Login |  Register |  FAQ

Frank Herbert's Dune Tabletop RPG

Post subject: Frank Herbert's Dune Tabletop RPG
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:35 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/411 ... um=twitter

Quote:
“This is only the beginning of our big plans in tabletop for this captivating franchise,” said John-Paul Brisigotti, CEO of GF9. “Dune is a rich and wonderful universe, and we expect to produce an equally expansive and inspired line of games for years to come.”

“Gale Force Nine has consistently demonstrated a skill and passion for building successful tabletop game series alongside category leading partners and we are thrilled to announce this exciting addition to the Dune licensing program,” said Jamie Kampel, Vice President of Licensing & Partnerships for Legendary. “Legendary looks forward to a fun and meaningful contribution to this revered legacy property.”

The full range of products, including board and miniatures games, are scheduled to release just prior to the upcoming Dune theatrical release in 2020. GF9 plans to align with other game companies in numerous categories and formats for future releases as well.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/dune-is-getting ... 1828355349

Quote:
The first official Dune game to come out of this partnership will be a tabletop RPG, and it’s set to come out in late 2019. No word yet what it will be about or what parts of the franchise it will cover, but we do know it’s a collaboration with Modiphius, the team behind Star Trek Adventures and Tales From the Loop. Gale Force Nine’s CEO said it’s the first of many tabletop games they’re looking to produce over the next several years. So buckle your sandworm seatbelts.

Interesting developments. I myself would murder a busload of nuns for a skirmish Dune universe game myself.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Frank Herbert's Dune Tabletop RPG
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:21 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

They say including miniatures games. I’d look to their firefly adventures game for a general idea of what to expect.

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sounds like a great game, fantastic film that to this day is great to watch still.

Not sure what year the film came out, but if it was before GW they defo knicked the idea fro imperial guard from dune, the same as those floating droid things with wings, ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

40k was very much influenced by Dune, I mean...they've got a God Emperor, a big holy war to conquer the galaxy, and depend of Navigators (a human species variant) for space travel.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/bitsblitz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

don't forget super soldiers (Sardaukar Terror Troops :) )!!
Yeah the world of modern sci-fi has a monumental debt to Herbert

Anyone else remember the older Unicron/WotC Dune RPG? It was the RPG that should have been. The initial D20 port was never actually released though the PDF accidentally slipped off onto the internet ("whoops it fell off my hard drive"). It was an AMAZING take on it.

From one of the designers (Matt Colville)
Quote:
Well the data said that people wanted to play new, original characters in Dune, in the Main Storyline with the Kwisatz Haderach and everything you read in the novel, but they didn’t want to play the heroes in this story. They wanted the story of Dune to unfold as written, with their characters as sort of Rosencrantz & Guildensterning around. I believe the data indicated they wanted to have *some* influence on events, but not affect major changes.

It fell to me to figure out how to make that adventure. Initially I thought “man this is going to be a pain in the ass, that’s some pretty specific direction.” But I quickly realized I was completely wrong. As it turned out, it was easy. It was super easy. There’s a ton of amazing content happening right off-screen, in the novel, which they reference. Thufir says “We’ve sent an advance team to Arrakeen to clean out the palace,” YOU ARE that advance team. The first member of House Atreides on Arrakis! “We’re having the devil’s own time clearing out these sabotage devices, but we’re almost done,” because of YOUR work! Duncan mentions sending a team to meet with Stilgar and how well that went. YOU play those characters, the first members of House Atreides to meet the Fremen.

I hope the new game takes a similar view of things.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Also just thinking yesterday about the setting and how well it would lend itself to an actual skirmish TTG. One of the brilliant parts of the Dune setting was the presence of the Holtzman effect had on defense. Effectively creating near impregnable shields to fast moving objects. This meant things such as fancy sci-fi weapons, rapid fire long range weapons, etc became ineffective in that world. Instead short range weapons such as dart guns, 'slow pellet' rifles, infiltrating and spec ops over large open warfare, and ubiquitous hand to hand combat training became the norm. That just screams for a character based TTG

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

Post subject: Frank Herbert's Dune Tabletop RPG
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
Also just thinking yesterday about the setting and how well it would lend itself to an actual skirmish TTG. One of the brilliant parts of the Dune setting was the presence of the Holtzman effect had on defense. Effectively creating near impregnable shields to fast moving objects. This meant things such as fancy sci-fi weapons, rapid fire long range weapons, etc became ineffective in that world. Instead short range weapons such as dart guns, 'slow pellet' rifles, infiltrating and spec ops over large open warfare, and ubiquitous hand to hand combat training became the norm. That just screams for a character based TTG

I’ve always really liked the depiction of shielding and lasergun technology—I think it is one of the best explanations for why you’d need copious amounts of swords in the far future. The reaction of shields and laser weapons would also make for some interesting table top game implications! The Tolkien-esque attention to universe detail and consistency has always been one of the most enduring things to me (and I still think of Bene Gesserit command words every so often…).

I must say, I’ve never really considered RPGing in the Dune universe as is (which is strange given how awesome the background is). Perhaps that’s because of personally not wanting to insert myself into the main story? (Since it is such an iconic example of a specific story in a wide universe). Star Wars and WH40K can provide ways to engage in that same style of universe, which is probably why I like the edge of those universes so much. Maybe I should search for this mysterious old take on the RPG…? (I’ve had similar heretical thoughts about the old Star Wars RPG…).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What's this random pdfton my hard drive? Looks like it fell off someone's laptop. Hrmmm

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
What's this random pdfton my hard drive? Looks like it fell off someone's laptop. Hrmmm

Yo have to be careful of those, could be state espionage actors using RPGs as giant horses :P (actually a true story with a USB stick in my centre).

Did you only post this last week, @Jimmy? Maybe I’m remembering the PM (or maybe Tapatalk has gone mad)….