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Problem I have with BP3/AA5+ is that I think it's pretty clear from the fluff that it's one or the other of ground attack or AA, not both. And I think it has a more defined role in the army with AA, particularly with 60cm AA.

The reason I think AT2+ Lance fits on the Manga Lascannons is that it feels like it should be a bigger Lascannon, not a Macro type weapon. It might be motivated to increase the range tho, 60cm feels a bit short.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Realized something else: The Dominus Knights are actually not bigger than the normal Questoris Knights. For some reason I had got into thinking that they were closer to the Acastus Knights in size... I've revised their weapons somewhat in response to this, and they're now DC2 instead of 3. I guess the good news is that they're now 50 points cheaper.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:15 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

On the aa missiles, that's a surprise for me. IIRC, the missiles are both air and ground in 40k, the modifier just means they can shoot air targets without penalty.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next